Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can a decent 1/8 buggy be had for less than $500?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can a decent 1/8 buggy be had for less than $500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 06:57 PM
hoodiegadoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a decent 1/8 buggy be had for less than $500?

Originally posted by grampi
rc39

I think you missed what I said. I would like to by a non RTR kit, an engine and a radio for less than $500. The kits you listed are $500 before buying the engine and radio. I don't want to have to spend $600-$1000 just to get a decent buggy.
I think the only way you are going to get what you are looking for is if you get one that is around 500$ rtr and then sell the radio gear, servo's and the engine. They either make kits that are very expensive or rtr's that are cheap and not that great. So why not get a little more expensive rtr then sell the stuff and buy what you want. Then you will end up with a more then decent buggy.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:32 PM
maneki

I think the real answer to this original question is "NO". There really isn't any way to get a decent 1/8 buggy for less than $500.00. I've been looking at 1/8 buggys for about a month now, and most of the decent kits are around $500, then you still have to get the radio and engine, etc.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:32 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

The probelm with selling stuff froma rtr is that it will never be worth whats it is if it were to have came from a distributor or a manufacturer. This is due to the fact that its coming from a person not a whole company.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:41 PM
humboldtblazer

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
GS Storm? eh... i guess... if you dont know much about buggies sure... Shoulda went with the Ofna imo, more reliable brand.
The GS Storm RTR is a very reliable buggy. General Silicones has been in business since the early 70's and Ofna came along in mid late 80's. I bought one and the thing has a POWERFUL engine and a great radio system. It is setup identical to the world leader the Kyosho Inferno 7.5. I have since upgraded my Storm to a pro and this thing handels like a dream. Make you own choice but the GS Storm is on the podium in many IFMAR and NORRCA events and is a Worlds contender as stated by 1/8 pro buggie pilots. I'm not saying OFNA isnt relaible but more of the weekend basher as opposed to a serious racer. Granted the RTR Storm is not a racer but with upgrade parts it seriously can be.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:42 PM
humboldtblazer

Please, no RTR suggestions. I'm looking for a kit without an engine and radio, and an engine and radio I can choose myself, all for less than $500. I don't think this can be done.
Storm PRO $379
Old 02-26-2003, 07:59 PM
grampi

Originally posted by humboldtblazer

Storm PRO $379
Add in the engine and radio and this setup would be way over $500.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:07 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Its true, i good buggy cannot be created for 500 or less. buggies are for the rich people lol. even if i was rich i wouldnt pay that much for a buggy. but thats just my opinion
Old 02-26-2003, 08:12 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I agree. the GS is under rated.. I took a close look at one at my LHS the other day.. lots of bang for buck!!

BUT.. heres a cool link to a sort of "sales ad" for the DTM with the .247 some people said it rocks

check it out

http://xtm.globalhobby.com/buggies.asp
http://xtm.globalhobby.com/buggies.asp
Old 02-26-2003, 08:43 PM
humboldtblazer

They could be good. I havent seen one or heard of anyone racing them so if you want take the chance. If your gonna do that why not get a Hong Nor Speed 9.5
Old 02-26-2003, 08:47 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Well I dont think anyone here is going to race their buggies much.. I think its more for the fun of it and if anything, race socially

I bought a Mugen, and so far I must say it looks good!
I paid 385 for the kit and if you buy a cheap $50 radio and an OS for about 150, you'll have a nice buggy for about 650 (50 for other stuff).
And this is totally from scratch!

ram
Old 02-26-2003, 08:53 PM
humboldtblazer

quite the contrary I have race asperations and I even built a track and I am in the process of getting it offically to be a ROAR and NORRCA track. I am no where near pro or anything but I would love to race in the Sportsman class and gain experience. The main reason for me getting into RC was for race competition as I found it getting way to expensive to race my SAAB in the CMI(california modified imports) racing.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:17 AM
PAINT CHIP

OK I HAVE THE SOLUTION:buy the rtr(I know that is not what you want to here)but break in the truck with the crappy engine and the joy you will feel thrashing it,high speed runs,seeing how far you can make it across the pond(Imade it 30 feet)will far out weigh any cost you will incure once you decide that it race day and bolt on the new power plant and go rip the track. TEMPORARY INSANITY IS A VIRTUE :stupid:
Old 02-27-2003, 12:33 AM
truggy-maxx
My Feedback: (1)

Default EEHHgg buzzer sounds in background

Originally posted by humboldtblazer

The GS Storm RTR is a very reliable buggy. General Silicones has been in business since the early 70's and Ofna came along in mid late 80's. I bought one and the thing has a POWERFUL engine and a great radio system. It is setup identical to the world leader the Kyosho Inferno 7.5. I have since upgraded my Storm to a pro and this thing handels like a dream. Make you own choice but the GS Storm is on the podium in many IFMAR and NORRCA events and is a Worlds contender as stated by 1/8 pro buggie pilots. I'm not saying OFNA isnt relaible but more of the weekend basher as opposed to a serious racer. Granted the RTR Storm is not a racer but with upgrade parts it seriously can be.
I would just like to flex ny brain muscle and show that ive been doing this for far too long.. The GS is based almost carbon paper copy off of a MP 6..... last generation. Inferno thanks no ignorance ment.. just flexin my brain......

PS Have u ruled the HYPER 7 great buggy... thr PBS comes with a 8 port and a bumpstart.. just a thought if your goin the rtr sell off route.. might be worth a look...

As far as a nice kit under 500 with a motor and radio... my only suggestion is too look at a race level buggy used.. sorry..

not to impose just posting my two sents
Old 02-27-2003, 01:16 AM
ibdrummr

Default the truth

however sad the truth is, i think the closest you can get to a decent buggy under 500, non rtr, is going to be something like the Ofna MBX 80% assembled. ($225 tower hobbies)

its not the same quality as hyper 7 or 9.5 by ofna, and not really any where near the kyoshos of storms, but its not the bottom of the stack either (LX, axis, lightning).

I am going to buy (its official) an mbx rtr from tower hobbies b/c the price is down to $335...yay.....i cant wait to see how it actually performs and compare it to some other buggies b/c ofnas have been getting talked down so much, along with rtr engines as well....i want to see how the Force .25 performs! too bad it only comes with a blazer sport radio and weak servos...what junk....
Old 02-27-2003, 01:51 AM
cool head

rc39

I think you missed what I said. I would like to by a non RTR kit, an engine and a radio for less than $500. The kits you listed are $500 before buying the engine and radio. I don't want to have to spend $600-$1000 just to get a decent buggy.
sorry i'll sit in the corner with a dunce cap on!

you have to look at the reality. 1/8 buggy is the greatest high your gonna get from a nitro r/c car. F1 of the r/c world. its not just for rich people either! it's an investment. i invested in a bogus buggy [ofna]. it's just a basher, but an embarrasment at the track. i've had the honer of driving some pretty nice rigs, and the handling of the kyosho was by far the stand out, even to the GS storm. i'm gonna save for a year to get the mp7.5 and retire the ofna.no amount of money can get the ofna to drive like the mp7.5, its worth the extra money to me. why do you think everyone compares there rig to the infernos? if you dont go with the top dog. your gonna wish you did one day!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
hoodiegadoo

Originally posted by nitroman88
The probelm with selling stuff froma rtr is that it will never be worth whats it is if it were to have came from a distributor or a manufacturer. This is due to the fact that its coming from a person not a whole company.
This is true but I see it being the only way to get what he wants...
Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Brennan_H

Just to let yall know gs makes the gs in the pro,and they also sell the gs rtr rolling chasis.I couldnt find the price but the ad said about 160 less than most buggys.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:24 PM
humboldtblazer

everyone compares their rig to Infernos because they are top notch. I would say there the best but I have not driven one so it is hard to say. I just know if you want a buggy that can compete at a pro level than go with the Inferno, Mugen, Crono, Storm Thunder Tiger. They seem to be over and over again the winners at pro races. Of course the Storm is probably more of a copy of the MP 6 rather than the 7.5 because the 7.5 wasnt released yet when the Storm came out 2 years ago. But their new chasis and with Fioroni diffs it does the same changes to the Storm that was done to the mp6 to get it to7.5 which is lower the center of gravity. It is such a clone that I buy Inferno 7.5 bodies and put them on my Storm Pro. Now granted GS is riding the skirt tails but doing a damn good job.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:29 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Default mugen mbx xr works NEW LOWER PRICE 550.00

here ya go i got this for sale it is a sweet deal!!!! go to nitro for sale

dennis
Old 03-31-2003, 09:43 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

to late, he bought a MT Tmaxx 2.5
Old 03-31-2003, 09:49 PM
humboldtblazer

This thread just got hijacked
Old 03-31-2003, 10:16 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

LOL
Old 03-31-2003, 10:18 PM
grampi

$550 is too rich for my blood anyway.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:50 PM
truggy-maxx
My Feedback: (1)

Default Grampi

Im not trying to start a flame or anything but what hes offering for 550 is a 2, 000 dollar investment.... addd the stuff he has up i bet you get close if not over.... the fioroni chassis is. over 100 alone.. 10 sets of tires......its well woth 550
Old 03-31-2003, 11:08 PM
humboldtblazer

Default Re: Can a decent 1/8 buggy be had for less than $500?

I'm beginning to think it can't.
I was just saying this was the question. Not does anybody have a buggy I can buy thats good for $500................................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.