Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Worst RC job - rebuilding shocks or gear diffs?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Rebuilding shocks
30.77%
Rebuilding diffs
38.46%
You mean I am supposed to rebuild them?
30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Worst RC job - rebuilding shocks or gear diffs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst RC job - rebuilding shocks or gear diffs?

ORIGINAL: tl671

In this rtr world in which we live, it seems that people complain about doing the slightest bit of maintenance. A lot of people in this hobby have never put together a vehicle from a box of parts, and it shows.[&o] There was no such thing as rtr when I started in this hobby, now that I think of it, assembling my R/C cars were the first in a lifetime of taking apart, repairing, and reassembling vehicles. I have since gone on to work on just about every type vehicle you could imagine, short of space vehicles. So I guess my answer is neither, if you can't handle a little maintenance then try crocheting, or needle point.
Kinda sounds like that walked uphill both ways to school in a snowstorm story I have heard so many times

Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I guess my answer is neither, if you can't handle a little maintenance then try crocheting, or needle point.
You might be taking this thread in the wrong light. I don't think the issue is disliking maintenance, it's just comparing various mainenance tasks. For those that really do dislike maintenance, they can still suffer through it, orpay someone to do it. No need to switch hobbies.

I enjoy the tinkering, modding, wrenching part of it more than the driving, but there's still maintenance tasks I'd rather not do....but I do them. I'd rather rebuild shocks, differentials, and any other type of mainentance than remove leaves, pine needles, dirt, etc. But I don't hate it enough to farm it out, or not do it (although sometimes I put it off longer than I should).
Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Engines, shocks, gear boxes, diffs.....love rebuilding them all. Then model airplane engines.

Then I love to rebuild snowmobile engines, and clutches, and drive trains. Then water pumps and 4 barrel carbs on boats. I love it all.

The RC cars are the most rebuilt, however, since they are what I abuse the hardest.

EDIT: Much like Argess, my least favorite maintenance regimen is cleaning the vehicle
Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Im not a fan of shocks... Mainly because my shocks always seem to leak, or not work how i like them too. Except for my savage, which has perfect shocks out of the box and 10 gallons later they have yet to leak or need to be rebuilt[8D]

I actually enjoy differentials. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to get a new differential in and shimmed perfectly and greased up and knowing you will get hours of good service out of that baby

Eric
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks are worse, I don't mind transmission and diffs that much.

The worst is assembling turnbuckles though....
Old 12-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Malmuerte

ORIGINAL: airmayle

I would have to say gear diffs. Shocks don't bother me, as long as they are good quality shocks. I just built some new aluminum shocks and they still used the cheap plastic snap on part that holds the o-rings and plastic washer in on the bottom of the shock. Everything else is threaded except that part. You would think that would be the most important part to have threaded. They work fine and still are better than the stock but for that reason I only will give them a 6 out of 10.
Agreed. I recently got a Losi 1/10th? scale might be eighth scale slider and the bottoms of the shocks are held with a thin metal spring retainer. The bottoms of the shocks have popped out on me twice in 2 weeks of racing. How does anyone look at that and say to themselves that's a good idea?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Yeah... my fingers always hurt after doing that. Especially if you are using RPM cups... those things hate going on.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Malmuerte

ORIGINAL: mc4798

In this rtr world in which we live, it seems that people complain about doing the slightest bit of maintenance. A lot of people in this hobby have never put together a vehicle from a box of parts, and it shows.[&o] There was no such thing as rtr when I started in this hobby, now that I think of it, assembling my R/C cars were the first in a lifetime of taking apart, repairing, and reassembling vehicles. I have since gone on to work on just about every type vehicle you could imagine, short of space vehicles. So I guess my answer is neither, if you can't handle a little maintenance then try crocheting, or needle point.
Kinda sounds like that walked uphill both ways to school in a snowstorm story I have heard so many times

No kidding. I didn'teven know my dadcould get on the internet.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM
tl671
My Feedback: (1)

mc4798 "Kinda sounds like that walked uphill both ways to school in a snowstorm story I have heard so many times."

Unfortunately, growing up in Miami, FL we never got much snow, or hills. My first post was about half joking, but it is symptomatic of a greater laziness / unwillingness to fix ones own property, or at least learn how so as not to be victimized by those who do. Being a mechanic my whole life I have seen first hand the slimy, underhanded tricks used by some unscrupulous mechanics to screw customers out of money. On multiple occasions I quit immediately and packed up my tools upon being asked to do something dishonest. Not knowing what is involved most people are willing sheep to the slaughter for this kind of person. And for me it all started with a Futaba FX10.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

you know I didn't think of that
I hate it how you have a royal PITA getting the cup on, and then a slight bump knocks it out...

Personally I like working on the RC's more than running them. Its just the shocks, and ball cups that I really dislike
Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM
airmayle

I forgot about turnbuckles!! I dislike turnbuckles the most. For some reason I can never get them exact. I should probably have a caliper instead of trying to eye ball it.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

I don't mind either. I really got a hang of shocks though. I don't mind the mess. It seems with shocks it just takes time to let all the air bubbles out.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have built many kits but some things are just annoying and i'm sure you will agree too.

It's not that we lack the skills it's that sometimes these tear downs happen at the wrong time, before the race, before heading out for parking lot bashing, btw at least if your drive in dog **** you have a laugh

Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
hnasdad

As a new "builder" of a FT SC10, Ireally enjoyed the build, to me its fun. Ive made many mistakes already, and taken apart and rebuilt things that ive broken or had assembled wrong. My son's 9yr old agressive driving, had added another car to work on/repair. Im going diff on this one, for the simple fact of the ease of access, The rear bumper is attached several different places making getting to that tranny sort of a pain. Ive been trying to get the SC10 to run on carpet, and in doing so been in and out of those shocks several times in the last couple weeks. My favorive part about the shocks is the one beer wait, for all those bubbles to get to the top....of course sometimes you miss a bubble or two......just wait another beer. Any job that requires you to wait and drink a beer cant be that bad.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
srtracer

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

both those are easy, difficult is replacing upper and lower arms with adjustible pillowballs.

+1 love just about everything rc except pillow balls

and turnbuckles are a close 2nd but once their together its not as bad
Old 12-16-2010, 02:34 AM
mc4798

ORIGINAL: airmayle

I forgot about turnbuckles!! I dislike turnbuckles the most. For some reason I can never get them exact. I should probably have a caliper instead of trying to eye ball it.
Turnbuckles are a pain. But there is a few tools that make life easier such as calipers and one of the greatest inventions ever

Tools may be one of the best parts of RC.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 AM
mc4798

mc4798 "Kinda sounds like that walked uphill both ways to school in a snowstorm story I have heard so many times."

Unfortunately, growing up in Miami, FL we never got much snow, or hills. My first post was about half joking, but it is symptomatic of a greater laziness / unwillingness to fix ones own property, or at least learn how so as not to be victimized by those who do. Being a mechanic my whole life I have seen first hand the slimy, underhanded tricks used by some unscrupulous mechanics to screw customers out of money. On multiple occasions<span style="color: #ff0000"> I quit immediately and packed up my tools upon being asked to do something dishonest</span>. Not knowing what is involved most people are willing sheep to the slaughter for this kind of person. And for me it all started with a Futaba FX10.

Good for you. I worked along time in the automotive field and I am very aware of the shady practices that alot of repair facilities use.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mc4798

mc4798 ''Kinda sounds like that walked uphill both ways to school in a snowstorm story I have heard so many times.''

Unfortunately, growing up in Miami, FL we never got much snow, or hills. My first post was about half joking, but it is symptomatic of a greater laziness / unwillingness to fix ones own property, or at least learn how so as not to be victimized by those who do. Being a mechanic my whole life I have seen first hand the slimy, underhanded tricks used by some unscrupulous mechanics to screw customers out of money. On multiple occasions<span style=''color: #ff0000''> I quit immediately and packed up my tools upon being asked to do something dishonest</span>. Not knowing what is involved most people are willing sheep to the slaughter for this kind of person. And for me it all started with a Futaba FX10.

Good for you. I worked along time in the automotive field and I am very aware of the shady practices that alot of repair facilities use.
i wont work for a shop thats shady, ive seen it and it is just BS, though its hard to explain to someone who (thinks) all they need a allignment, but finds out all their ball joints and tie rods are about ready to break off, and the brakes are down to metal, then they think its upselling and leave in a uproar, mechanics have a bad name thanks to some low lifes.[&o]