Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Jump angle for ultimate jump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Hack u 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jump angle for ultimate jump?

Alright boys...we are bonded together by hobby not brand...I didnt want to name drop so we could all get along...Don't bash each others comments everyone is just trying to help...I have liked all your comments...except the negative ones. 378 I like the protection idea of roll cage..I will look at doing this with what ever we jump.
1 vote tmaxx 1 vote buggy (nitro I hope).. Again this is our jump! The Tmaxx just scares me because it would be the biggest flying missle of all cars and I hope the angle is right or I pay for damages to structure. Also I think now we want to avoid landing on cement or concrete, It would seem if we want to pull this off dirt would be more forgiving or grass/field. Just for thought my uncle owns 4 semi's with Asphalt dump beds...maybe these can be jumped??? But big big air!!!!! I was also looking at jumping over small ponds...rivers...bridges/overpasses. Bring on some ideas!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 AM
Hack u 2

Lets get these cars picked so I can weigh, and radar the speed. So the math guys can tell us our limits and abilities..this will get the ball turning!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM
sloppyG

have you considered jumping over the homeless like a young Eric Cartman did one time?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you need to determine your max vehicle speed before anything else. And then take a little off as it will slow down a bit from the impact with the ramp.

Here's a calculator to determine max height from launch velocity (don't forget to choose your units, mph, degrees; the answer will be displayed in meters, so click feet after the calculation)

http://eculator.com/formula/calculat...ojectile&id=27

Now to make sure it will land in the back yard, you can use this distance calculator to find the range:

http://eculator.com/formula/calculat...ojectile&id=29

Keep in mind none of this allows for air-resistance, but it will give you some guidelines. If the calculations shows it won't work, then it won't. If the calculations show it will work, it might.

Using my high school physics, I came up with 15 ft for a 30 mph launch off a 45 degree ramp and 27 feet for a 40 mph launch off a 45 degree ramp. The first link I posted matches this. However the first on-line calculator I found, did not. Too bad as it did everything at once. But never the less, the first link I provided is nice as it allows for the height of the ramp.

Now, unless what you want to jump over what looks like an Indian Teepee, you may hit the edge of the roof on the way up. Draw yourself a little sketch of the building, with roof max height, roof edge height and distance of ramp to building. Now make up a little table and work out the vertical and horizontal postions at various time intervals from the calculators on this home page:

http://eculator.com/formula/viewCategory.do?id=29

Using the X,Y values in your table, plot the trajectory on your little sketch and see how much clearance you have. Make usre you have lots, as things never go as well as expected.

A couple of interesting points:

1/ Max distance always occurs with a ramp set at 45 degrees. Allowing for air resistance, it might be a bit less.

2/ Max height would be with a 90 degree ramp.....one of those ones where the transition is curved with the last bit of ramp pointing straight up. So your buggy will go straight up, and then straight back down. Max height, zero distance.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Ttowntoolman

I have made many ramps and jumped really far but never really over anything. I do agree though that 45 degree angle on the ramp is about where you need to be for max height and distance. The problem being the transition from flat to the 45 degree angle will cause in most instances the buggy to bottom out on the ramp scrubbing your speed and momentum. Ground clearance is very important. In my case I usually play with 10th scale stuff I usually go for distance jumps with my associated T3. I put moabs all the way around to increase ground clearance to the point of no chassis slap all the way around. Novak 5.5 running on 2s lipo overgeared to run about 60mph plus or minus, nice smoothe run up to the ramp. I noticed also that you need to be going really fast but not full throttle until you hit the ramp so you still can contol the car in the air. If she is totally tapped out when you hit the ramp you cannot excellerate in the air to bring the nose up if needed. If your car is slightly unsettled when it hits the ramp it will contiue to do whatever it was trying to do going up the ramp. Slight turns may cause a barrel roll effect that is not controlable.

I was able to get a fairly consistant 60 foot distance landing on the wheels and drive away, but more than 60 things start to get sketchy. I have landed a 70 footer but is seemed more luck than anything as I could not do it consistantly. Seems like when I try to exceed 60 feet the car just starts to do weird shizz like it was just tossed into the wind.

My landing area is not flat, I usually set up to land on the grass on a hill that is falling away from me. Good luck with your project, sounds like fun.

P.S. Bad landings from such hieghts and distances are just that, BAD. I have broken a battery strap in half, pulled the screw out of the chassis for the battery strap, and have ejected my lipo out on the lawn more than once.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: Hack u 2

Lets get these cars picked so I can weigh, and radar the speed. So the math guys can tell us our limits and abilities..this will get the ball turning!
<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">It&rsquo;s a no brainer for me to pick which car/truck you choose to jump.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">1/8<sup>th</sup> scale Buggys are lighter/quicker, fly and handle better than most any 1/8<sup>th</sup> &ndash; 10<sup>th</sup> scale MT. They are easier to attain higher speeds from compared to a MT.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Its pretty easy to get a nitro buggy past the 50mph mark, it cost a lot more to push an average nitro MT past it. If you&rsquo;re even thinking of jumping something the size &amp; height of a medium sized house you will want all the speed and handling you can get.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Argess brings up the point of wind resistance. I can tell you from experience that you can easily loose 10 to 15 feet from the length of a long high jump by just getting the front and rear of the truck vertical while in the air.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">I&rsquo;m a big TMaxx fan (as most people know) and can honestly tell you in stock or slightly modified form it just simply will not take the abuse of a jump the size your thinking about.</div>
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 AM
tommygun32

You'll need a good engine....the other problem with a good .21 or .28 engine is that you don't really want to run it wide open for more than 4, max 5 seconds at a time. If you are commited to destroying your vehicle (and the engine) then go for it. You will need to have a very long run up to the ramp.

If you look at some of the pro 1:8 tracks, you will see some very shallow looking jumps that really give more height and distance than I would have thought was possible.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM
REVOROCKSSAVAGESUCKS
My Feedback: (3)

I got a ten-eighty little skateboard ramp and put a bag with baseball equipment under it and got a 105' jump with my traxxas slash 4x4.<div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jI04Cutl4 &lt;there is the video. sorry about the poor quality!</div>
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Just build a giant ramp with a pretty good lookin angle and strap 10 remote-fired ESTES rockets onto whatever you use. Itll work. Kinda lol