Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

How to calculate the Gear Ratio, Final Drive Ratio and Rollout

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

How to calculate the Gear Ratio, Final Drive Ratio and Rollout

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to calculate the Gear Ratio, Final Drive Ratio and Rollout

I'm going to try and pick the brains of the racers in Fitchburg before I show up there this summer. I want to start off with what I've got, but if they're all running something that seems to make more sense then I'll change up my gearing. I'm still adding spurs and pinions to both TA05s seperately. I can go 100/30 in the older car but not the same in the new one; it won't fit. They're two different gear ratios anyway, so it's even better to keep their gears seperate.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM
jrowles91

No I must have done something wrong. I gps'd the car earlier and did 24.5mph. I've used that estimator for my trucks and it's almost right on most of the time. I'll try getting my gearing again or something.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM
bsodmike

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en
<div>Rollout:</div><div></div><div>To calculate the rollout of the car&rsquo;s gearing, you will need to measure the tire&rsquo;s diameter in standard inches. Once that&rsquo;s written down, calculate the circumference of the tire by multiplying it by Pi (3.14). One example would be a tire with a 2.44 inch dia. would have a cir. of 2.44 inches.</div><div></div><div>For example, using the numbers we already have:</div><div><span>2.44</span>/ 2.25 = 1.08</div><div>
Just FYI for anyone coming across this, as I just did via Google - 2.44 in * pi = 7.67 inches, so the rollout should be 7.76/2.25 = 3.41
I've marked the mistake in the OP's post in bold above.

Thanks!</div>
Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bsodmike

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en
<div>Rollout:</div><div> </div><div>To calculate the rollout of the car’s gearing, you will need to measure the tire’s diameter in standard inches. Once that’s written down, calculate the circumference of the tire by multiplying it by Pi (3.14). One example would be a tire with a 2.44 inch dia. would have a cir. of 2.44 inches.</div><div> </div><div>For example, using the numbers we already have:</div><div><span>2.44 </span>/ 2.25 = 1.08</div><div>
Just FYI for anyone coming across this, as I just did via Google - 2.44 in * pi = 7.67 inches, so the rollout should be 7.76/2.25 = 3.41
I've marked the mistake in the OP's post in bold above.

Thanks!</div>
Not really worth resurrecting a 2 year old thread to do that. Please check dates before posting in future. Thanks.