Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

massive crashe

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 AM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: massive crashe

The failsafe requires battery power, your problem could have been from a battery wire, battery failure, connection, or the switch. The failsafe is great when there is a radio problem, but it is just additional carnage when the juice goes all at once. I once hit a rock wide open and the carnage was pretty severe. Wish I had taken photos. Glen
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 PM
schleppenbach_chris

thanks! I am using traxxas top fuel 20% nitro one idea i had to cure this issue it to maybe rough up the surface of the starter shaft that inserts into the one way bearing let me know what yall think of this idea
Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: schleppenbach_chris

thanks! I am using traxxas top fuel 20% nitro one idea i had to cure this issue it to maybe rough up the surface of the starter shaft that inserts into the one way bearing let me know what yall think of this idea
I ran into the same problem when I was using traxxas top fuel 20%;from what I know and heard it has too much oil.

http://www.odonnellracing.com/racingfuel/index.html

I switched to odonnell 20% racing fuel and I have not had a problem like that since; you will definitely need to retune your engine if you switch fuels.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
schleppenbach_chris

ok cool yea after i finish off the rest of my traxxas fuel i plan to switch fuels thanks yall for the advice ill be starting the repair process soon seeing as hpi aint gonna fix it i cant even get the dumbasses to answer any of my emails anymore oh well at least this way ill have a few spare parts layin around for the next time something breaks
Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Buy complete parts off ebay. It will probably be cheaper.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
schleppenbach_chris

well so far ive got my total price on parts down quite a bit from what i originally thought it would cost the final price comes to around $150 dollars thru tower hobbies
Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 PM
-SomeGuy-

You should still try ebay, try to find a vendor who has everything you need and get it all in one shot. You might have to contact the seller and tell him what you need so he can keep it aside for you rather than having to be the first to "buy it now". I've done this with plcman1 many times, as soon as he gets a new truck to part he lets me know and we make arrangements.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM
schleppenbach_chris

ok thanks ill see what i can do
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
SavagedXXL

The pics below are results of the last runaway I had. It hit a concrete drain pipe at full speed and nearly destroyed the whole truck. It bent both TVPs very badly, destroyed the body, broke the front bumper, bulkhead, bent 2 suspension pins, the RH upper control off, broke the RH rim, broke the radio box, bent the front driveshaft, broke the mounting nub off the tuned pipe, busted the fuel tank, and destroyed the transmission.. It jammed the internals of the transmission into the rear of the case so far that the gears were rubbing on the brake cam. It hit so hard that it bent one of the aluminum engine supports under the engine plate. I've had a lot of wrecks over the years, but I've had another wreck that bad, It hit the drain pipe dead on. All but one of the bodyclips, and 2 of the body mount clips popped out on impact. We were literally picking up pieces of the truck all over the area where it hit. The pics below are some of the stuff I kept for show n tell. I wish i had a camera phone back then, and had a pic of the truck after it hit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77192.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	1606370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40552.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1606371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57467.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1606372  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:10 PM
schleppenbach_chris

wowwwww that is one hell of a bad crash just hope i never end up with a crash quite that bad the one i had was bad enough already
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Freezetron

Control, control you must learn control!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM
SavagedXXL

Yeah, but that's no fun! -lol
Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
llkoolskillet

Damn!!! those are nasty crashes. I too had a runaway and bent the crap out of my TVPs. Amazingly enough i didnt break anything. Went full speed hit the 8in curb head on flew as high as the street light (so it looked like it did) Landed upside down in the middle of the intersection with cars passing thru. Flipped over went thru the intersection hit another curb, flipped upside down then got stuck in a bush and reved out. After that i went and got new Spektrum radios and havent had an issue.

To piggy back on what Glen said.... yes batteries make a big difference on wether or not your failsafe works. Yesterday i got my X up and running after being stored for a year. I replaced the batteries in the receiver but not in the truck, yes it tried to take off but i stopped it before it could.

EBAY IS YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN BUYING PARTS

Got another X to XL upgrade kit for $22 shipped resale is i believe $60
Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
schleppenbach_chris

yea i hear ya bout the batteries my buddy and i have found that the stock batteries dont last as long as they should we have to charge them way more than what we should have to but at least we havent had any catastophic failures yet thank goodness we cant afford another wreck like i had
Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 PM
schleppenbach_chris

hey freeze was reading thru your build thread for frosbite2 great thread lots of good tips and stuff in there i know its all for your flux but some will definently work for my xl as i begin my rebuild hope your truck is running good yet i also plan to do alot of customizations on my truck also i liked how your build table had pics from the original behind it gives a person a chance to see what was then compared to what is now very nostalgic