Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Trailer Suspension

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Trailer Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Mpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailer Suspension

Did you forget what happened to Firestone and Ford when the tires were ran with low pressure. BOOM CRASH BANG!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

True, just make sure that you don't have a ford trailer and a firestone tire!

ORIGINAL: Mpilot

Did you forget what happened to Firestone and Ford when the tires were ran with low pressure. BOOM CRASH BANG!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

I would weld some brackets and put some super heavy duty shocks in there. I bet your trailer doesn't have any. You might also remove a leaf from your spring packs. Also adding weight if those two things don't help would dampen the ride. Call a shop that fabricates trailers. Bet they would give you some advice.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:08 AM
mikenlapaz

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lighter torsion axles, air shocks, radial tires, and a Co-Pilot to tell you where to go to avoid those bumps and potholes. TOPES.....TOPES....YIKES...OH SH@#! (Topes are major speed bumps furnished by the local government to assure you notice their town. and REMEMBER it in the future....)
Old 03-23-2004, 05:36 PM
springer-RCU

I've had a couple of trailers over the years and the only fix that I've found is ballast. On my trailers, I needed
to put about 600lbs aboard in order to get a soft enough ride for my models. I used sand 'cos it's cheap and easy
to secure to the trailer.

David T
Old 03-24-2004, 09:56 AM
bhole74

Just add a 75% extra, this might weigh it down enough!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:20 PM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

Greg, Having the proper axle is your major problem as "Dadsdesign" mentioned. If you have an axle that is rated heavier than what you need you will have a rough ride.
No matter, make sure you have radial tires...they make a HUGE difference over any bias ply and or bias belted tires than may be on your trailer. Unless you are loading the tires to the extent that you load them on a given automobile you can run them at less than the upper reccomended inflation. Heat is generated by applying load to underinflation. Most likely your load is well under the rating of the tire. You do not have the weight of an SUV bearing down on them. Weigh your trailer and estimate the load then talk to a knowledgable tire salesperson at a tire dealership. When you leave you should be able understand all the tire ratings of a given tire. You may have usable tires now but there may be much better choices for a better ride.
Shock absorbers do not make a vehicle ride "better" ( for the most part ) their primary purpose is to dampen the axle from making repeated oscillations after being flexed. A heavy shock can actually cause a harder ride as it is resists the axle moving even on the first oscillation ( bump ).
Bringing your trailer weight up to the current axle rating is probably only second to lowering the axle rating down to the intended load. Hopefully, for your pocketbook, a set of tires with modest air pressure will make a big difference. I ride nice and fluffy on radials and lightweight leaf springs....Best of luck.