Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Any tips for first start up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Any tips for first start up?

ORIGINAL: 92hatchattack

ORIGINAL: yakfish

yo can do this by removing the glow plug and watching the piston move down in the cylinder. or by removing the exhaust mainfold and watching the piston move down in the cylinder. once you have it at the bottom use a sharpie or some other permament marker to mark on the flywheel where BDC is so you don't have to guess. the closer to BDc the better.
If its hard to see or really tell when the piston has hit the bottom another good way to tell is by insterting something like a tooth pick into the engine. Hold it up straight and turn the motor will you see the tooth pick bottom out and then start to go up and again... right before it starts to go up is BDC. (I found it a little hard to tell by looking in that tiny hole).

This is how we used to find a general BTC for individual cylninders when me and my buddies used to mess around with real cars. lol
I had never though about using a toothpick that way. That would work very well. Thanks for the tiip I will have to try it.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 92hatchattack

I guess i could try heating the head with a blowdryer before the next couple of starts if you guys think that will help.

Its gonna be 42 and windy here today. Ill be wrapping the head in tin foil to keep it warm it looks like.

Here a question. After running a tank full yesterday, Is it safe to start driving it around at say a walking pace now, or should i run a few more tanks at idle still?

After how many tanks of gas do you start going WOT with it?
1st tank: Idle with the wheel off the ground
2nd tank: idle to 1/4 throttle on the ground
3rd tank: same
4th tank: Idle gradually icreasing to 1/2 throttle
5th tank: increasing throttle to more 1/2 throttle
6th tank: faster to 3/4 throttle
7th tank: gradully increse to full throttle
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Ducat1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7 tanks... wow. i usually do 4 first idle second go up to 1/4 third go up to 1/2 and 4th go up to 3/4 throttle,im pretty sure 4-5 tanks is enough.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
92hatchattack

I got her out and running for 2 more tanks today. I did have to get her driving around at a decent pace today though. Letting her sit at idle or driving really slow was not getting my temps up enough on this cold windy day, even with the head wrapper. So i got ger driving around at Id say around 10 mph, just being sure to be smooth on the3 throttle. Seemed to run really well so far except I am making some rookie mistakes. The tank ran out faster than expected and I ran out of gas. OOps. Also, do the glow starter batteries die really fast for you guys? I only used it yesterday and today. But then i was pulling and pulling and she wasnt starting. Couldnt figure it out. Changed the batery and she fired on the first pull... Maybe the battery wasnt as fresh as i thought?</p>
Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Ducat1

if its not getting hot enough id lean the hsn like 1/36 of a turn
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 AM
92hatchattack

Ok cool.  Im going out for tanks 4-5 in a little bit.  Gonna cruise around easy to moderate of 4, and then get on it a bit harder on 5.

I figure if I go out tomorrow for tank 6 it will be time to start getting heavy on her for 6 and 7.   After that I will start to tune for performance.  Sound about right?</p>
Old 12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
92hatchattack

Ok, so I did not have such a great day out with the car today.

First let me say that I often have issues getting it started without loosening the glow plug up a bit. This usually results in a oily gas mess on the top of my head.

WHen i was running it the transmission kept sliping and I thought i was in big trouble. I finally realixed that the stock setting on the reversing lever was WAY off, and the servo was not pushing the lever far enough. Of course when i left the house i decided I would not need the allen keys. Now i know to always bring them with me.

On my 6th tank I finally got her WOT.  At high speeds she would bog down. Im guessing because its running too lean? I find this odd because i have the needle adjusted to factory setting. Most likely it was the dense cold air (37 today) that was calling for more fuel.  It also just didnt sounds very clean at idle. It was like there were two tones.  A higher pitch clean tone and a lower pitch kind of sputering.  Im not sure if this is bad or me just being paranoid or if it was simply the cold playing games with the car.

Lastly I had a couple stalls that I cant figure out. Im pretty sure my idle is set well. Not sure why it was stalling.

It also feels like it takes way to long to stop this car once she is going at high speed.  Should the brakes me able to lock the tires up at high speeds?  It takes a very long time for me to bring it to a stop it seems.

Anything that you guys can tell me to help would be great!

PS, how aften should glow plugs last?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Ducat1

if its sputtering on fuel i think its to rich, the brakes should lock the tires up atleast on my traxxas rc cars they do

is there any blue smoke comming out of the exaust