Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

What engine for the Edge

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:17 PM
rdurant
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What engine for the Edge

What do you think a ZDZ60 would do for the 28%edge. Too much ?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 12:35 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

There is some one here that has the ZDZ60 installed....cant think of who right off hand.....
Old 01-30-2005, 02:00 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ZDZ-60 is not too much power, it's a little large physically so the installation may not be as clean.

TF
Old 01-30-2005, 07:18 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

tom,
not trying to insult you, your company, or your design, Its just the fact that I haven't seen one of these fly, in person. I have I am just concerned about a 50CC pulling a 17- to 17 1/2lb plane out of a hover. the only video I have seen of it flying is Joe Hunt with a 3W-50 on a can. But i am not going to run a can. I am on dial up, an everytime I try to down load a video of the plane, something always goes wrong in my 3-4hr dowload about half way thru. Don't want to purchase a MVVS gasser. I wan't either brison, DA, or 3W.

I really like the scheme the red, yellow, black extra. But my friend at my field bought one, but won't have it flying untill spring. I didn't get much of a chance to look at it, but what I did see when it was still in the box was very impressive. another guy I fly with has he has the red, white, and blue extra on order. So I don't want to have a twin of either. that why I am looking at the edge.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Icebird

I have the Edge with a DA 50 in it, and I'm quite happy with the performance of it. We are at 3500 feet here, so I don't get the performance that people at lower elevations do, but I can still easily pull out of a hover with my plane. It weighs in at 17 pounds on the nose as close as I can weigh it, and performance is quite good. I would recommend it highly, since the engine runs great, has more than enough power, and is easy to get set up. If you want to go adding a lot of extra weight like dual heavy batteries, smoke and so on, you'll need more engine, but otherwise, the DA is just fine.

HTH
Jim
Old 01-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Gramling,

The DA would probably be your best choice overall. All of the full 50cc engines will pull a 17 pound plane out of a hover quite well, with enough authority that the maneuver will never be in doubt. The Da is known to swing a little larger prop than my engine, and it its notably lighter.

The final weight of any plane makes a difference in it's performance. I can tell you that the Edge and Extra all have increased wing areas to lower the wing loading substantially, making for a very nice flying plane, be it for IMAC or 3D. There's really no need, at least from my personal point of view, to install a lot of redundant systems on the plane, thereby increasing it's weight, if you use quality products.

Agreed I'm biased, but I'm certain that you will like and appreciate the qualities of the 28% Wild Hares.

I have the same problem you do with the dial up situation, so I can absolutely understand the frustration that comes with it.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I am really not worried 2 much about wing loading. As my 30% carden cap weighs a little over 20lbs, w/ 1440 square inches of wing. So if the WH has 1395 sq. inches at 17lbs it will be a dream to land verses my cap. I am just worried about vertical perfomance. I want to be able to be able to pull out of a hover easy and roll going on uplines.

As for redundant batteries. I thougt about using just 1 fromeco 2800mh lithium ion on RX, but didn't know if it would have the enough amps to handle 4 hitec 5945's- 1 JR 8611, and throttle and choke servo.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

As far as batteries go I spoke with Kurt at Fromeco and he suggested a singe 4800 pack for the RX and a 2400 for the ignition along with the regulated reliaswitches and Im running all 8611's except for throttle and choke..I also am going to run a DA-50 as soon as they come in..I downsized from the 24oz tank to an 18 oz along with a 14 oz for smoke...
Old 01-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to use Duralite 4,400 Li-ons, but have switched over to Fromeco in the same size for a flight battery. I use all JR 8611's on the flight surfaces, and the 4,400 mAh Li-on battery by anyone has enough juice to run all day long and then some. So if you have a concern about having enough electrical oomph, that way will work.

You can use smaller milliamp ratings, and spend less in the bargain, but you may have to charge more often. That't not that big a deal, though. That's one of the down sides of a Li-on, they take around 3 hours or better to charge if done correctly.

As far as the pull out of a hover and roll on the upline, I guess it depends on how fast you need it to go. I do both of those things now, but it doesn't happen like it's got a Saturn rocket under it. I have no problems at 17-1/4 to 17-1/2 pounds with a Brison 3.2. The DA has been stated to be better. The MVVS 58 would have even more power, or a 3w-60 and/or ZDZ 60 would provide a lot of punch as well. As you already know, 3D is not possible without an abundance of power, adding some large control surfaces and throws to keep it all working.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:51 PM
rdurant
My Feedback: (32)

Has anyone had any experiences with the ZDZ60 in their 28% EDGE 540? Any set up secrets and/or issues? How good will this engine perform?

Thanks for replies.