Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

united hobbies gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: united hobbies gas engines

Well I am actually going to make a change to my previous post.

I have a brand new Zenoah G20 for sale....... After running my XYZ 26 A-spec Sunday, I dont even wish to mess with the Zenoah, the weight or the power hungry ignition that came with it.

My 10 lb high wing project that I am working on got pulled around, hovered and all out flown very nicely Sunday on the XYZ 26. I now have for sale 1 brand new Zenoah G26 and 1 brand new Zenoah G20 and with the income from the sales I will be purchasing 1 new XYZ 26 and 1 new XYZ 50 A-spec engines along with some voltage regulators and a few other goodies.

The 26 came in at 40 ounces engine, muffler and ignition. Incredibly easy to start, very smooth and nice idle, smooth transition to high end and pulled my 16-8 3-blade prop at 7220 rpm when I checked it during the 1st tank of fuel. I forgot to check it later, but will do so this week when I do some static pull tests with the 26 and the 50.

I for one and a happy customer.

Bill

BTW - anyone interested in the 2 zenoah's let me know.... they are both really for sale!!
Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
zbo2

i'm in the market for a 26cc. sounds pretty good so far. i'm looking to put it in a 90 size super sportster. was thinking about the g26 or a brillelli 26......now i'm not sure. i might have to give the XYZ-26 a shot.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

really depends on your application and the type of flying you want to do. Both the Brillelli and the G-26 will turn an 18x6 over 8400 new big difference in power there. However if you don't need the power then it's a no brainer.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
vanman

If you decide you need or want the Zenoah, let me know... I can save you a few buck on the new one that I have....

I guess one thing that I keep hearing is that this or that will turn more RPM.... but if you need that extra RPM to pull the extra POUND of weight around it still sucks.... and the extra wing loading makes the rest of the plane performance suck too......

Just my opinion, but I do have a G20 and G26 for sale

Bill
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing stays the same forever, does it Bill? <G>

For nearly two decades, the Zenoah line of engines was at the top of the heap in terms of reliability/tractibility and acceptable power. I would say that that was a pretty good gig.

I wouldn't throw away the Zenoah engines just yet, though. They have a proven track record for endurance. The new Chinese engines have not been around long enough (in the modeling application) to have proven their endurance.

I've limited myself to buying the cheapest engines that receive good reports, but I'm keeping my Zenoah engines for things that absolutely must perform flawlessly. The jury is still out on the Chinese engines, as far as I'm concerned. I have old Zenoah engines for which I can still obtain parts. Some Chinese products are born, ran for a couple of production runs and then disappear forever, along with the "company" that made them. There is something to be said good about Zenoah.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
vanman

Point Very Well Taken Ed!

Bill
Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
zbo2

well i haven't made the transition into 3d yet...and at my age i'm not sure that my brain will comunicate to my hands well enough to have my planes survive....lol....however i am working with the sim......who knows. i'm just looking to transition into gas and this might be the way to break a nut so to speak. i'm wanting to get a wildhare 28% edge or simular by the end of the summer and when that happens i'm sure it will get a da50 so i'm only looking a least expensive to get into gas......not for everything. i'm a true believer in you get what you pay for.
vanman if i decide something differant i'll send you a PM.
Joe
Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 AM
zbo2

vanman.......
can you give me the dimensions.......back of prop to rear of mount, and width of engine carb to muffler etc...thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
vanman

Sure, here they are for both the XYZ 26 and the 50cc A-Spec engines. Please keep in mind that both of these engines are already installed so I might be off a 1/16 or so, but they are as close as I can get.. hope this helps

The XYZ-26 A-Spec dimensions are as follows:

Firewall to back of prop 4-5/8"
Firewall to front of crankcase where prop hub meets 2-3/4"
Length of prop hub 1-7/8"
Dia of prop hub at the prop 1.345"
Cen to Cen top mounting plate holes ~2-3/4"
Cen to Cen bottom mounting plate holes ~2-3/4"
Widest point on engine - carb mount bolt to outside of exhaust 6"
Tallest point on engine - top of crankcase to top of spark plug cap 6-3/8"
Top of crankcase to top of cylinder - 5"
Weight of engine, muffler and ignition - 40.3 ounces

This engine will bolt to the firewall and in between the cheeks of the 8' Telemaster and you have to cut the cheeks with a round cutaway on the carb side and a rectangle cutaway for the exhast side..... other than that the cheeks get to stay on the plane and makes it look so much better.

The XYZ-50 A-Spec dimensions are as follows:

Firewall to back of prop 5-3/4"
Firewall to front of crankcase where prop hub meets 4"
Length of prop hub 1-3/4"
Dia of prop hub at the prop 1.54"
Cen to Cen top mounting plate holes ~3-5/32"
Cen to Cen bottom mounting plate holes ~2-15/16"
Widest point on engine - carb mount bolt to outside of exhaust 6-3/4"
Tallest point on engine - top of crankcase to top of spark plug cap 6-3/4"
Top of crankcase to top of cylinder - 5-3/4"
Weight of engine, muffler and ignition - sorry guys forgot to weigh it before I bolted it on.....

This engine fits completely inside the cowl of my 1/4 scale extra 330, I will end up opening a hole for the carb or trying to find button head mounting bolts as the bottom bolt is very close to the cowl and with vibration will probably end up rubbing anyhow......

Its supposed to be nice again tomorrow or Friday so I will try to get some static thrust measurements on them and post that information....

Bill
Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
barney11

Do any of you folks have any idea how the xyz stacks up to the spe or crrc 26's. They are both about the same price, weight etc. I am looking at a 25% yak 54 (70") which will probably come out at around 9lbs if i'm careful.
I'm no 3d pilot, but never say never.
I just would like to know what the opinions are of those of you who have used them.
BTW I recently bought a selection of li-po's from UH and the quality seems to be excellent, for about 1/2 of the normal UK price.

Thanks in advance.

Iain.