Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lipo fire...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lipo fire...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lipo fire...

ORIGINAL: ditchit

What's more interesting is that the lipo dropped out of your foamie because you were careless enough not to secure it. If that hit someone....game over mate.
How do you know he was careless? I had the same thing happen with a 6S pack and a Eurofighter. I triple checked the velcro strap, but it still came loose during a tumble. S/// happens as they say.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 AM
Free Bird

He said it fell out of the plane while it was flying, hit the pavement, rolled into the grass, and vented. Or did I get that wrong? I missed the bit which inferred it could be faulty.

And yes, I've had accidents. Too many to count.
To me, this says a lot about your attitude towards safety. If you have had too many accidents to count, perhaps you should try a hobby that would have less potential of injuring somebody when you do have one of your accidents. Remember, safe flying is no accident!

FB
Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

We watched as the -16 floated and somersaulted it's self back to earth, and funny as it might be, it landed on it's wheels, completely unscathed and I flew it again a few minutes later.
Beave

Now that's entertainment! Probably a better "landing" than if you had done it yourself.

The only thing in recent memory that tops this was when a Lipo cooked off in a foamy during a flight. At first we thought the guy had a smoke system (which I guess technically, he did), but of course, it ended badly.....but with entertainment value. Hey, it's just a foamy.

Please save some of these stunts for KY Jets where we can all enjoy it!

Craig
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

One of the batteries (the one that wouldn't take a charge at all) decided to go up on it's own sitting on an aluminum transmitter box one day in my shop. I was very lucky as I wasn't in the shop at the time, the aluminum box kept it off of everything else and it was far enough from the wall that nothing else ignited.
I too store my LiPo's in a Tx box perhaps I ought to take my Tx's out LOL.

Mike
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 AM
3dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate electric foamys ......................
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 AM
thumbnstick
My Feedback: (169)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Beve, got your point. I visited a guys shop that had big potential for something bad happening last weekend. Great guy, great modeler, and great family man, but Lipo's all over the place in a small basement. We politely explained to him the potential for a disaster in his home. Thats all it took. He understood and took them all out of the basement right then. That is the point you are trying to make here, and thank you for that. You can be looking at what appears to be a normal stable battery one minute and "poof" the next. We have to be careful with all batteries. They all have energy and energy has associated risk. If even one guy reads this and changes his outlook on battery safety then this is a good post. Thanks B.
Oh, I talked to Lewis last night and the fireworks show is on! We talked about some ideas to make it even better this year.
PS....Let me know the exact store you shop at down there.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

I fell out of bed one time and vented all over myself !!!!![X(][X(]... It was tile floor !!!!!

Danno
HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yeah It's good to get a reminder about Li-po safety every once in a while. I have been flying with Li-po's (YES, especially the Zippy's of late with great success) for so long i can't even remember and never had a drama.

But had my first li-po fire in the boot of the car on the way back home from the field a few weeks ago. Luckily I had the aircon on and it was re-circ'ing the air, so we smelt the plastic burning fairly early on in the piece, pulled over and knew exactly what i was about to throw out of the boot!![X(] I considered myself real lucky that day.

Thanks

dave
Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Jack,

Back when Li-Ions were first coming out, a friend has his house burn down because he had a name brand pack catch on fire in his plane while charging and he was not attending to it. He was not some back woods idiot either, but a Masters Pattern National competitor. Back then the instructions were "just plug it in and forget about it".

The company selling the batteries got sued and went out of business.

I felt that this would be a great example, for safety's sake...to remind everyone how dangerous Lipo's can be if they malfunction.

Craig...I think I will call Details for Scale today and see if I can get a harness and parachute rig I can hook to my battery so at Kentucky I can repeat the flight...over and over...except this time the battery gently floats down to earth like an Apollo capsule.

Yeah...that's the ticket!

Beave

PS. OK...I'm just kidding about calling Details!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack,

Back when Li-Ions were first coming out, a friend has his house burn down because he had a name brand pack catch on fire in his plane while charging and he was not attending to it. He was not some back woods idiot either, but a Masters Pattern National competitor. Back then the instructions were ''just plug it in and forget about it''.

Beave
First I have heard of a Li-ion going up, I charge my A123's at 5amps and never had any problems in five years.

Mike
Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

What helmet? I didn't see any helmet! Did I miss something?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM
bevar

Duralites, back in 2000.

The Duralites now being sold are different batteries, different company, different owner ETC.

The original owner and company are long gone...

Beave

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Jack,

Back when Li-Ions were first coming out, a friend has his house burn down because he had a name brand pack catch on fire in his plane while charging and he was not attending to it. He was not some back woods idiot either, but a Masters Pattern National competitor. Back then the instructions were ''just plug it in and forget about it''.

Beave
First I have heard of a Li-ion going up, I charge my A123's at 5amps and never had any problems in five years.

Mike
Old 03-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Couch Potato

I think I will get a metal ammo box and store all my LiPo's in the garden shed.......
....with all the kero, turbine oil, petrol, nitro fuel, ceramic cloth, weed-killer, fertilizer, rattle cans
Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: Couch Potato

I think I will get a metal ammo box and store all my LiPo's in the garden shed.......
....with all the kero, turbine oil, petrol, nitro fuel, ceramic cloth, weed-killer, fertilizer, rattle cans
Let's all stand back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13606.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	1579579  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 AM
bevar

Is that a pic of Eric at Kentucky after "Chili Night" or Rex at Waycross the day after?????

[X(]

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Let's all stand back
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: ticketec

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

I fell out of bed one time and vented all over myself !!!!![X(][X(]... It was tile floor !!!!!

Danno
HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yeah It's good to get a reminder about Li-po safety every once in a while. I have been flying with Li-po's (YES, especially the Zippy's of late with great success) for so long i can't even remember and never had a drama.

But had my first li-po fire in the boot of the car on the way back home from the field a few weeks ago. Luckily I had the aircon on and it was re-circ'ing the air, so we smelt the plastic burning fairly early on in the piece, pulled over and knew exactly what i was about to throw out of the boot!![X(] I considered myself real lucky that day.

Thanks

dave
Were you charging?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 AM
bevar

Or discharging?????

Eeeeeeeeeew!!!!!

ORIGINAL: dubd

quote]ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Danno
Were you charging?
[/quote]
Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been flying all electric planes for many years now and have stacks of lipos, many are big 6s 6500 packs.
Lipos do have a risk, but if you know how to handle them they are very safe.

Few rules I live by:

1. Never charge in the plane, house, or shop... Always charge outside. I charge outside in lipo sacks.

2. Always use a balancer that is connected to the charger, not a free standing balancer.... balancers connected to the charger or built in will shut it down if a problem comes up.

3. Never store your packs fully charged, for one it's bad for them and the more energy the more risk of fire, always store at 3.85 volts per cell. The longest I let them sit fully charged is over night.
This reduces the chance of fire and is better for the packs and is also the reason they are sent to you in this state

4. If pack is getting puffy, becomes damaged in a crash, has a cell that is giving you problems.... fully discharge it outside well away from everything with a auto taillight hooked to it and toss it. Wait until the light bulb is completely out, then it is safe for the trash can.

5. I store my packs wrapped in lipo sacks, placed in ammo cans in my shop away from the walls... drill large holes in the lid of the ammo can or you are making a bomb. Lipos don't need oxygen to make a fire, so if one ignites the preasure will explode the ammo can.

6. If you do have a fire stay away from the smoke until it has all cleared...it is very toxic and can lead to death.

7. This is my own rule, not for everyone but I think it's important.... only by high quality lipos, there is to much risk to buy cheaply made packs.

I have thousands of eletric flights, and just love flying electric... if handled properly lipos can be very safe, but like anything have some risk.
must have much respect for them, I have seen a few lipo fires with large packs at the field and it's amazing the power they have... even small packs can do a lot of damage.
It is extremely rare and almost unheard of for a lipo to ignite when just sitting, unless it has been damaged, dropped, charged wrong, punctured...something

hope that helps guys that aren't up on lipo safety
Ron
Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
osxpro
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ditchit

What's more interesting is that the lipo dropped out of your foamie because you were careless enough not to secure it. If that hit someone....game over mate.
It's very unfortunate that some people have to be negative, assuming, and downright ugly. This is a hobby that promotes fellowship, not divisiveness.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:23 PM
flyfanatic14
My Feedback: (1)

Okay. So I'm that one guy who has learned something from this. Maybe I'll stick to NI-CAD? I am such a noob that I don't know if that is even feasable. Because of ampacity or weight does one<u>need </u>to use LI-PO's? Or would another battery chemistry be better for a novice?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

NI-Cads will ignite also, a friend of mine had his garage burn down when he was charging his quicky 500 radio batteries, he lost his jet also due to the fire

Check out this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10199326