Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Breaking in a nitro question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Breaking in a nitro question

I tried that. It's really tight.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Sigma.40

IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is quite possibly on my top 2 greatest feelings of my life. Right up there with my daughter being born. I read elsewhere that I had to push down with the glow ignitor not the back of the car. The second I did this it fired right up.  Now that I ran a full tank of fuel, what should I do with it maintenencewise. Do I clean it? There is little fuel droplets in the tank can I leave those in there? Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM
cooldriver385

Did you finish the break-in procedure? And wow, your first nitro and you happen to buy one of the most expensive ones available.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

Did you finish the break-in procedure? And wow, your first nitro and you happen to buy one of the most expensive ones available.
No I have not finished the break-in procedure, but I meant more of a should I clean it or leave it until I run the second tank tomorrow? I saw an ad for the 8ight the very first day I started in R/C and I've wanted one very badly since.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need not do any maintenance yet. Continue with breaking it in.

I clean and re-lube my air filters once every five tanks, or when they become clogged. A breakin tank is not going to clog a filter so you'll be fine till you're done with breakin and ready to tune it. As for the fuel droplets..don't sweat it. You'll never get 'em out anyways. I've got half a tank in my TC3 right now, been that way for three or four days. I'll burn that off either tomorrow or friday so I'm not gonna bother draining it. I do recommend you empty the tank if you aren't going to run it for more than a week, though, because the fuel will pull water out of the air. You can do that by simply running the car until it's out of fuel(Best to keep an eye on the level and make sure it's idling when it runs out just for longevity's sake), or you can put the carb line into your fuel squeezy bottle and blow into the pressure line until it stops flowing fuel.

Oh, and if you think this is one of your greatest moments, then just wait till you have it tuned and decide to jam the throttle all the way open with the wheels cranked all the way to one side.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Sigma.40

I am wondering if I broke something. Before I started it if I turned one wheel all 4 wheels spun. Now if I turn one wheel only the opposite wheel spins. I didn't drive it and I never hit the throttle. Am I just reading too much into this?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM

That is normal. Your car has fluid filled gear diffs, as do 99% of them, and I imagine during shipping the fluid in them settled. I'm sure when you started the engine they started spinning pretty quickly, which would redistribute this fluid and loosen them up a tad.

In short: It's nothing to worry about.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Sigma.40

So all 4 wheels not spinning when I turn 1 is ok? I am definetly not doubting your knowledge on this, but one minute all four wheels spin when I hand turn one and then the next minute they don't seems pretty drastic.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Sigma.40

Can I go start it for another run again or should I wait 'til tomorrow?</p>
Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

So all 4 wheels not spinning when I turn 1 is ok? I am definetly not doubting your knowledge on this, but one minute all four wheels spin when I hand turn one and then the next minute they don't seems pretty drastic.
Yeah, it's fine. The whole chassis is going to break in while the engine does, so things like that are a bit normal for a bit. The brakes will act funny for a few tanks as well.

Can I go start it for another run again or should I wait 'til tomorrow?
That's entirely up to you. As long as you can still get the temps up to the right range and you feel safe driving it around you can do it any time of day, any time of year. I usually decide based on whether or not I can see the car and what it's barreling towards.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: 378

That's entirely up to you. As long as you can still get the temps up to the right range and you feel safe driving it around you can do it any time of day, any time of year. I usually decide based on whether or not I can see the car and what it's barreling towards.
Ha, that's funny, I meant do I have to wait at all between break-in tanks? I guess my first question did sound kinda stupid .
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a few where the pinch was that tight on my aircraft motors. I simply warmed up the cylinder with a heat gun to about 170 or so. that will expand the liner and let you get it started. dont run it stupid sloppy rich either, it will cool the clyinder too much, contract, and possibly break a rod from the pinch getting to tight too fast again.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Ha, that's funny, I meant do I have to wait at all between break-in tanks? I guess my first question did sound kinda stupid
Ahh. Well in that case you need only let the engine cool back down. Once it's cooled off, fire it back up and do the next tank.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Sigma.40

Ok, I am a worryer, but this will be my last post about the 4wd unless it is actually broken. So if I go out and turn it on and lightly pull the throttle, all 4 wheels will spin?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM

They should. Your car has three differentials, so when everything is broken in and the engine is tuned for performance, if you do a dead stop WOT blast, you will likely spin the front wheels instead of wheely. That, too, is normal.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Sigma.40

Ok, I ran it again. I flooded the engine once, but then I got it to start. The first time it was running at 230-245 f, but the second time it ran at 175f. I ended up putting my coat sleeve over the head to get it up to 220f. (Its about 36f degrees out now which is 15 degrees colder than earlier).

OK 378, You were completely right. I tapped the throttle a little and all four wheels spun. I am sorry I doubted you, my friend. You don't think I hurt it by tapping the throttle a little ( less than 1/8 throttle twice)?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Ok, I ran it again. I flooded the engine once, but then I got it to start. The first time it was running at 230-245 f, but the second time it ran at 175f. I ended up putting my coat sleeve over the head to get it up to 220f. (Its about 36f degrees out now which is 15 degrees colder than earlier).
A little warm but you didn't hurt it. Covering a few fins is a good way to ensure they warm up when it's cold outside, I suggest cutting a chunk of sock so you can drive it around at partial throttle while covering a few fins if need be. Using your coat sleeve while driving the car will prove difficult, but I have a feeling you won't even need the covering if you're putting around the yard.

Perhaps fitting the shell will cover enough fins?

OK 378, You were completely right. I tapped the throttle a little and all four wheels spun. I am sorry I doubted you, my friend. You don't think I hurt it by tapping the throttle a little ( less than 1/8 throttle twice)?
Nah. You should be bobbling around in the yard with it anyways, up to but no more than 1/4 throttle. Get the rest of the car broken in while the engine breaks in. I can understand if you're leaving it on the box due to snow though, but trust me, putting a light load on the engine is a good way to get the temps up and keep them up. Do be careful with your throttle though, by the time you hit tanks four and five the engine's power will start to come in even with it running rich as hell.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Sigma.40

I owe you one, 378. If you're ever in northern Michigan, let me know. I'll buy you a beer.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Haha, I think I'd rather split a quart of glow instead. I'm sure you'd have a blast with my TC3.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Sigma.40

Hold on, I'm googling the TC3. And I'll go half on the glow
Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Sigma.40

That thing looks awesome. What engine is on it?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Sigma.40

I live in an apartment building with a HUGE usually empty parking lot right out front. Something like that would be a lot of fun.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM

I'm running an OS .18 CV-RX. The car is nearly uncontrollable if you go over half throttle, and even then it will gladly hit second gear and top out the rev band. While wobbling all over the place from the power. Part of the waywardness is likely the tires I fitted and the lift. I'm running Tamiya's 1.9" rally block tires and I have it about half an inch off the ground. I did so because I don't have much smooth pavement to drive on but plenty of dirt.

Check 'em out here.

When I hit the dirt/snow/etc it's way more controllable but the engine still slings it around like a ragdoll if I'm not careful.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Sigma.40

Is that thing 4wd? I didn't see on the associatedwebsite.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Yup. 4WD, no center diff, two speed gearbox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.