Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

which is best plane? QQ86" or extreme 88" yak

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

which is best plane? QQ86" or extreme 88" yak

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: which is best plane? QQ86" or extreme 88" yak

ORIGINAL: mandtra

So *your* saying the AK models yak54 for $ 420.00 shipped and the DAWG house yak 55 for $ 429 shipped is Crap? and not worth buying at any price ? I may can admit that Extreme flight 88" is better, BUT at $738.00 is's almost twice the price. is it twice as good as these two planes?

If I could lay hands on the two others inspect the build etc. I could decide for myself , but since they are very far away that's not an option. For instance the Dawg House yak55 has a CF wing tube CF stab tube ,CF tail wheel , is covered in Ultracote, and from what I can tell has very good hardware. and lets be for real here for a moment ALL of these planes are made in ASIA and multiple brands often come out of the same factory. THat's called (branding) and also called private labeling.

one more example: , I have a DA, and some time back I was looking at clone engines ,there were those that said all the clones were crap.and DA was the only real choice. well, since I have bought a crrc50i and (2) area 51's and they are both a better VALUE for my money than DA. Heck the Area51 out of the box out performed a da50 with 5 gallons thru it.
I would not say they are crap by any means... However I would say there is a big of difference between how they fly. As far as hardware well you really need to compare apples to apples here, are the others coming with titianium links, ball links, a nice pilot, depron floor, nice control horns, cf tubes, etc.?

Sorry, but Chris doesn't just go to some factory and say hey let me "brand that plane" he visits there several times a year for hands on design input, flies and tests the heck out of his products. Some if not all of his products also go into a wind tunnel for extended testing as well.

Chris was also a sponsored pilot at one point in time so his flying is top class and he knows what he is looking for when he designs and flies his planes.

QQ - well the name says enough

Do the other guys have the same amount of time into the design? I don't think so.

I did try and watch the DH Yak videos just now, but to be honest there isn't much that shows you how the plane flies.

Ultimately you have to decide what works for you, save some more or buy what you can afford. I am sure you will enjoy either without a doubt.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
My Feedback: (1)

804 , I would like to know your thoughts on the quality of build? hardware, covering job, AUW , and your setup , and if you have some good pictures that would be great.
Here are some photos. The first one is brand new in April at the field. The others are after 150+ flights. The fuse is new, with about 15 flights, because of operator error.[:@]
I will PM you with details and impressions it'll be a long post.
Long story short, I am very happy with the quality and flying characteristics of this plane, and Dawghouse' service.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85706.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1101587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11795.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1101588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10744.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1101589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69013.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1101590  
Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

So *your* saying the AK models yak54 for $ 420.00 shipped and the DAWG house yak 55 for $ 429 shipped is Crap? and not worth buying at any price ? I may can admit that Extreme flight 88" is better, BUT at $738.00 is's almost twice the price. is it twice as good as these two planes?

If I could lay hands on the two others inspect the build etc. I could decide for myself , but since they are very far away that's not an option. For instance the Dawg House yak55 has a CF wing tube CF stab tube ,CF tail wheel , is covered in Ultracote, and from what I can tell has very good hardware. and lets be for real here for a moment ALL of these planes are made in ASIA and multiple brands often come out of the same factory. THat's called (branding) and also called private labeling.

one more example: , I have a DA, and some time back I was looking at clone engines ,there were those that said all the clones were crap.and DA was the only real choice. well, since I have bought a crrc50i and (2) area 51's and they are both a better VALUE for my money than DA. Heck the Area51 out of the box out performed a da50 with 5 gallons thru it.
I would not say they are crap by any means... However I would say there is a big of difference between how they fly. As far as hardware well you really need to compare apples to apples here, are the others coming with titianium links, ball links, a nice pilot, depron floor, nice control horns, cf tubes, etc.?

Sorry, but Chris doesn't just go to some factory and say hey let me "brand that plane" he visits there several times a year for hands on design input, flies and tests the heck out of his products. Some if not all of his products also go into a wind tunnel for extended testing as well.

Chris was also a sponsored pilot at one point in time so his flying is top class and he knows what he is looking for when he designs and flies his planes.

QQ - well the name says enough

Do the other guys have the same amount of time into the design? I don't think so.

I did try and watch the DH Yak videos just now, but to be honest there isn't much that shows you how the plane flies.

Ultimately you have to decide what works for you, save some more or buy what you can afford. I am sure you will enjoy either without a doubt.

Jake saved my lots of typing and answered it better than I could have anyway. Thanks Jake.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
RTK

I have not flown both of these yaks, but I do own the EF. The EF is top notch when it comes to hardware and construction, which I assume the QQ is also. One thing with the EF is keep it light, otherwise it will exhibit some funky characteristics. It is a good flying plane, but I think a lot of hoopla has been made over it and I would bet many others fly just as well. Everyone else that owns either of these planes say they are both excellent.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: RTK

I have not flown both of these yaks, but I do own the EF. The EF is top notch when it comes to hardware and construction, which I assume the QQ is also. One thing with the EF is keep it light, otherwise it will exhibit some funky characteristics. It is a good flying plane, but I think a lot of hoopla has been made over it and I would bet many others fly just as well. Everyone else that owns either of these planes say they are both excellent.
I'd agree about them not being that light, but you have to take into consideration the sheer size of them. What are the funky characteristics? I don't agree with the hoopla part. They fly simply amazing and that's not hoopla IMO.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:22 PM
RTK

It would drop a wing at certain elevator deflections,(not at really high or low deflections) after changing out from an average weight engine/pipe combo and going to a BME 58 on stock muffler, that problem is almost 100% gone. Various rudder deflections bring different coupling and other strange habits, but bearable. It's a big plane, but you better keep it light, flies slow very well. I still haven't fixed the horizontal stab incidence, so maybe that is contributing to these characteristics.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
JoeAirPort

Ok, I do remember reading about this a few months ago. I know what you're talking about now. Might have been weight and incidence.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Jake Ruddy

The Stab issue is a MAJOR effect on how it flies - like night and day difference. Come on RTK it takes 30 mins to fix Fix and retirm the plane and you will be wondering why you didn't do it sooner
Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Yak was one of the 1st batches that went out and my stab was off from Zero. I cannot recall what it turned out to be. I had to remove it and widen the mounting hole to one direction while filling it in on the other direction to keep it round. I think some flyer just remounted the donut on the inside of the fuse to correct this deal. 1/2 dozen ways it may be fixed. Here is what my trim looked like after the 1st flight. It caused the plane to climb badly inverted and fall badly on regualar miden flight. AFter the correction its now level on the stab/elevators.

If anyone stabs looks like my pictures and is also not zero across the board correct that deal and you will be glad u did....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63380.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1103264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82826.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1103265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61308.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1103266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25885.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1103267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73310.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1103268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28846.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1103269  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
RTK

I know, I know, I just too lazy and it is duck season now, so my time has been limited. I'm going flying today if/when it warms up to 40*.
Thanks Jake for letting me know it will fly much better with the fix, to date no one has mentioned it would make that much difference so I wasn't in any hurry to do the mod.
Gerold, mine are worse than that, but with my cg and set-up I am pretty neutral inverted even with the massive trim. It made my first take off very interesing. I usually just stab the throttle and go, you can imagine my suprise when it instantly nosed over and started trimming the grass, luckly I was quick enough to yank the elevator.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i feel ya well tell us the deal once you correct the issue. we need a pit crew like they do up here in Nascar country then i would brag about time mgmt
Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
JoeAirPort

I have a new EF Yak and the incidence is 0 on everything. This issue was resolved.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: RTK

I know, I know, I just too lazy and it is duck season now, so my time has been limited. I'm going flying today if/when it warms up to 40*.
Thanks Jake for letting me know it will fly much better with the fix, to date no one has mentioned it would make that much difference so I wasn't in any hurry to do the mod.
Gerold, mine are worse than that, but with my cg and set-up I am pretty neutral inverted even with the massive trim. It made my first take off very interesing. I usually just stab the throttle and go, you can imagine my suprise when it instantly nosed over and started trimming the grass, luckly I was quick enough to yank the elevator.

no prob... the early 74" Yaks had the same problem. I was doing a review on one and I really didn't like the way it flew and I couldnt figure out why it was so unstable in some areas and just didn't track like I expected. Then I checked the incidence and it was off by 1.5 degrees on one stab. I kind of scratched my head and wondered if it was really making that much of a difference.

Low and behold I fixed it and I was shocked Was an eye opener for me. I know some of the early 88" Yaks were worse and I have flown a couple with and without the fix and the difference is just as big if not bigger.