Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

jet cat 300 pro or KT g4 320

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

jet cat 300 pro or KT g4 320

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 10:02 AM
winter1

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a problem with the starter on my G2 turbine - (respectively with the starter stored in a plastic case and with the starter clutch.) I wonder if my colleague had the same problem or if it was something else. I want to buy a KT 320G4 turbine for my next jet. I want to know what awaits me. I would not like to solve the same problem. I know that the starters on G4 turbines are redesigned, but I don't know to what extent. Whether only a new brushless motor is used and its mounting in an aluminum housing, but the clutch mechanism has remained the same or is also improved. ***winter***
Old 12-25-2020, 10:06 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by winter1
I had a problem with the starter on my G2 turbine - (respectively with the starter stored in a plastic case and with the starter clutch.) I wonder if my colleague had the same problem or if it was something else. I want to buy a KT 320G4 turbine for my next jet. I want to know what awaits me. I would not like to solve the same problem. I know that the starters on G4 turbines are redesigned, but I don't know to what extent. Whether only a new brushless motor is used and its mounting in an aluminum housing, but the clutch mechanism has remained the same or is also improved. ***winter***
The new starter are brushless now.....lesson, I had to wait 3.5 weeks before my 210 was shipped, so they are in high demand....and I don’t hear on FB that’s there’s a major design problem...some have problem but that go for all model and kind...not just G4

they been using that starter on the many of there’s for a while now I’m confident in mine...
Old 12-25-2020, 10:28 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone,

I have just bought a 220RXI for a 1/5 scale F16. If I like the generator function ; I may purchase the Jetcat 300 with the generator. The BMS (batt management system) seems in some ways to be great and even better backup but also perhaps a risk if there are smaller batteries that didnt charge. I like the "full scale" feel of starting up and powering up...I hope. I like the 220 rxi with bus for ECU batt and 2 RX batts. Could eliminate field charging.

Merry Christmas,
Dave
Old 12-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by ddennison
Thanks everyone,

I have just bought a 220RXI for a 1/5 scale F16. If I like the generator function ; I may purchase the Jetcat 300 with the generator. The BMS (batt management system) seems in some ways to be great and even better backup but also perhaps a risk if there are smaller batteries that didnt charge. I like the "full scale" feel of starting up and powering up...I hope. I like the 220 rxi with bus for ECU batt and 2 RX batts. Could eliminate field charging.

Merry Christmas,
Dave
So this charge the RX’s batteries....I was under the impression it didn’t?
Old 12-25-2020, 10:46 AM
ddennison

Yes, the turbine will charge the ECU battery. It seems then that the ECU battery will then provide power for charging the Receiver batteries through the separate BMS module. I will have 2 Rx packs with internal balancing capability. It can charge unbalanced packs but only up to about 90% "full".

Giving it a whirl.

Dave

Old 12-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by ddennison
Yes, the turbine will charge the ECU battery. It seems then that the ECU battery will then provide power for charging the Receiver batteries through the separate BMS module. I will have 2 Rx packs with internal balancing capability. It can charge unbalanced packs but only up to about 90% "full".

Giving it a whirl.

Dave
Humm.....I will stay with Kingtech I think I don’t want my RX pack’s to charge via an ECU battery....seem like a risky solution!

thank’s
Old 12-25-2020, 10:53 AM
ddennison

I hear you. Could be a problem but with telemetry Id think we would have plenty of warning. I usually like SIMPLE but am trying to embrace some technology as well.

Kind of cool though to take off and land at same batt voltage and capacity 😊

Reports from the field have been pretty positive with the BMS.

D
Old 12-25-2020, 01:15 PM
winter1

Originally Posted by Dansy
The new starter are brushless now.....lesson, I had to wait 3.5 weeks before my 210 was shipped, so they are in high demand....and I don’t hear on FB that’s there’s a major design problem...some have problem but that go for all model and kind...not just G4
they been using that starter on the many of there’s for a while now I’m confident in mine...
I had a mechanical problem with the starter on my G2 turbine.
I am interested in whether this problem can also occur with the new G4 turbine series.
If anyone is interested in what the problem was and how I solved it so that it does not recur, I can write details. I'll be happy if it helps someone. ***winter***
Old 12-25-2020, 05:35 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by winter1
I had a mechanical problem with the starter on my G2 turbine.
I am interested in whether this problem can also occur with the new G4 turbine series.
If anyone is interested in what the problem was and how I solved it so that it does not recur, I can write details. I'll be happy if it helps someone. ***winter***
‘To be honest I haven’t many problem with my current 7 Kingtech motors.....I did have one that on the first run it give me a fit....would go into cool down....(starter motor wouldn’t turn) but I could manually motor it....sometimes it would sometimes not....end up sending it back in after talking to Dirk......she when back to Taiwan and I got another new one never had a problem with that one still have it......that’s it, I guess I have been lucky, I also don’t screw around with them, test run 2x time very short run before the first install then they stay in....Diesel with Kingtech oil 5%....
Old 12-27-2020, 02:14 AM
winter1

As I mentioned, I had a mechanical problem with the K-140G2 turbine starter. On the third takeoff with my new turbine, I made a normal flight over the airfield. I pulled the elevator lever. At the point when the plane began to climb (during a heavy overload) there was a different sound. Like a bumblebee flying through a turbine. Just for a fraction of a second.
After landing, I found out that the turbine cooling was not working. I tried manual operation of the starter, also nothing.
The starter was damaged because the starter clutch touched the turbine cone at full turbine power. This resulted in the destruction of the starter. Torn winding of the starter rotor caused by centrifugal force.
I analyzed why this might have happened and found the following.
- the starter was stored in a plastic case with a "large" mechanical radial clearance. This means that he could move a tenth of a millimeter during the aircraft's sharp maneuvers.
-the starter coupling has no fuse to keep it inserted. The video shows that the clutch moves to its starting position by its own weight.
Add to this the small gap between the starter clutch and the turbine cone (it should be 1-1.5 mm), it can happen that the starter clutch touches the turbine cone during the flight.
I have taken the following measures:
-I have eliminated any mechanical play of the starter in the starter housing.
-I have ensured that the brass ring of the starter clutch cannot move spontaneously. I achieved this by gluing miniature nagnets and a metal ring with Hysol 9462 glue (I attached a few pictures)
-I set the gap between the starter coupling and the starter cone to 1.5 mm.
After a few takeoffs and flying with a lot of overload, everything seems to be fine.
I know my English is not perfect. I believe you understand me. If anyone has had a similar problem, then I believe it will help them.
I also believe that with a number of G4 turbines, the manufacturer has improved the starting mechanism and something similar can no longer happen. ***winter***

Damaged starter

Metal ring and miniature magnets. They have the task of keeping the brass ring of the clutch in the starter off position.

Ready for installation.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:54 AM
Dansy

I have a few KingTech G2 and I pull hard on lots of flight as well seen many do the same....never saw that problem before, I would have sent it to the factory for repair....we do pay for the service...

Last edited by Dansy; 12-27-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:24 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

How about the new SW 300 is this something to consider as a good choice for turbine that class.