Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA hinge idea

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA hinge idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Mike in DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA hinge idea

ORIGINAL: Wabbit

Hey guys, I've built and crashed my share of airplanes and I still have no idea of what you all are talking about with the "toothpick" idea? Are you poking the toothpick through the monokote and the hinge, or drilling a hole in the hinge or what? I've just never heard of that before! Thanks
The intent is to make it impossible for the hinges to pull out of the balsa. The idea (which I've never tried) is that first you cover the plane, then you install the hinges the normal way. Then, you drill holes, and insert toothpicks perpendicular to the hinge. Each hinge gets two toothpicks, one in the center of each hinge half. You then trim the toothpicks to the surface, and patch. If you're good, you can do the whole thing from below without marring the top surface of Monokote.

I assume you only take up this practice after one of your planes goes down because a hinge pulled out. I've never had a hinge pull out, so I've never done it.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Covetski

it never hurts to be safe, I tried using the ca hinges without the toothpicks, for some reason one ripped and another yanked out with some of the wood still on it, and ofcourse, I lost control of ailerons, made a crash landing using the rudder, damaged prop, nearly lost the aileron flap, damaged wing, bent nose gear, and A LOT of weeds in the nose.

wasn't too bad though, I'm not sure if it was the toothpicks that helped, or more glue, but I haven't had that problem since.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Wabbit

Thats a preety good idea, I'll have to try that on my next plane. Thanks