Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

12/30 UPDATED (KILLED TIGER I photos added) The MAD 1/24 battle field!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

12/30 UPDATED (KILLED TIGER I photos added) The MAD 1/24 battle field!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 12/30 UPDATED (KILLED TIGER I photos added) The MAD 1/24 battle field!!

I bought 2 sheets of Foam board that they make signs out of. This should be good material for making buildings, which i plan on starting soon. You can cut it on one side and just fold it to make angles. should work out well. This will be a test of my artistic skills. or lack there of.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: 12/30 UPDATED (KILLED TIGER I photos added) The MAD 1/24 battle field!!

Thanks Guy's .
Panther G ware you get the faom stuff from?
And man that little bridge took for ever to make I did not think it would be so time consuming.... I cant even imagine how long it took Charlie to make the bridge he brought to the last NEAD battle two thumbs up for him that's a work of art!!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great!!! That's a lot of patience and skill brother!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 AM
204sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, Good follow-thru on making the bridge as you said you would. Looks sturdy from the way you overlapped the top beams onto the angle pieces.Also
was impressed by the way your water looks so friggin real from the angle photo with the bridge crossing in the background.A+ for technical ability,Steve.

Charlie
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 PM
shenlonco

Thanks Charlie!
Your bridge must have taken for ever to compleate! I did not think they would take so long to make.

I just ordered these trees hope they look good... I figure i can take them out of the wooden pot and place them on the field better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-24-MINI-P...30049026733090
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Steve,

You could add this to your water also, makes great effects http://www.micromark.com/REALISTIC-W...L-OZ,8125.html

Cheers,
Wade
Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 PM
shenlonco

Thanks i have to look into that...I think the hobby shop by me has that stuff...Is it durable?
Also how do you know how much you would need to use?

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

Steve,

You could add this to your water also, makes great effects http://www.micromark.com/REALISTIC-W...L-OZ,8125.html

Cheers,
Wade
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

A friend of mine used that on a train layout, it seems pretty durable, but then again he doesn't really move it. I wouldn't say its pliable, almost like a urethane. Not sure how much you would need. My friend only used a thin layer of it, but it does look pretty good, he even added ripple effects and a waterfall.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

A friend of mine used that on a train layout, it seems pretty durable, but then again he doesn't really move it. I wouldn't say its pliable, almost like a urethane. Not sure how much you would need. My friend only used a thin layer of it, but it does look pretty good, he even added ripple effects and a waterfall.

Cheers,
Wade
Hi I would need somthing that is super strong as I drive the tanks over the thin part of the water and with the turning plastic tank tracks it may do damage to it.
It looks ok right now I think i am going to just leave it as is.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
four slot

Shenlonco,
If you wish to try your hand at some shaping, you can easly make hills, walls andburms using just poly styrene (styrofoam) that you can get at Home Depot, comes in sheets
18" x 48" x 1 1/2" approx. 6 sheet perbag was not even $20.00 bucks here in Canada.

You use good old latex primer (Home Depot) for glue, you then layer the hills to what ever height youdesire. Once you have layered youbegin shapingusing a crappy ols knife then smooth it out using 40 grit sandpaper to sand the shape you want. Once you are satisfied withthe shape then you can use a flat latex paint and finish the way youwant. You can add dirt to the wet paint for texture.

The nice thing with this material is it is easy to work with, cheap, light weightand it will stand up to the tank abuse and will absolutley carry there weight. You poke holes in for trees.
Using this method will make your great setup look fantastic.

I have done this method on my slot car track ans have run my tanks on it for fun with no issues.

Ihope this will help you good luck.
Ray
Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
shenlonco

Hi Thanks.
Are you talking about the pink or blue sheet stuff?
Also if into 1/32 and HO slots take a look at my site.
[link=http://www.pprslots.com]Slot car site[/link]

ORIGINAL: four slot

Shenlonco,
If you wish to try your hand at some shaping, you can easly make hills, walls and burms using just poly styrene (styrofoam) that you can get at Home Depot, comes in sheets
18'' x 48'' x 1 1/2'' approx. 6 sheet per bag was not even $20.00 bucks here in Canada.

You use good old latex primer (Home Depot) for glue, you then layer the hills to what ever height you desire. Once you have layered you begin shaping using a crappy ols knife then smooth it out using 40 grit sandpaper to sand the shape you want. Once you are satisfied with the shape then you can use a flat latex paint and finish the way you want. You can add dirt to the wet paint for texture.

The nice thing with this material is it is easy to work with, cheap, light weight and it will stand up to the tank abuse and will absolutley carry there weight. You poke holes in for trees.
Using this method will make your great set up look fantastic.

I have done this method on my slot car track ans have run my tanks on it for fun with no issues.

I hope this will help you good luck.
Ray
Old 11-09-2010, 06:26 PM
shenlonco

Update
Painted table surface the color of Tamiya EARTH and also painted the tables side flat black and added some tanks around it...there are 4 tank types only 2 shown in photos.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The foam board i got was from Micheal's. i'm sure you can get it at most craft stores. At the time it was 2 sheets for 2.99 each. A little more than card board but works well and will last for awhile.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
shenlonco

Cool.
I don't know i am thinking real dirt on the whole left side but i don't know if it will be best with the 1/24 tanks and if it would get hard and packed also??
Old 11-11-2010, 06:15 PM
shenlonco

well i decided to go with grassy hils on the right side!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 PM
four slot

Yes you can use that as well but the white poly styrene is less expensive and works great
Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 PM
shenlonco

Guy's i found a place near me that sells Redart pottery clay I spoke with a guy and he said mix it with sand and moisten it a little and i will be able to make anything i want hilld trails and so forth ...he said it will get hard and stay the shap i mold ... so i am going to get some it's only $12.99 for a 50Lb bag so i am thinking mix it 50/50 with sand and it should work out i hope!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
shenlonco

Don't think i am going to put the real dirt on the table as it will be to messy i feel... anyhow here is a bridge photo i added some dirt efect to it.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
shenlonco

Tried my hand at cement dirt bumps!!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:22 PM
shenlonco

Well i decided what i am going to try for dirt I went ahead and purchased some woodland scenics ground cover in a couple different shades from tower hobbies and i am going to use thinned out elmers glue and spread the ground cover over it ....I figure it will look more like dirt and if it does not hold down and some comes up it won't matter anyhow because it's so fine it won's cause any tracks to pop off or anything.

Here is one of the colors i purchased.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Capt.Canuck

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

Well i decided what i am going to try for dirt I went ahead and purchased some woodland scenics ground cover in a couple different shades from tower hobbies and i am going to use thinned out elmers glue and spread the ground cover over it ....I figure it will look more like dirt and if it does not hold down and some comes up it won't matter anyhow because it's so fine it won's cause any tracks to pop off or anything.

I'm starting to build some 1/72 battlefields/dioramas for my son, and I've also been looking at Woodland Scenics products.

Instead of the Elmers glue, consider this product as it's probably easier to use and more controllable - it can be sprayed right out of a bottle and dries matte.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandsceni...em/S191/page/5
Old 11-24-2010, 05:21 PM
shenlonco

Hi thanks Capt.Canuck

I did some reserch on this & they say use elmers glue deluted with water 50/50 and it works the same way but you will save $$

ORIGINAL: Capt.Canuck

I'm starting to build some 1/72 battlefields/dioramas for my son, and I've also been looking at Woodland Scenics products.

Instead of the Elmers glue, consider this product as it's probably easier to use and more controllable - it can be sprayed right out of a bottle and dries matte.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandsceni...em/S191/page/5
Old 11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Capt.Canuck

Hi thanks Capt.Canuck

I did some reserch on this & they say use elmers glue deluted with water 50/50 and it works the same way but you will save $$

Well aren't we clever?

Will the diluted Elmer's spray right out of the bottle too? That was the appeal of the other stuff for me.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 PM
shenlonco

Yes i seen a video on youtube I searched woodland scenics and i seen a video where a guy says use elmers duloted and he shos how to make a sceen with the ground cover.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
shenlonco

Some battle field test videos
more coming waiting for upload!

[link=http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/shenlonco/?action=view¤t=testrun006.mp4]battle field test grass[/link]

[link=http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/shenlonco/?action=view¤t=testrun007.mp4]battle field test bridge[/link]

[link=http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/shenlonco/?action=view¤t=testrun008.mp4]through the water and into the grass[/link]

[link=http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/shenlonco/?action=view&current=bridgetest.mp4]bridge test[/link]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.