Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

how to reduce JetA fuel smell from hobby/jet room in the house ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

how to reduce JetA fuel smell from hobby/jet room in the house ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default RE: how to reduce JetA fuel smell from hobby/jet room in the house ?

If I spilled kero in the house the smell would be gone about the same time as my bullet wounds healed. She'd shoot me!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron, I have read many of your posts on here and understand that you're into EDF and respect that but, I can tell you as a turbine fan that most of us have no interest in EDF and you should have respect for that too.

I love that I'm running a "real" jet engine, it looks, sounds and smells like one. I'm serious when I say that if I was ever forced to go EDF through turbine ban or whatever, that I would most certainly go back to props, I'm that disinterested in EDF and I think that goes for many on here.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Oh lighten Mike,
I was playing with the orignal poster, but my answer would rid his house of fuel smell.
It was the digs at E power after that I posted a couple videos of great EDF's flying for... respect? I have respect for everyone, this is a hobby, grown men with toy planes..... don't take it all so serious

If a ban were to come for turbines you would be missing out on a great aspect of the hobby.... that would be your own loss.

Your also very wrong about most turbine pilots not being interested in EDF.... while most of the smack talkers on here might make you think that way. Go to a local jet meet and you will see many owner of turbines have a EDF in there pitts also. Many will fly the EDFs more than there turbines.... Like Bob Violet for instance

Look I'm not here to talk anyone into EDF, you have to do it because you like it. What I don't like about this fourm is the lack of respect EDF does get from many (not all) but many members.
So I like to come in from time to time and share new improvments and products to inform jet pilots about the new exciting stuff out there. You don't like my post, don't read them.

Have fun no matter what you fly!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eat Taco Bell for breakfast, Wendy's chili for lunch and, some cabbage soup for dinner and I get that plane aroma becomes second shelf issues. 
PLEASE DON"T EDIT THIS OUT AGAIN MODERATORS!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for Kero being less smelly that Jet fuel.
If the plane smells that bad you have a leak.
I do not have a garage so everything stays in the house. The only time I get smell in the house is if I forget to plug the vent line and/or forget to close the fuel shutoff valve.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

What gets rid of the smell of a burnt up ESC.

time maybe three weeks
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Ron, I have read many of your posts on here and understand that you're into EDF and respect that but, I can tell you as a turbine fan that most of us have no interest in EDF and you should have respect for that too.

I love that I'm running a ''real'' jet engine, it looks, sounds and smells like one. I'm serious when I say that if I was ever forced to go EDF through turbine ban or whatever, that I would most certainly go back to props, I'm that disinterested in EDF and I think that goes for many on here.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Oh lighten Mike,
I was playing with the orignal poster, but my answer would rid his house of fuel smell.
It was the digs at E power after that I posted a couple videos of great EDF's flying for... respect? I have respect for everyone, this is a hobby, grown men with toy planes..... don't take it all so serious

If a ban were to come for turbines you would be missing out on a great aspect of the hobby.... that would be your own loss.

Your also very wrong about most turbine pilots not being interested in EDF.... while most of the smack talkers on here might make you think that way. Go to a local jet meet and you will see many owner of turbines have a EDF in there pitts also. Many will fly the EDFs more than there turbines.... Like Bob Violet for instance

Look I'm not here to talk anyone into EDF, you have to do it because you like it. What I don't like about this fourm is the lack of respect EDF does get from many (not all) but many members.
So I like to come in from time to time and share new improvments and products to inform jet pilots about the new exciting stuff out there. You don't like my post, don't read them.

Have fun no matter what you fly!
No worries Ron, I'm not offended that you like EDF, and hope you weren't offended by the comment. I do go to the few rallies up in these parts and yes, I do see EDF's popular with some people. Glad you're having fun and you're right, it's all for fun whatever you fly.

Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Kero still smells, but not as bad as Jet-A.

I find it helps to keep a window open in the toy room. Also, try Febreeze, Glade Plug-ins, or Summers Eve to cover-up the odor!

Mostly, I store my jets in an air conditioned storage facility, unless I have to work on them.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Daniel Spurlock
My Feedback: (4)

plug the fuel vent system and install a plug in the tailpipe of the plane or the engine because unburnt fuel is in the engine and chances are that is where the oder is comeing from.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I have been desprately looking for an enclosed trailer for this very reason.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I would say that we're already starting to get to him<div>
</div><div>He posted this today</div><div>
</div><div>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">Eat </span>Taco<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); "> Bell for breakfast, Wendy's chili for lunch and, some cabbage soup for dinner and I get that plane aroma becomes second shelf issues. </span></div><div><span style="background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; ">PLEASE DON"T EDIT THIS OUT AGAIN MODERATORS!</span><span style="background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; "> </span>
</div><div>
</div><div>By all means, let's honor this gentleman's request to not edit out his posts. Like I said before, don't edit them anymore. Simply delete the post and explain to him why. I deleted the post that I quoted here already. I sent him a PM explaining to him that we will honor his request. I told him that all the Moderators will simply delete any post they find with stuff like this in it. I told him if he wants posts to appear in a thread then he will need to learn to follow the rules and post without being combative like this, or being a total tool.</div><div>
</div><div>let's see what he does next.</div><div>
</div><div>anybody want to take bets on how much rope he's gonna need before he hangs himself???   </div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I had a BAD kero spill in my hobby room, the smell went away rapidly. In my experience JetA stinks to high heaven forever and kero stinks a little bit for a short time.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Altered1

My wife swears that cutting a big ol onion in half and leaving in the affected room for a few days will absorb odours....

me - I think getting rid of the cause to start, then something like baking soda to absorb the smell.

good luck with what ever you try
Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 AM
Kometfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My attorney uses cheapest preground coffee he can find to absorb smells in his full scale V35.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Summers Eve ... It covers up lots of smells. If it can cover-up that fishy smell, it can certainly cover-up Jet-A fumes. [8D]