Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

traxxas slash 2wd or duratrax evader dt

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas slash 2wd or duratrax evader dt

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:44 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: traxxas slash 2wd or duratrax evader dt

Another thread overrun by traxxas fanboys.

Duratrax evader- not a bad truck, though bit on the entry level side. They are plenty durable.

traxxas slash- as you can see, there's a huge amount of hype for traxxas products. While it isn't a terrible car, the handling isn't great and I would rather have a sc10. The slash is based on a truck that's 17 years old, the sc10 is based on the 8 year old rc10 t4 chassis.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I have no problems with the Slash. Actually, I love my Slash 4x4. But if I were having this debate, I'd stay away from Duratrax. I have had 2 Evaders and they were nothing but problems.

</p>
he's talking about the 2wd slash which a good chunk of its parts were designed before some of the posters on this forum were born, and have only had some slight modifications [:@] The 2wd one is pretty much an elongated rustler when you break it down.

4x4 slash was a completely new RC design, and IMO is way easier to fix than the 2wd traxxas's
Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Chucksolo69

Strange because I have never had a problem with Traxxas quality. I think people are just biased against Traxxas because of their success. Have you noticed that HPI is now putting the "MPH" statements on their vehicles? well, this is the only area that I fault Traxxas or any other RC company that does this. Yes, speed is part of the fun of running an RC car, but, to state that the car goes 70 MPH is kind of inviting disaster, especially for the noob just entering the hobby. You know he/sh is going to go to a parking lot, try to reach top speed and probably end up wrecking the car, upon which they will probably not fix it and it will rest on a shelf forever.  To me, RC is about "driving" your car on a surface suited for that particular car, and doing it quickly, but not necessarily at full throttle! As my old MX coach used to say, Fast doesn't necessarily mean quick. I think any RC brand is capable of being "quick" and durable at the same time. Traxxas and Duratrax have both been around a long time. I remember bashing my T-Maxx around in 2001 against my buddie's Duratrax Thunder Quake. Both were tough trucks, but my buddy was always amazed when my T-Maxx shifted into second gear. We jumped, rolled, and bashed those trucks like there was no tomorrow. I can't remember ever breaking anything but a steering servo on mine and a couple of shocks on his. I have to say, that since I got back into this hobby after a 7 year layoff, I am amazed at the progress RC has made. I have yet to run into a "junk" RC vehicle, with the exception of a brand, whose name escapes me, that was like a sub $200.00 1/10 nitro car. Heck, I bought my 4 year old grand nephew an Electrix Circuit truck that he can't seem to drive past a pole or a tree without hitting it, and so far no damage to this $120.00 budget truck. I don't think you can go wrong with ANY manufacturer of RC these days. Especially the name brands.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Duratrax evader- not a bad truck, though bit on the entry level side. They are plenty durable.

traxxas slash- as you can see, there's a huge amount of hype for traxxas products. While it isn't a terrible car, the handling isn't great and I would rather have a sc10. The slash is based on a truck that's 17 years old, the sc10 is based on the 8 year old rc10 t4 chassis.
Strangely, the toughest short course truck is based on the 12 year old XXX platform[&:]
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Strangely, the toughest short course truck is based on the 12 year old XXX platform[&:]
Yep, that was back in the good ole' days with Gil.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY manufacturer of RC these days. Especially the name brands.
Oh yes, he could go wrong. He could buy an Evader.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I have no problems with the Slash. Actually, I love my Slash 4x4. But if I were having this debate, I'dstay away from Duratrax. I have had 2 Evaders and they were nothing but problems.

</p>
he's talking about the 2wd slash which a good chunk of its parts were designed before some of the posters on this forum were born, and have only had some slight modifications [:@] The 2wd one is pretty much an elongated rustler when you break it down.

4x4 slash was a completely new RC design, and IMO is way easier to fix than the 2wd traxxas's
Gotcha. Now that I think about it, my friends 2wd Slash is ALWAYS breaking due to reasons other than wear/tear/bashing. Actually he just dumped $250 intoupgrades only nowit keeps eating up transmission gears.The longest I've seen it run, since he spent all that money on it, was 30 seconds before he stripped another gear.

Looks sweetsitting on his shelf, though.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 AM
FahrtAutoRC

First, I would like to say, as a "Traxxas fanboy" , I would have to say stay away from the 2wd Slash. If you are going to go that route, get the 4X4 Slash. Also, do not limit yourself to merely two sub-par RC's. There is so much on the market that it is wise to do diligent research, especially considering the coin a new RC costs. Coming onto a forum is not the best way. Everyone has an opinion, and all of them are bias. Well, 99% will be. When we jumped into the hobby almost a year ago, we got a Slash 4X4 for me and an HPI Blitz for her, and love them both, wouldnt trade em for nothing, BUT to get them to that point meant at the very least replacing every bit of stock electronics in both. That being said, we do each finish top three every time out at the track, and they both do light bashing very well.

Do your research, watch non-manufacturer videos, check consumer reviews, etc etc. Then make a decision. There is a huge market out there and it is your money so make your choice.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Chucksolo69

Sigma.40, off topic a bit here, but is that your handle because of the handgun you carry/own? One of my other hobbies is firearms. Just thought I would ask. BTW Himmler, I couldn't agree with you more. Too many answers are populated by the bias of those that post them. It's a "Ford vs Chevy" type thing. Take Himmler's adivice and do the research before you spend your money.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Sigma.40, off topic a bit here, but is that your handle because of the handgun you carry/own? One of my other hobbiesis firearms. Just thought I would ask.
Yes. I have my CPL and carry a Smith &amp; Wesson Sigma .40. I couldn't think of a user name for something awhile ago and I saw my pistol sitting in front of me so I just used that. I've just used it for everything ever since .
Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Link119

Unless you are specifically wanting a sct give the ext2 a try because it has everything you need for a basher.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM
RayT90

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

First, I would like to say, as a "Traxxas fanboy" , I would have to say stay away from the 2wd Slash. If you are going to go that route, get the 4X4 Slash.
I agree with Himmler you might want to consider the 4x4 and il tell you why. Thick grass. Thick grass is not your friend with the 2wd model BELIEVEME. (especially if its damp/ wet)

I own a 2wd VXL and while i love it i regret not getting the 4x4. And dont listen to that one guy about the slash being difficult to work on... a 9 year old could take it apart and put it back together.
Also i do agree with the poster that said the 2wd models steering is a little off but if you bought it dont worry it just takes some getting used to. Do some playing around with the shock spring spacers. when i bought mine i was well... quite pissed off how it rolled every turn. if you roll every turn find the proper adjustments for the terrain you will be driving on. it could be as simple as adding or subtracting a shock spacer. and if you go to a hobby store i recommend getting new shock oil, its usually around $2-3 for a bottle and it goes a long way. i wont recommend what weights to get because that might start a forum battle but i use 50wt Losi oil in the front and 45wt Team Associated for the rear. but this is something you should research. some oil brands are thicker than others *cough* Losi

Some advice if you go the Titan 12t 550 route do a water break in. it sounds crazy if you are new to RC but i recommend it for squeezing a little more life and power out of a brushed motor. Some tips for a water break in: get a plastic or polycarbonate clear cup, a bottle of store bought water (i use nestle pure life or ice mountain only the good stuff for me ) and a blank CD/DVD. when you disconnect the motor put the wires through the CD and plug in everything, then dip it into the water pressing firmly on the CD keeping the water from making a mess. do not throttle until submerged.

Lastly watch internet videos on how to do this. get comfortable before attempting, hear why its a good idea then try it if you like. if you dont you will hear and see the motor breaking in. sparks, gravely sounds etc.

Okay&hellip; i think my rambling is over
Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 PM
RayT90

Wait rambling not over. Don't use race mode (70/30) until you have a good grip on 50/50 its a steering thing
Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: RayT90

Wait rambling not over. Don't use race mode (70/30) until you have a good grip on 50/50 its a steering thing
the throttle setting on traxxas AM radios is a steering thing?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM
RayT90

i meant the issue is a steering thing.

EDIT: its a steering issue among other things. it takes a little extra getting used to if you start in the 70/30 rather than the 50/50. i know two people that went 70/30 before they even test drove it and complaied about about the cars handling. or maybe they didnt align it properly. idk just do what you want.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM
sloppyG

the 50/50 or 70/30 on traxxas radios has nothing to do with steering

you either have 50% of the trigger's movement range for forward, 50% for reverse/brake

or on 70/30 70% of the triggers range is for forward, 30% for reverse/brake

when you move the switch on the radio you can see the trigger's center position move (at least on the AM versions you can)

it's got nothing to do with steering, unless you're talking about something else and we're miscommunicating here
Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM
RayT90

Its a miscommunication. im well aware of how the radios work.

to put it simply a newb doesn't need that much speed. combine the speed and lack of driving experience he might find his way running off the road and into things. as we all know if you run into something going fast enough its bad news especially if its day one. plastic steering blocks only take so much impact abuse.

Im jussayin be careful
Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: stoya789

i forgot to mention that duratrax products are "fly by night"! they constantly discontinue their products leaving customers stranded. basically their customer support is a joke. traxxas still sells and supports the products they made from day 1. they still sell stampedes, 4tec's, rustlers, etc. they even sell a "classic" style t-maxx based on the original release. bottom line is you know you won't be left in the dark when you buy a traxxas product.

anything traxxas and 2wd is overpriced for what you get and a pain in the butt to repair/work on

it's basically like paying $200 for a truck that's of similar quality to stuff that's $140 <span class="info"> </span>
and its worth every penny. you buy cheap, you buy twice.
fly by night? look at the parts they STILL have available for the vendetta st which they discontinued......

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dur....c0.m270.l1313
<br type="_moz" />
Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

fly by night? look at the parts they STILL have available for the vendetta st which they discontinued......

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dur....c0.m270.l1313
<br type=''_moz'' />
Not only that, they still have parts for vehicles they had when I got into this hobby(2000) like the nitro quake and maximum mt.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
electricrc68
Banned

man those are some old vehicles! has duratrax moved on from nitro to electric?