Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

For those of you without fullsize boats, how do you recover your RC boat?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

For those of you without fullsize boats, how do you recover your RC boat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:51 AM
dicko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For those of you without fullsize boats, how do you recover your RC boat?

I've never had it come apart, if it does it's a poor design. Mine is strapped on with shock cord.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:58 AM
lewisdf4

Default RE: For those of you without fullsize boats, how do you recover your RC boat?

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

How about a picture of this contraption.
Yeah Dreamin I'll get some photo's this weekend when we go out, its at Kyle's place.

Mart, As far as being inflateable, we don't lift the boats in cos its too small, just use a small peice of rope with a spanner on it to tow the boat back to shore Works really well and cost us $0!!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Just thinking out loud here, but adding to the inflatable boat idea, which Ihave one, just never used yet. Instead of dragging a stalled, or even sunken hull behind you, or risk tearing your inflatable what do you think about placing the recovered boat on top of a sled-type thing like a large "boogie board". That way the hull is out of the water when you paddle in and eliminates further chances for water to enter your hull while you're paddling to shore and possibly damaging sensitive equipment?Again, just another idea.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 AM
BarnacleNZ

ORIGINAL: PEERPSI

Swim for it. Or wait for it to float ashore.
Same here. if its windy, ill pick a location that it will blow to shore. Otherwise im happy swimming for it
Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 AM
TheRook76

I use a Tug Boat I've modified to tug in my large cat. If my cat fliped I drag a tennis ball with tip covered hooks. If it just ran out of gas I have the hooks hanging.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48336.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1235298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71659.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1235299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98701.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1235300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52737.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1235301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43614.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1235302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83163.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1235303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95671.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1235304  
Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 AM
lewisdf4

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

Just thinking out loud here, but adding to the inflatable boat idea, which I have one, just never used yet. Instead of dragging a stalled, or even sunken hull behind you, or risk tearing your inflatable what do you think about placing the recovered boat on top of a sled-type thing like a large ''boogie board''. That way the hull is out of the water when you paddle in and eliminates further chances for water to enter your hull while you're paddling to shore and possibly damaging sensitive equipment? Again, just another idea [img][/img].
Works for me, might drag the ol boogie board out and tie it to the outboard. I think it would work well
Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's plans for a rescue barge with an optional net.At the bottom of the page. http://oldriverbillzumwalt.members.k...ts_&_plans.htm
Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM
PEERPSI

ORIGINAL: BarnacleNZ

ORIGINAL: PEERPSI

Swim for it. Or wait for it to float ashore.
Same here. if its windy, ill pick a location that it will blow to shore. Otherwise im happy swimming for it
Uh oh, you've left yourself fully exposed for a case of Martinizing!

Next thing he'll be telling you that you paid too much!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
damfurst

I've had to wade for mine when it's been caught in cattails along with rescue boat. I also found a chuck of foam that I fit on a NQD cat with rubber bands to push them in with. Works great with jet boats especially because there isn't much else to catch on them. I've also had my micro hydro quit out in the middle of the pond and been able to push it in without running over it because it sits so low in the water.

Name:	Ca80978.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	1235379   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43547.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	1235380  
Old 07-13-2009, 02:37 PM
traxxas_trucks

here is an idea [sm=idea.gif] dont flip it [sm=biggrin.gif] But really we just take a inflatable raft then bring a villain ex out then flip the fliped boat back over and push it with the villain ex back to shore
Old 07-14-2009, 04:55 PM
MKMotorsport

kayak. quick easy and very durable. I use a Perception Prodigy 10. Very stable (maybe moreso than a canoe even), Easy and quick to manuever, weighs only 40lbs so can be handled by one person easily loading, unloading ect.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:59 AM
lewisdf4

As promised.
Cheers, Chris

Name:	Yw67309.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1238691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86157.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1238692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40908.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1238693  
Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Each story below is of a fellow RC Boater who is no longer with us - really worth considering - safety first (and always)

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...9024604557B231

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356903,00.html (He was a member of this forum)

http://media.www.chicagoflame.com/me...t-465375.shtml

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/sep/06/local/me-16171

rule #1 - never go boating alone

rule #2 - Never swim for a boat
(not necessarly in that order)

Even with a dinghy I would strongly recommend a life vest - guy in florida died a few short years ago when his dingly was hit by another rc boat, sank and he drowned before making shore (news story above). He had a family - he died for a model boat. His body was pulled from the water by police divers a few hours later.

I met a guy at a local pond who almost drowned this year when the dinghy he was in flipped - he can certainly swim and was 30 or so yards out. He said if not for someone diving in to help him to shore he would have gone under (cold water, bulky clothes etc). Not sure about any of you but I dont have any boats worth dieing for.
Sadly we loose at least 1 fellow boater a year to this hobby - it is rediculous when you think about it - these are toys - people are dieing.

If your going to boat often then make the investment in something reliable and safe - 100% of the time. A dinghy and vest is in my opinion the optimal solution - true it puts you on the water and perhaps in harms way - but you can recover the boat no matter where it goes or what happens (as long as it is floating). You can recover the boat from in the reeds, upturned, pieces, etc etc. You never have to consider swimming for it.
If you dont boat often then make sure you boat with friends who have made the investment in a dinghy. If they dont turn up at the lake - you dont run (I have done this before)

A fishing rod and reel is fine if the boat is within casting distance and you dont have obstructions in the way. An electric recovery boat will also work on occasion but I dont believe these will work on the majority of ponds I have seen. But you have to ask yourself if it will work in the worst case scenario (I know my boats will always stop on the far side of any lake). You have to plan ahead - if you are prepared for the worst case then chances are you wont need it (I know the last couple of trips to the lake I left my inflatable on the roof of the car).

I have run boats in ocean lagoons where swimming wading out to get the boat was easy and safe. But in most ponds you really need a dinghy to recover your rc boat 100% of the time.

If you look on craigs list you will often see dinghys and motors for sale - there are some bargains out there. Personally it seemed foolish not to spend a few hundred $$ on a boat that I too can get some use out of when not running RC. A quality inflatable is also pretty resistant to cuts from boat hardware (not that I keep mine sharp), has multi chambers (mine has 5), is very hard to flip, is insulated from the cold water temps, wont scratch your boat, and takes less than 10 minutes to inflate. My brand new 10ft inflatable and 5hp lightly used merc were just on $1000 - that is less than most RTR boats and will probably resale for about the same price. Look at walmart for life vests - cheap (I keep an inflatable vest in my toolbox so no matter what I have one at the pond). A Kayak and vest is also a great option - I am just not so good at kayaking and would end up in the water I am sure.

I also use a small Walmart dinghy on occasion - not optimal but it works in a pinch - but not so safe - you may end up in the water.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Justaddwata

Also some food for thought for those who run boats while someone else is out in a recovery boat - you could kill them

Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 PM
PEERPSI

Sounds like sound advice.

Those last two pictures reinforce one of my favourite sayings:

"Physics the silent killer!"
Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM
bullboy8

Here is my new form of boat recovery. Thanks to dicko's design, I kinda got an idea were to start. I use a Traxxas Blast for the tow power and works like a champ since it has the directional outdrive shaft for accurate placement. It has about 100-150 yard range. About $15.00 for supplies and a couple hours fabricating, and presto! Thanks again dicko for the idea! Also the link is a video of it in action.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...=DSCN0411a.flv

Old 07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
hemicar

i always were swim trunks and have found myslef takin a few dips lately
Old 07-19-2009, 09:51 PM
dicko

Looks good Bullboy. They may be slow, but they get there in the end. Saves swimming too.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Lil Dave

That lil boat pushed me in 3 times and pj twice.... and cruised at wot for 15 min after..and wasn't done, with good range! A little recovery boat RULES! I'm sold on the small electric recovery rig! I grew up by the 'sound' in washington and would Never swim for a boat. I've had many friends die from the undertow for alot less than a "toy boat" I guess u need to know the enemy... and the wattah will get you! be smarter than the wattah!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:48 PM
jacob711

i usually use a fishing rod with tennis ball but i got angry with it and broke it so now i just sit down and wait for the wind to blow it back, sucks when there is no wind though

i have swam for boats many times, it sounds stupid to me why people say don't do it though, you would have to be a very bad swimmer to drown, im not the best swimmer and its easy for me to swim out and get a boat, if the boat is very far out i suppose it could get difficult, just think about all the people that swim for miles and miles though, i don't see them drowning
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 AM
BMAD01

I use an "EP Racing Boat" from Ebay, with a SS mig wire outrigger bolted to the deck. The radio has an aluminum mount I fabricated bolted to the back to mount a bait casting reel. On the reel I use 20lb test Spiderwire fishing line with a 12" steel leader to clip onto the outrigger on the electric boat. The steel leader prevents the line from getting cut by sharp edges like the prop and rudder of the stalled boat. When the time comes, you simply drive the retrieval boat past the stalled boat and make a HALF circle. Then you reel both boats back to shore. Been doing this for 5 years now and never even got a toe wet! Brian

Name:	Tr50414.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1240461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88004.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1240462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41839.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1240463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56557.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1240464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32540.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1240465  
Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: jacob711
it sounds stupid to me why people say don't do it though, you would have to be a very bad swimmer to drown, im not the best swimmer and its easy for me to swim out and get a boat, if the boat is very far out i suppose it could get difficult, just think about all the people that swim for miles and miles though, i don't see them drowning
Sounds a little ignorant to me to hear someone say that just because there are people who can swim for miles and miles that you should consider swimming for a model boat. I mean the news stories above are REAL DEATHS of REAL MEN. There are many more stories out there - at least one a year (that is a REAL number).

People may overlook the fact that you dont just swim to the boat - you have to swim back. The wind can pick up and push the boat further than initially thought. Your eye is on getting to the boat - and not how far have I gone. People are often not prepared to swim (wearing shoes and clothes). Water temps in Perth are probably more favorable than here in spring time (water is often about 3 or 4 degrees C - You would not make it 30 meters in those temps).

But hey - you want to swim - have at it. It is just NOT what I am recommending to anyone.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
jacob711

im not ignorant, i understand there is a risk, like i said if it is a long distance yeah it could be dangerous, but if its just in a smallish pond like alot of people use then its fine, i for one wouldn't just sit there and watch my boat disappear
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 AM
PEERPSI

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: jacob711
it sounds stupid to me why people say don't do it though, you would have to be a very bad swimmer to drown, im not the best swimmer and its easy for me to swim out and get a boat, if the boat is very far out i suppose it could get difficult, just think about all the people that swim for miles and miles though, i don't see them drowning
Sounds a little ignorant to me to hear someone say that just because there are people who can swim for miles and miles that you should consider swimming for a model boat. I mean the news stories above are REAL DEATHS of REAL MEN. There are many more stories out there - at least one a year (that is a REAL number).

People may overlook the fact that you dont just swim to the boat - you have to swim back. The wind can pick up and push the boat further than initially thought. Your eye is on getting to the boat - and not how far have I gone. People are often not prepared to swim (wearing shoes and clothes). Water temps in Perth are probably more favorable than here in spring time (water is often about 3 or 4 degrees C - You would not make it 30 meters in those temps).

But hey - you want to swim - have at it. It is just NOT what I am recommending to anyone.
As a former triathlete I know what distance swimming is like. I don't have a recovery boat and swim/wade to get mine. I never do that if my feet can't touch the bottom. When I run the boat I have swim trunks on take my shirt and footwear off if I have to recover the boat. If the boat is out past chest depth flipped or not I wait for it to float in.

If I start running the boat in deeper waters I'll be getting a recovery boat.

Even a good swimmer would not recommend swimming out. It's a toy!

Triathletes spend hours in the water, swim with wet suits on if the water is cold and even they have been known to drown if the water gets too rough. That's with out trying to push a boat in as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
cheesewizz69

Ok folks, it is obvious that not everyone is going to agree on the subject of swimming to rescue a “toy”. This is a free country after all, well at least so far it is. LOL

That news article posted by JAW about the drowning in Florida was at our lake. Even today I still see folks dive in and swim out to retrieve a flipped boat there. The lake is located inside a county park and is not shallow. Just by looking at it from the shoreline it does not look intimidating. For the most part the banks have a shallow entry with a sudden drop to twenty feet in depth about eight to ten feet in. The bottom is decomposed organic material “muck” with weeds about a foot under the surface in various areas. It was built out while dredging years ago when I was in HS. Yes we did do the usual childish things when you are in HS at the lake so I am very aware of its dangers.

So when someone decides to swimming after a “toy” I do my best to warn them of the dangers and of course I get the same responses from some of the folks posting here. So I leave them with this if you go out and get in trouble the best thing I can and will do for you is dial 911 my life is more valuable than you and your toy. Enjoy your swim….

Know the risk and the reward.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.