Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is the stupidest thing somebody else has done to your jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What is the stupidest thing somebody else has done to your jet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM
tulz161

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is the stupidest thing somebody else has done to your jet?

I had a guy at the local field come up to my large mustang and pinched the wing. Cracking the thin balsa. I asked him why he was touching it and he just continued to touch until i raised my voice. This still makes me angry.

Not sure how some of you guys handle what has happened to your stuff.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

The great American philisopher Ron White once said,"You can't fix stupid"!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: hyperdyne

Sorry to hear that. In my case I was really taken aback that he had the nerve to even do something like this.

Again, there is no cure for dumb...

My Favorite is "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID"

Joe L.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

CRASH IT![X(]

It went like this… I took off, my buddy says it looks good and he wanted to try it.

Sooooo I handed him the transmitter and within ten seconds he says it’s acting funny and then strained it through the woods! [&:]

The airframe was totaled, no engine damage thank god!

A week later I found the problem… the Aileron gimbal had failed on my Futaba 9C, don’t ask how I discovered that one!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupidity should hurt
Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a spectator, but a club member ...
As I was setting up my jet for a high-speed, low pass over the runway (mind you, my jet was less than 20 feet above the ground and speeding through the air @ 130 mph as it was approaching the runway), a club member (who is much larger and taller than I) walks up next to me and stands slightly forward of me so he can get a better look ... meanwhile, he didn't even think or realize he completely blocked my view of the jet for two of the longest seconds in my life !!! Without even seeing my jet, I pulled a little up elevator to make sure I didn't put it in the ground.

What a JERK !!! And I told him so.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just this summer at a scale event, was setting up my CARF hawk on a stand, out of everyones way ( I thought), had the canopy on the ground beside me when a fellow modeler storms up to say hello and crunches it square in the middle. Popped it out good enough to fly, later, setting up on the runway, just about to start the engine and a 300lbs boy, who's standing there oggling it, decides to take a tumble and lands right on it. I find out later he has about 14 brewskies in him. Had enough and left the event without even getting a flight.

Mike
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
gtoro26
My Feedback: (2)

florida jets
me n my bud have elans
we switch planes and on his radio set up he has ailerons and rudder mix
well i didnt fly his but he decided he wanted to fly mine
he gets into my radio and does the same mix but mongol idiot decides tor forget that if you mix left aileron you need right rudder and the opposite right aileron left rudder

he decides not to fly and he told me about switch on and off but i totally forget and leave on
i think im good right

helllllllll nnnnnnnoooooooooooo

i try to do my famous slow roll and guess what i start my right aileron and left rudder and that bird wanted to point straight in the ground and anialation
yep i saved it thank god for my quick reaction

guess what happened when i checked it out on the ground
he mixed both right and left aileron the same on the rudder right aileron right rudder left aileron right rudder pretty genius huh

daaaammmmmiiiiiiitt

Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The stupidest thing? The club secretary trying to ban jets in our club because he can't afford one. - John.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

As a kid back in the '60s, I used to get Model Airplane News. One of the cartoons showed a modeler fueling his CL model. Two ladies were bending over the wing, one had her finger stuck through the covering. They were drawn so the modeler was looking the other way. The caption was: "Why, it's only paper". The look the cartoonist drew on the modeler's face makes me laugh 40 odd years later. Evidently stupid has been around at least as long as models ;-)

sp
Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 AM
guille2006

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

The stupidest thing? The club secretary trying to ban jets in our club because he can't afford one. - John.

Happened simmilar to me... I cannot fly in the local club 'cause his stupid president doesn't allow mode II flying...
-Well my friend; you know I've 20 years flying now
-OK; could be, but what happens if you pass out while you're flying?

No comment...
Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gtoro26

florida jets
me n my bud have elans
we switch planes and on his radio set up he has ailerons and rudder mix
well i didnt fly his but he decided he wanted to fly mine
he gets into my radio and does the same mix but mongol idiot decides tor forget that if you mix left aileron you need right rudder and the opposite right aileron left rudder

he decides not to fly and he told me about switch on and off but i totally forget and leave on
i think im good right

helllllllll nnnnnnnoooooooooooo

i try to do my famous slow roll and guess what i start my right aileron and left rudder and that bird wanted to point straight in the ground and anialation
yep i saved it thank god for my quick reaction

guess what happened when i checked it out on the ground
he mixed both right and left aileron the same on the rudder right aileron right rudder left aileron right rudder pretty genius huh

daaaammmmmiiiiiiitt

I have two rules (1) nobody touch my radio except (Gold finger) # (2) Nobody flys my jet except (Gold finger) lol.

I once ask a jet buddy of mine to help me take my F-18 from the flight line after a successful flight. He was holding the back end of the jet. After he left i notice the left elevator was 90 degree up with power on[X(] I lift the speed brakes and notice the push rod from the servo to the elevator was bend like a (L)[:@] From that day I never look at him as someone I could trust anymore[&o]

Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been very fortunate. The only thing that happened to me was when I was about to fly my Top Flite Staggerwing and one of my flying buds said I will help you. Ok, so after is was started I said lift it from the bottom because it is pretty heavy. So disregarding my statement he trip to pick it up like a high wing trainer, by the front of the wings. He quickly put it down, I saw the fuselage flexing, by the way he was picking it up. He then put one hand under the bottom to support it. He did not do any damage but I could see my plane just breaking...The plane is ok, but it really did scare me!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Not a Jet, but many years ago I had just finished a Fun scale P-51. I left it in the front yard while my whole family went in for dinner. My brother brought his dog and left it outside while we ate. 30 minutes later, after dinner, I walked outside and saw the dog thought it was a monokoted chew toy. I never got to fly that plane![X(]
Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I've had it all happen. , One time back in the fan days I cranked up an o'l Byron f-16. I looked up and saw Tom Cook laughing so hard he was on his hands and Knees. Wondering what happened, I looked back and some clown setup behind me with about 6, 1/2 A gliders.. they were blown all over the place.
My Bad... Once I was doing a High speed pass about a foot high with a GMP Pro chopper. The thing was booking. Someone got out of their car with the transmitter on, tore the chopper all to pieces.
Also back in the day 80's. I had a New Schluter SX-81 and Jeff sands from Colorado came to KC and help set it up. it was flying fantastic. l was hovering it and Greg Sawyer walked up. I ask Him if he wanted to fly it, Sure He said But we need to reverse the throttle, I pull instead of push. Great Kelly said Ill open the back and hit the reverse switch. Sawyer had the transmitter, Kelly reversed the switch which gave the chipper full throttle, the chopper went up about 200 feet. and By than I had the transmitter back, Kelly reversed the throttle back , and the engine died. The copper slammed into the runway within a foot of where it lifter off from. And a bunch of other things, Mostly I did to Myself..
Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Flyerjoe

A number of years ago here in Orlando at RC World I was at one of the Fall Festival the club held. Now these in their heyday well attended by both pilots and spectators. At about midday all the pilots would line up the aircraft on the runway for the spectators to come out and see the planes up close and personal. I was flying a 30% Extra 300 at the time. My very first and most expensive aircraft that took me quite a while to complete and about $3000. While on the runway with all the other pilots, I watched a a very attractive young 25 year old lady with very tight short shorts, plus a tube top start walking towards my side of the lineup. Now I was completely taken by the sight of her and as she got closer she was even more exciting. As you can imagine I was not paying any attention to anything but the sight of her and so were all the other pilots both young and old alike. She stopped to look at the planes next to where my Extra was placed, so I do my best cool, good looking guy routine and step right on the elevator of my Extra over extending the servo. At this point I am still looking at her because with the tube top she had on she was bending at waist and the view was absolutely superb and in almost full view! She looks up at me realizing I had stepped on my plane, she says, "oh my you broke your toy airplane" and just smiles. The best part is she stays bent at the waist for a long time and I just had to smile. I went home after that and never got a flight in.

Nubbs
Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Not a jet thing but where we park we can keep our planes right at the back of our vehicles. I really do not like people laying all over my car and walking around, over and thru my planes setting on the ground. I was telling a flying buddy about how it bothered me and how sooner or later someone would step or trip over a plane and I would have a blow up. Guess what- I look up and he has stepped over my planes to be able to sit on the back of my car!! I just look at him and he looks up and says something I can't hear and moves away from my car.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM
zac137

Sometimes I wonder how the term "common sence" came about...it seems it's not so common.

Edit: spelled sence wrong!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
djyjrlz

i think you mean 'common sense' 
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nubbs

A number of years ago here in Orlando at RC World I was at one of the Fall Festival the club held. Now these in their heyday well attended by both pilots and spectators. At about midday all the pilots would line up the aircraft on the runway for the spectators to come out and see the planes up close and personal. I was flying a 30% Extra 300 at the time. My very first and most expensive aircraft that took me quite a while to complete and about $3000. While on the runway with all the other pilots, I watched a a very attractive young 25 year old lady with very tight short shorts, plus a tube top start walking towards my side of the lineup. Now I was completely taken by the sight of her and as she got closer she was even more exciting. As you can imagine I was not paying any attention to anything but the sight of her and so were all the other pilots both young and old alike. She stopped to look at the planes next to where my Extra was placed, so I do my best cool, good looking guy routine and step right on the elevator of my Extra over extending the servo. At this point I am still looking at her because with the tube top she had on she was bending at waist and the view was absolutely superb and in almost full view! She looks up at me realizing I had stepped on my plane, she says, ''oh my you broke your toy airplane'' and just smiles. The best part is she stays bent at the waist for a long time and I just had to smile. I went home after that and never got a flight in.

Nubbs
Yo Nubbs , perhaps it was the same woman that Enrique encountered ..
Once a girl with a big cleavage bended over my airplane to see some details and did a lot of questions. That ruined my concentration on r/c for the rest of the weekend.
Semper Fi

@ WarBirds over Delaware 2009 there was a Groundhog that took a bite out of one aircraft for sure..check it out ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElbd...layer_embedded
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
GerKonig

Well it you take out all the pain that was self-inflicted, all the non-jets, and the pain inflicted by other pilots, and people that were known or neighbors of the pilots we do not see really a lot jets damaged by spectators, do we? Of course with the exception or two members that had horrible experiences... The cleavage thing is really dangerous, as are extreme mini shorts we have to look in that direction to find the source of real trouble. I volunteer to look out for ya'

Gerry
Old 08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

ORIGINAL: Nubbs

A number of years ago here in Orlando at RC World I was at one of the Fall Festival the club held. Now these in their heyday well attended by both pilots and spectators. At about midday all the pilots would line up the aircraft on the runway for the spectators to come out and see the planes up close and personal. I was flying a 30% Extra 300 at the time. My very first and most expensive aircraft that took me quite a while to complete and about $3000. While on the runway with all the other pilots, I watched a a very attractive young 25 year old lady with very tight short shorts, plus a tube top start walking towards my side of the lineup. Now I was completely taken by the sight of her and as she got closer she was even more exciting. As you can imagine I was not paying any attention to anything but the sight of her and so were all the other pilots both young and old alike. She stopped to look at the planes next to where my Extra was placed, so I do my best cool, good looking guy routine and step right on the elevator of my Extra over extending the servo. At this point I am still looking at her because with the tube top she had on she was bending at waist and the view was absolutely superb and in almost full view! She looks up at me realizing I had stepped on my plane, she says, ''oh my you broke your toy airplane'' and just smiles. The best part is she stays bent at the waist for a long time and I just had to smile. I went home after that and never got a flight in.

Nubbs
Yo Nubbs , perhaps it was the same woman that Enrique encountered ..
Once a girl with a big cleavage bended over my airplane to see some details and did a lot of questions. That ruined my concentration on r/c for the rest of the weekend.
Semper Fi

@ WarBirds over Delaware 2009 there was a Groundhog that took a bite out of one aircraft for sure..check it out ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElbd...layer_embedded

I was there in WOD:-) It was unreal to see the groundhog coming towards the crowd! I swear he seemed to be high on something... It is a widely known fact some people like the smell of nitro in the morning, well, meet "the I like balsa for breakfast" groundhog.

Now, how are they going to protect the jets against this character!

Gerry

Old 08-05-2011, 12:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I was there in WOD:-) It was unreal to see the groundhog coming towards the crowd! I swear he seemed to be high on something... It is a widely known fact some people like the smell of nitro in the morning, well, meet "the I like balsa for breakfast" groundhog.

Gerry
Gerry,
That's my video. If I hadn't been there when I happened I wouldn't have believed it!!!!

it was definitely wild.

Ken
<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I was there in WOD:-) It was unreal to see the groundhog coming towards the crowd! I swear he seemed to be high on something... It is a widely known fact some people like the smell of nitro in the morning, well, meet ''the I like balsa for breakfast'' groundhog.

Gerry
Gerry,
That's my video. If I hadn't been there when I happened I wouldn't have believed it!!!!

it was definitely wild.

Ken
<br type=''_moz'' />

I had my Nikon with a long zoom, and it never crossed my mind to start shooting, a lot of us were just stunned, like in shock. Obviously the ground hog got to a point where he could not take it anymore (this noise is killing me!). Just imagine if there in the woods they have a bear or two and they get as upset as the ground hog was...

The ground hogs must be related to the chihuahuas, they have no idea they are small. A couple of years ago we had a ground hog in the yard, and my wife run out with the broom chasing after him. He got to the corner of the lot, turned around, and run full bore towards my wife. Wife, smart woman, retreated, got out of the way, and attacked the beast from the rear with the broom as he run away. To make a long story short, he never showed up again:-) Actually the one in WOD also never showed again:-) RC and ground hogs do not mix...

Nice video Ken!

Gerry
Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

that is the funniest thing ive seen. I'm still crying from laughing so hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.