Hot burn in

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hot burn in

ORIGINAL: Steve Landron

I'd be curious to see how my RC stuff would work over in Kuwait, 140 plus temp would surely melt my gear, not to mention what the sand would do to the engines!

Take it easy,

Steve

The radio gear and engines work just fine. Of coruse you need to keep a couple cans of compressed air for cleaning out the transmitter if it sits open to the moon dust. Can't keep that stuff out of anything. If left sitting in the sun for any length of time receivers break down from heat. As soon as fuselage interiors go over about 140 crap starts to happen. If the palne is flying it's not a problem because the flow through air handles things, but stagnant on the ground gets bad.

The engines do just great if any type of air filter is used at the carb. No worries there, just don't fly through one of the dust storms and expect to avoid changing the filter afterwards. Point the nose down and go faster when penetrating the leading edge of the dust wall.... As the saying goes, "been there-done that, got the T-shirt".
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Av8tor,

Lipolys and nimh don't like either hoy or cold. A nimh takes a heck of a hit in self discarge when it gets too cold, as does a lipoly. A-123 batts handle a lot more where temp extremes are concerned. If I remember right they are rated to something like -30 to +60C, or more. A lipoly would have rolled over in its grave before reaching either of those values.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

That's for sure! A friend of mine has a travel trailer for his model workshop. Last summer he lost about 500 bucks worth of batteries due to the trailer being closed and not air conditioned for a couple of days....

AV8TOR