Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

wolverine...looks like the savage x

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:44 PM
shanty140

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wolverine...looks like the savage x

ORIGINAL: nitronz

No parts are the same between savage and wolverine ( except for maybe the tank holder and throttle linkage), Wolverine is also longer and lower and wolverine carries a much heavier roll bar as well as a steel engine plate to restrict flex. Wolverine front end is also tilted back for better suspension efficiency. To call wolverine a copy of a Savage is a nonsence. Such a statement would make any truck with the same chassis system a copy, which Savage was not the first to use. Early Raptor had some faults, like all, but not as many as Savage of that time and Raptor was mechanicaly higher spec'd than Savage at that time. Little has changed on Wolverine, second gear clutch has been modified to prevent damage to second gear, diff cases have been changed to prevent diff failure etc. All these improvements were made during RDlo0gics taking over. It is amusing that two respected names, like Shumacher and Rdlogics (who know more about performance RC's than most readers here), market Wolverine/Raptor. Nanda. ( who make Wolverine) , are seen in the top ten of international buggy racing more than many. Over the years, since the introduction of Raptor/Wolverine nearly every part of Savage has been upgraded and modified. Hopups are available for nealy every part of Savage, because they are needed. Demand is caused by need, need is caused by breakage.
Don't get a mad just because you purchased a garbage truck and now are trying to justify yourself. If these were SO much better then the Savage you would see the them all around, other then the Savage. You said the Savage is week...... Come on, even most fans of other trucks will admit the Savage it the toughest of ALL MT. The parts are on the market because people how own one know they can go full out and actually TRY to beak something, rather having more downtime then running. LOL and it must be a ***** trying to find parts for your Wolverine. LOL You just said that the Raptor had some faults, yet you also said little has change in the Wolverine. What does that tell you, the truck is the same piece of garbage as the Raptor and is more useful as a footstool then a monster truck.

Most Savage owners know they aren't going to be first on the track. But it's all where we decide to start first. If we want a racer we would of gone with the LST2 or Revo, if we wanted a basher we went with the Savage or MGT. Both can be made into each other, a Savage can be made into a great racer, while a Revo can be made into a great basher.

And ya, it seems like a great price for a Wolverine, but as most people have found out in this hobby is you usually get what you pay for. And I don't think that the Wolverine is one of those gems.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Deftones123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every truck has its faults, even the savage.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 PM
newpat

Hi Wolverine guys
for those of you who own a Wolverine, could you give me the fuel tank dimensions and spacing between the mounting holes?... it looks SO close to the Savage one, i'm just trying to see how much mod would be needed to fit the 270cc fuel tank on the Savage... I'd LOVE running 15 minutes on a tank!!!!

Thanks a lot...
Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 AM
shanty140

Hey Pat,

I would go with the OFNA 250cc and do the Mid Tank Mod. Here is a Link:
http://www.rcbasher.com/savmidtanka.html

Also I wonder why you are getting longer run times. Mine are close to 15 minutes. If yours are alot lower I would check the idle to make sure its not to high, and make sure you are not running super rich. Both can cause a major slump in run times.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM
newpat

yeah, i was running rich last time... but i just figured more running time wouldn't hurt
as for the Ofna, i've heard about it, i'll take a closer a look...

thanks!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 PM
datapurge

Well,

I'm not going to argue with anyone, however I own a wolverine, and I have only two complaints, plastic spur gear, and a very wide steering radius. Although for less than 20 bucks i can buy the steel one. I beat the hell out of the thing and the only part I have broken is the lower arm, and that was because I dummied it up and hit a fence post going WAY too fast. The engine is strong and runs great.

Parts are hard to find, except the local rc store is an rd logics dealer so it doesn't bother me, along with the fact that I can order from rdlogics website. There isn't much at all for aftermarket, but for 300 bucks it has been good to me so far, and has been very tough for the amount of tumbling I put it through.

I really like the truck, I don't feel like it was money wasted, however next time I will want something with more aftermarket parts availability.

Great starter-intermediate truck, although people with more experience will likely want more range of hop-up parts.

I personally love it, and that's my personal opinion.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM
jsflagstad

I have a Wolverine, and I think it is a good truck for the money. I paid $244 +7.95 shipping for mine new in the box. Yeah, that deal was too good not to try it. It is a real decent truck. I also have a Savage with an aftermarket engine, I do like the Savage better but the Wolverine is not far behind. I'd say if your LHS is a RD Logics dealer then you are set. The Wolverine engine seems to run real nice as well and really wraps up in the upper rpms.

Nice truck for the money, I can't say anything bad about it...

JSF
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM
reonu5142

I just got a Mad beast, which is actually an improved version of the wolverine,

I have played with it for the pass 2 days and I must say I am impressed with it and also are my friends who seen it.
My friends who own savages said that it is a nice truck for the price I paid ($350) with reverse module, and agreed it was good truck.
It's my 1st RC car and I love it!

Nice speed, looks, good balance in weight =)

Only and huge downside is that parts are hard to find.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you could've had a real Savage for another $30...

But for some reason, the Mad Beast body hits a soft spot in my heart

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
reonu5142

just some pictures of my truck when it's new!!!!

Lost a few clips to secure the shell while driving hard and jumping high, will post pictures of it in action soon!

Leon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75376.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1102418  
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM
raptorswaroop

i have mad beast.its a super fast truck,and its good.i love it.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 PM
raptor1

I bought a used Nanda Raptor put a Axial .28 engine in it, the hobby guy said it wouldn't shift into second gear, said all I needed is a second gear clutch. I am now finding that parts are hard to find for this truck. I am new to the hobby so any help you could give me would be great.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>
Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: raptor1

I bought a used Nanda Raptor put a Axial .28 engine in it, the hobby guy said it wouldn't shift into second gear, said all I needed is a second gear clutch. I am now finding that parts are hard to find for this truck. I am new to the hobby so any help you could give me would be great.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>
Try searching with google or ebay