Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Alpine A110 M05Ra ESC motor help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Alpine A110 M05Ra ESC motor help

lol its funny you mention that, i was just pricing out the blue aluminum steering parts, too bad i cant find them in orange, that would be awesome! and apparently my local hobby shop doesnt know what they are talking about, i just called and asked about 11x50 bearing and he said they would be way to big for my car, is it 11x50 or 11x5? from what he was saying 11x5 would be about the proper size for the m05. i might just order that kit and have some spares on hand lol
Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM
gokemidoro

8X50 and 11X50 are what's in the manual, so the LHS guy probably isn't aware. If the bearing kit is specific to the M05, go ahead and order it. If it's a Tamiya bearing kit, they will DEFINITELY fit. Tamiya has always been very good about the fit of most of their parts.Oh, no......Blue is always a sign of TRF parts! Tamiya has been making some of their high-end kits in gold, which is as close to orange as they will ever get, but not for the M05, so far.....In any case, an aluminum steering rack makes a big difference in the M05's handling characteristics. If you get the two parts that go on top of the steering bellcranks for reinforcement in aluminum, they will tighten up steering a lot! The steering bellcranks can still be plastic. My S-Spec only has those two aluminum reinforcement parts, and the difference is huge! I have a standard M05 to compare the S-Spec to, and they both handle totally different! The S-Spec has MUCH "crisper" steering, where the stock one is a bit "vague."TQRC does have other versions of the CR-X.....I was just there a bit ago, and the "Ballad," though not the one you are after, is close......That one is still in stock.......
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM
diabolic-mind

NICE, ill have to go check that out now, man, its really easy to dump alot of money into these things, but i love my rc's, ill be driving them when im in a retirement home when im 90 lol
Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

NICE, ill have to go check that out now, man, its really easy to dump alot of money into these things, but i love my rc's, ill be driving them when im in a retirement home when im 90 lol
Heheh!You got that right! I'm retired (only 56, but I did it early), and RC has practically ruled my life. Aside from movies (DVD/BluRay), it's all I spent my extra cash on...... The M05 is quite affordable, considering I have spent upwards of $1,200 to $1,500 each, on some of my "upper-end" 1/10th on-road chassis! Most of those are drifters, now, but most all my "grip" on-roaders are minis (I even have a couple of mini-drifters!).The "M" class is one of those RC classes that will never fade away. There has been racing classes for those for decades! I really do have to get another M05, though! They don't perform nearly as well as my ABC Hobby minis, but they are still tons of fun! Talking about them the way we are, I sort of miss building them. I may get another S-Spec, as those are probably the pinnacle of the M05 design, so far. M03's are said to be faster, but those are so sloppy (they work better with a lot of slop), they just don't appeal to my meticulous nature!Anyway, sign up for the TQRC newsletter! They periodically have great stuff for sale, and at slightly better prices than the larger distribution stores. They did, at one time, sell a mini kit that used M05 parts, that is F-A-S-T! I have one of those, and it flies. I have to rebuild it, however, because it sustained some damage the last time it was out, and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.......
Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 PM
diabolic-mind

where is TQRC located? is it in the states? i was just digging through my parts box, and low and behold i found two male and one female deans style traxxas plugs! so im soldering those on right now and going to take the M05 out for a spin and see how it performs, my soldering skills arent the best, but im confident it will do the trick, ill post back in a few with the results!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
diabolic-mind

and i hear yo uabout talking about a car making you miss it, a buddy of mine just got a rc18t, so i help him out with questions about it as i used to own a rc18r, and that was a nasty little car. it was brushed, but for a brushed car it had some really nice speed, had alot of "opps" with it and hardly ever broke any parts, i really really miss that thing, i often think about getting another. right now my only two rc's are the M05 and a hubsan X4 micro quadcopter, which is a blast to fly around lol
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM
diabolic-mind

yeah you were right these plugs did make a bit of a difference, nothing drastic, but its noticeable. i read on another site that gearbox bearings will make a noticeable difference in the speed to as everything will be turning alot smoother. so that is my next step, however with my next check ill have a bit of extra money to spend, so i might go with a better esc and motor. id like to see how much i can get out of it with a brushed setup before transitioning to brushless. are these typically kind of noisy when they run? like a whining sound almost
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM
gokemidoro

where is TQRC located? is it in the states? i was just digging through my parts box, and low and behold i found two male and one female deans style traxxas plugs! so im soldering those on right now and going to take the M05 out for a spin and see how it performs, my soldering skills arent the best, but im confident it will do the trick, ill post back in a few with the results!
TQRC Racing is in Chino, CA. I went there last year, and it's a nice place, with great people. Some tracks in CA have attitudes that don't give RC a good name, but the folk at TQRC were all really nice! TQRC is also the only track that allows ABC minis (seeing as they sell them!). They run M05's too, but those will never get to the performance level to run with ABC minis. The retail section is small, compared to the rest of the building, and they run the online store from there. It's not much to look at, but they have bunches and bunches of parts!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM
gokemidoro

and i hear yo uabout talking about a car making you miss it, a buddy of mine just got a rc18t, so i help him out with questions about it as i used to own a rc18r, and that was a nasty little car. it was brushed, but for a brushed car it had some really nice speed, had alot of "opps" with it and hardly ever broke any parts, i really really miss that thing, i often think about getting another. right now my only two rc's are the M05 and a hubsan X4 micro quadcopter, which is a blast to fly around lol
You'd probably get jealous if I told you how many I have. It's so bad, My shelves (they share room with my DVD/BluRay collection) won't hold everything, so some the older chassis are stacked in the closet! I also have an Associated 18R! It's all but been mothballed, and I also have an 18SC turned into an on-road racing truck. The one thing you will always have "up" on me is anything that flies. I can't fly. Just don't have the "spatial orientation" to do it. Left and right, forward and back, I do fine.....introduce up and down, and I'm all over the place.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM
gokemidoro

yeah you were right these plugs did make a bit of a difference, nothing drastic, but its noticeable. i read on another site that gearbox bearings will make a noticeable difference in the speed to as everything will be turning alot smoother. so that is my next step, however with my next check ill have a bit of extra money to spend, so i might go with a better esc and motor. id like to see how much i can get out of it with a brushed setup before transitioning to brushless. are these typically kind of noisy when they run? like a whining sound almost
Save your $$ for other performance parts. Seriously. Unless you put something like a 17.5T BL system in it (check out the LRP Spin Super - great system at a great price! I have a couple in my drifters), anything else will be a disappointment. The faster the system, the more the faults of the M05 design show themselves. The worst aspect is understeer. The faster the M05 goes, the worse the understeer. There's no way to tune it out, and higher speeds just exacerbate it. 17.5T is the fastest BL motor I would consider for the M05. As far as brushed, stick with 27T. I wouldn't say that if I didn't think it would help. I've already done 27T brushed, 17T brushed, 15T brushed, 12T brushed, 17.5T BL, 21.5T BL, 15T BL, and 10T BL, and of them all, 27T brushed and 17.5T BL are the only systems that actually work in an M05 without introducing weird characteristics. The higher rated systems can also strip the internal gears. The 10T BL went ballistic fast, but as soon as I braked, there went the gears! No, the M05 is really meant for tight track conditions, so speed has never been a concern. The turning ability of the M05 is what everyone has concentrated on, since it IS a tight track chassis, and to be quite honest, if you try tight turning with it, you will be at the worktable trying to eke out every extra inch of turning capability in the M05! Heheh! That's where the M05 really shines! If you "restrict" your buddies to a tight layout, that will, in many cases, "even the odds," even if their cars are faster! EDIT: Yes, M05's are a bit noisy. Can't really do anything about that. It's the monococque chassis. Sound just reverberates all through the empty spaces inside the two chassis halves.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM
diabolic-mind

ok, i figured that had something to do with the noise it makes, it doesnt really bother me. and im not looking to make it super fast, just a bit more than it has right now. when i had it out earlier i was trying to familiarize myself with the tight cornering it can do, and man does it shine in that department. i even had a neighborhood kid come ond and start talking to me about it, he even said "man that thing really takes corners quick" lol. im very happy with it, and seeing that i traded my losi micro truggy for it, i think it was a good pay off. the truggy was fun, but i wanted something a bit larger that could handle the rough roads around where i live.

oh, so i am running what i am guessing is the stock electronics, its a tactic radio and reciever, i think the radio is a tactic tx200 off the top of my head, dont remember the reciever model off hand, the esc is a tamiya reciever, has the servo wire that goes to the reiceiver and a two wire power wire that also goes to the reciever, anyway, the question im getting too is this, i notice about 10 15 minutes into driving ill go to throttle it up hard and it jerks forward then loses power briefly, then resumes driving if i throttle up slowly, is this a low voltage cut off? or a problem with the esc? my guess is just a low voltage cut off, but not sure if it is equiped with one
Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM
gokemidoro

Yah, that's Tamiya's TEU101BK ESC. It's just one step above the old Rheostat type they used to have. It really depends on how old the M05 is, but the TEU101BK isn't nearly the best out there. Almost any current brushed ESC will work better. You might check TQRC's ESC's. Either Associated or LRP make an inexpensive one that TQRC sells, that will work. And no, the TEU101BK doesn't have a cutoff (it was created well before LiPos were even around), so it's not that, that's causing the glitch. Most likely it's the new plug.......The Dean's is supplying more than the TEU101BK was designed for, and the "protection circuit" is kicking in. I'd consider replacing the stock ESC. Sorry, but it never occurred to me.....That's happened to me before, too. As far as the search for speed goes, try concentrating on how it's delivered, in conjunction with chassis set-up, rather than top speed. A well-set-up M05 "seems" fast, when it is properly set-up for what it's meant for, and none of the properly set-up M05's I've seen go faster than 20 MPH. My own M05's won't go faster than that.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 AM
diabolic-mind

ok, now when i get a new esc, will the reciever be able to be powered using the new esc's 3 wire servo type connector, or does this reciever require a seperate power source to power it, i plan to upgrade the radio gear as well, just limited to my budget for the time being on what i can get and use at any one time.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM
gokemidoro

Most modern receivers are powered by the one ESC wire. The TEU101BK used two because it has two separate systems inside the case, which have been integrated into one in modern ESC's. The Tactic is fairly new, for a simple transmitter, so it's O.K. for now, and any modern ESC will plug right into the Tactic's receiver. Thought I'd mention this, because it makes a difference, and you can get it as you can afford, but getting a faster servo will also help the M05's turning speeds. Right now, I'm all-in for the Spektrum S6070 servo. It's lo-pro (low profile), low weight, and fast, at .09 transit speed. It costs about $60, which is very reasonable for a metal gear servo that fast. I stuck that servo in my drifters, and it made a HUGE difference! As you might imagine, I'm also a Spektrum fan......All my TX/RX are Spektrum. My 1/10th use a DX3R Pro, but my minis are all run using a DX3C, which has turned out to be a great choice! The DX3C is about $130, and is almost as fully adjustable as the DX3R Pro! I would recommend that TX/RX when you get around to shopping for a new transmitter. For now, though.....I recommend ESC, those aluminum upper reinforcement parts for the steering bellcranks, TA03 ball diff and tires/wheels. Those will make the greatest improvement for the least amount of $$.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM
diabolic-mind

yeah i actually was noticing last night that the servo was a bit sluggish, not sure if a stone got wedged in the steering somewhere but a couple times the wheels got stuck full left. i also notice that if i crank the steering fully in one direction or another at speed that the car will slow down a bit and sounds kind of crackly. is this something to with what i read about adding a rubber spacer to the outdrives?

im talking with the people i got the car from, they have TONS of rc's, the guys wife said she will look for esc's, motors, radios, and receivers for me that they are willing to part with. i def want something waterproof, as i do plan to drive it in a light rain. im thinking of maybe going with the traxxas xl5 esc i believe it is. ive heard that it is a good esc, what do you think?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 AM
diabolic-mind

just checked my esc, its the TEU104BK, is there much difference between this one and the TEU101bk?

EDIT: just looked online, and this esc does have a low voltage cut off, so that is probably what im experiencing with the cutting out. glad to know that now and not that something else is wrong, phew

Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
gokemidoro

That "crackling" is from the slot in the axle outdrive cup rubbing past the dogbone shaft. The only way to remove that is get universals. You'll get marginally better steering with universals, too. Mine make that noise, and it's annoying, but won't do any harm. On the Traxxas XL-5.....it won't fit in the slot on the chassis for the ESC. Well, it will......if you use the horizontal plate. I just servo-tape the ESC to the vertical surface of the left chassis plate, and the XL-5 is too large for that. Other than that, the XL-5 is a great, simple addition. Programming is easy, and it is more than smooth enough. If they can part with it, take it! The only part that will be a concern is, you'll have to use bullet plugs between the motor and ESC again (the XL-5's power wires aren't long enough). Use the brass type, not those pot-metal ones you just took off. Your LHS should also stock those. The brass ones don't restrict power, so you'll be good using those.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM
gokemidoro

just checked my esc, its the TEU104BK, is there much difference between this one and the TEU101bk?

EDIT: just looked online, and this esc does have a low voltage cut off, so that is probably what im experiencing with the cutting out. glad to know that now and not that something else is wrong, phew

O.K., the 104....Better, but not by much. It's better to replace it. That glitch won't ever go away, so the best thing is to just toss it.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
diabolic-mind

ok, ill probably save it and use it in another project down the road. i was just looking at the xl5 online, and it says it cant use larger than a 15t 540 size motor, with motors is larger considered something with a lower number? or a higher number? i ask because you suggested using a 27t motor, so i want to make sure the xl5 will work with that.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
gokemidoro

ok, ill probably save it and use it in another project down the road. i was just looking at the xl5 online, and it says it cant use larger than a 15t 540 size motor, with motors is larger considered something with a lower number? or a higher number? i ask because you suggested using a 27t motor, so i want to make sure the xl5 will work with that.
It means the XL-5 can use motors as "low" as 15T, so anything with a higher number will work just fine. The stock Johnson/Mabuchi silver can your M05 came with (I assume) will be fine with the XL-5, since it's a 27T. Anything lower turn-wise, than 15T will introduce more heat (Traxxas brushed esc's are pretty tough, internally, and can take more current, to a point), and eventually burn it out, but you can run a 12T with the XL-5 for a short time, if it's not asked to do full-power runs all the time (I did it, and my XL-5 is still alive! ).
Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 AM
gokemidoro

Oh, BTW, have you adjusted some toe-out to the front wheels, or has it already been done? If not, try adjusting the steering links to get about 3 degrees toe-out. This will increase the Ackerman and help the M05's turning capabilities. The "crackling" will increase some, but won't hurt anything. You can adjust it out some, with the steering dual-rate on the transmitter (I think the Tactic has this feature - not sure). Give it a try, if there's not much toe-out. You'll see a marked improvement in how tight it can turn!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM
diabolic-mind

the toe angle right now is in, and alot from my guess, the front edge of the tires is drastically pointing towards each other
Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
gokemidoro

Yah, that's a bad sign.....Try to adjust it outward, so it looks like this from the top, with the upper part being the front of the car: \ - / Not too much, but have the forward edge of the tires pointing outward. Then drive it, and you'll probably have to adjust the steering trim again, but your steering will become a bit more responsive! You'll probably have to adjust the steering dual rate, if the Tactic has that. If not, just adjust the wheels in a bit more, until the "crackling" is lessened, if it's really bad. M05's are normally adjusted this way, to reduce the understeer they all have.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 AM
diabolic-mind

yeah it does have some understeer at higher speeds, at about half throttle and under though it drives like its on rails, ill have to adjust that out tonight after work and give it a try, thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM
gokemidoro

No prob! Now you've got me fishing out my S-Spec, to think of a new way to mod it up! Now it's a conundrum,! I have a 1/10th Tamiya TA05 VDF drifter (that was thoroughly cannibalized two years ago) to complete this next month, and that (I found out what it's called!) XEvo Chariot chassis for the M05 (the one that got damaged)!Decisions....decisions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.