Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Wild Hare Edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Wild Hare Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 06:43 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wild Hare Edge 540

Well Said Mordib!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 07:44 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default New Wild Hare Edge 540

Originally posted by Mordib
With GAS, the WildHare would be lighter wingloading larger surface and ALOT more power to weight ratio...
My point exactly, as I was planning on using a one of my spare ZDZ-40s for the DP Edge.

Guess I'll have to sell it off and pick up a ZDZ-50. Or 60...

Since the mule is now complete, can we expect to see some flight reports here sometime soon?
Old 09-06-2003, 08:20 PM
skerlock

Default Apples and oranges........

All I was addressing was the wingloading..It was your quote...

If your saying that the wildhare is a better airframe for GAS then you are correct ..ITS BUILT FOR THAT.........

The DP edge id built for the larger glows..READ HIS RECOMMENDATIONS....

Next time stay to the subject..Your comparing apples and oranges..

Side note: Does the wildhare have any diheidral in the wing?

Scott
Old 09-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Default Re: Apples and oranges........

skelock, you crack me up...

YOU were the one who thought it would be a good idea to compare apples to oranges by comparing a snot spewing, $20 a gallon guzzlin', underpowered, overgrown glow plane to a perfectly positioned, entry level gas airplane.

The popularity of gas is growing bigtime.... evident in how many people have "pushed the limits" of that little DP by going gas...

All things EVEN... the Wild Hare Edge offers similar if not better wingloading, a bigger airframe, a lower cost AND allows someone whose on a tight budget purchase a used G62 for chump change and have a rockin' combo for ABOUT the cost of a YS-140 DZ (yuk)engine...

The Great Planes Patty Wagstaff 1/4 scale Extra and the Wild Hare RC Edge are the new breed of planes that make the DP Edge & Extra obsolete.

But hey... just drop the DP stuff... this is a thread about Wild Hare

Originally posted by skerlock
All I was addressing was the wingloading..It was your quote...

If your saying that the wildhare is a better airframe for GAS then you are correct ..ITS BUILT FOR THAT.........

The DP edge id built for the larger glows..READ HIS RECOMMENDATIONS....

Next time stay to the subject..Your comparing apples and oranges..

Side note: Does the wildhare have any diheidral in the wing?

Scott
Old 09-07-2003, 12:25 AM
visioneer_one

Default w00t!

Just got back word from Tom - they should be shipping in mid-November. He also mentioned that they will have a few all-white ones in the first batch.
I'm on the list for one of those.

Got my coveringscheme all picked out already...

Dead-simple to implement. Scale schemes present SO well.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:02 AM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New Wild Hare Edge 540

Is this going to be a good alterative to the Aeroworks 31% and Lanier 30% Edges?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM
visioneer_one

ORIGINAL: Scar
...and somebody tell me if the wings are plugin.
per my conversation with Tom.
[*] Two-piece wing with an aluminum tube.[*] one servo per wing half[*] detachable horizontal stab[*] wings and ailerons come pre-drilled to accept Robart hinge points[*] large hatch extends from behind the canopy to the back of the cowl, and is secured with two bolts through the side of the fuse[*] there will be a few solid-white ARFs. There may possibly some solid-yellow ones.[*] they are expected to begin shipping 15-November.

Just FYI.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Maudib

The Wild Hare Edge is a great alternative to the AW & Lanier Edges...

By being just a tad smaller, they fit well in the 50cc category allowing you to keep it light... As you get bigger, you need bigger engines 60-70cc...

Not only that but the price... WH at $399 vs. AW at $749 vs. Lanier at $599...

Bigger does fly better, BUT you have to take in transport issues as well... The Wild Hare should just fit under my taneau cover in the bed of my shortbed truck... I would have issues with the others...

I look at the WH Edge as the perfect "take to the field whenever I can" plane... Easy to transport, cost effective and quality made. Instead of taking a glow plane I can go a bit bigger, gas and no cleanup at the end of a day... If I only have 2 hours to spend at the field, I sure dont want to spend any of it cleaning up my plane...
Old 09-09-2003, 06:09 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

I like the colors of the Wild Hare more than the other two. They seem alittle drab for $6-700 planes. The advertised wing area of the Aeroworks and the Wild Hare are 1380 and 1390 square inches. And if the AW comes in a pound heavier, it looks like the WH has an advantage.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:49 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I just got an engine for my Edge. I got a great deal on a basically new ZDZ80RV he he. It weighs less than a G62, so weight and balance should not be a problem. I can assure everybody that I do exercise throttle management, so much in fact, that I tend to fly my WH Giles G202/ZDZ80RV to slow. Yehaaa, 50+ lbs of thrust on a 17 lbs plane, now were talking exessive reserves ha ha.
DKjens
Old 09-09-2003, 07:25 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

Jens, I like your way of thinking!!! Nothing gives you confidence like alittle extra thrust.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:46 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Thats hardly excessive, barely enough for a safety margin!
Old 09-28-2003, 06:07 PM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Mordib

Wild Hare Edge
Wingspan: 84"
Length: 76"
Weight: 15-17 lbs. (exactly 17 lbs with G62)
Wing Area: 1390 sq. in.
Wing loading: 25-28 oz per sq. foot
Engine: G62, DA-50, BME 50, Brison 3.2, Moki 2.1 glow

The WildHare with a DA-50 would weigh in at 15.5 lbs with a wingloading of 25.8 oz. per sq. foot.
The specs are all wonderful, But am I the only one that is concerned that the production models will weigh more than the prototype?? Many ARFs suffer from this, as the wood densities VARY greatly. You still get a well built, well engineered, nice looking model, but made from heavy wood, on an airplane this size, it adds up. I sure hope it really will be 15.5 lbs with a light 50cc engine.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Maudib

It may vary a bit, but if it flies great at 17 lbs with a G62...

The if it came in at 16.5 lbs with a DA-50 it would still rock. The other Wild Hare planes seemed to have comeout around the listed weights, so it should still be close to the 15.5 lbs with a DA-50...
Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 PM
BBriBro

It may vary a bit, but if it flies great at 17 lbs with a G62...

The if it came in at 16.5 lbs with a DA-50 it would still rock.
I get your point, but lighter is better. Why is it that the final production models are never lighter than the prototype? I personally feel that 15 lbs is the magic weight for this size airframe, the closer to that the better. I have seen DP extras fly at close to 16 lbs too, yeah they did some stuff well, but certainly not Land !! Has anyone flown a DP extra at 11-12 lbs? I wonder how good they could be? We don't build em to crash, or shouldn't be anyway. I just hope it's close to the advertised specs, and I'll be buying one.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Maudib

I think we get locked into that "Gimme more" or in this case "Gimme Less" conundrum.

Because 17 was obtainable, we wanted 16, then 15, etc...

The Paty Wagstaff doesn't ahve NEAR the wing area and comes in around 16 lbs...

Yet it is VERY popular and has sold by the boatloads, and I've not heard to many people complain about it being too heavy...

This Edge will rock the house at 16-17 lbs, and with some careful building you may very well see 15 lbs...

Use a carbon fiber tailwheel, lithium batteries, a light engine, carbon fiber prop, spinner and landing gear and you may shave almost a lb off the weight...

This IS the first "ultra light wingloading" 50cc plane out there... believe it.

I can't wait! The only problem is that I'll get mine when the snow is just starting to threaten the field...
Old 09-28-2003, 08:43 PM
BBriBro

I think we get locked into that "Gimme more" or in this case "Gimme Less" conundrum.

Because 17 was obtainable, we wanted 16, then 15, etc...
Well, I can see how you would think that, however that is not the case. I would NEVER buy a DP extra and put a G45, or Brison 3.2 or the like on it. I had a midwest Cap 232 that was 13 lbs, many of them are 16 or more. I hear great things about the Patty GP extra, but it too, is too heavy. I must be in the minority, to demand that much out of a model. I am directly comparing the Wild Hare edge to the Extreme Flight Yak. Chris is a great flier, and designed a wonderful airplane. This Edge is the closest thing to it, (in ARF form) I read how much people like the Texas Hurricane, Holy cow, at 15-16 lbs, How can they? I could see it in the Laser 2000, but a 78 inch plane that heavy, with skinny wings, I don't know. The aeroworks 29% edge is a different story, They come out light, many of them under 15 lbs, that will be tough to beat. I guess the only people that share my point of view are flying 33% and larger airplanes, and they tend to come out light, because they can' t put an engine twice as heavy as the manufacturer recommended on such a big airplane, it's just not possible. I am looking for similar performance to a friend of mines 35% radiocraft extra @ 24 lbs He also has a DR 109 at only 22 lbs. Sure all of the airplanes mentioned above will torque roll and go vertical forever with that kind of power up front, but what about slow flight? Harrier rolls, elevators, slowly descending flat spins, etc. You say 17 lbs was attainable, so we wanted 16. If it was any more than 17, I wouldn't even consider it, I would just wait for the Yak, indefinately, I am still on the list over there, but the delays are kinda discouraging, and like I said, to me, this is the only thing even remotely comparable in ARF form.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:42 AM
jbflier

[8D]
I not only like my Texas Hurricane, I love flying it!!! This is one of the snappiest airplanes I've seen(flown). Before anyone questions it's abilities, they should grab a tx and fly one. They're great!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:48 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: jbflier

[8D]
I not only like my Texas Hurricane, I love flying it!!! This is one of the snappiest airplanes I've seen(flown). Before anyone questions it's abilities, they should grab a tx and fly one. They're great!!!!
I have not flown one, so I cannot say, but what are you comparing it to ?? Have you flown a 35% airplane at 22 lbs ? thats a tough combo to beat. Most smaller airplanes don't fly the same, Even if they are light. There are just some qualities that are lost when they get smaller. The extreme flight Yaks, (even the 68" version) are supposed to fly just like the "big ones" which couldn't be said until recently. There are many examples of small versions of the same airplanes, and while some fly good, they do not fly just like their giant counterparts. Many "Giant" airplanes have wing loadings of 30 oz/sq ft or more, and "float" on landing, but a 40 size fun fly with wing loading like that would drop like a rock.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:11 AM
Maudib

BBriBro,

I too am excited about the YAK... NOT because it'll be any lighter but because it's a new and exciting design that appears to perform. you can bet I'll have me one.

If you want a funfly, look at the 3W Xtra Fun with a 3W24... 79" and 10 lbs... It'll fly lighter than that Midwest CAP.

My point was that as a whole, the RC community seems to constantly want MORE performance and durability at LESS weight and cost. People who bought the GP Patty Wagstaff really like it. Most tell of it landing slowly with very good slow flying characteristics. Many guys are using it for 3D while others like the IMAC sequences.

At 78.5" at 16 lbs is 31 oz. per sq. ft.! Some would say that was a pig... YET so many people who own one loves it... enough to buy another after they lost one to a crash!

I happen to own an AeroWorks 33% Edge at 26.75 lbs... and you are right it flies AWESOME. It slows down so slow that people cannot believe it's still flying, looking at times like it's quit forward movement. Yet it's wingloading is 33 oz. per sq. ft.!

Chip Hyde's AW 42% Ultimate offers about 28 oz. per sq. ft.

Carden's 40% Extra comes in at around 32 oz. per sq. ft.

The Wild Hare Edge's should offer a wingloading MUCH better than any of these planes at a quality level I'm excited about.

YET... people seem to want 25 oz. per sq. ft. so they'll fly good.... What's up with that? I suppose we'll need to tell all those guys their planes fly horribly...

My take is that any well designed plane coming in under 30 oz. per sq. ft. will be quite the performer... Lighter is better (to some degree) and again as I mentioned previously... you can opt to get teh Edge even lighter with the use of lightening techniques.

SOOOOO... I don't know what to tell you other than let's just wait. When people start getting their Wild Hare Edges you'll be able to tell what they are coming in at. As I mentioned before Tom has a couple designs out there and they've come in where they were quoted as. I suspect these will too.

I have one of his 35% Extra's here waiting to be assembled... I can't tell you how impressed I am with the quality of construction.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:42 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

The specs are all wonderful, But am I the only one that is concerned that the production models will weigh more than the prototype?? Many ARFs suffer from this, as the wood densities VARY greatly. You still get a well built, well engineered, nice looking model, but made from heavy wood, on an airplane this size, it adds up. I sure hope it really will be 15.5 lbs with a light 50cc engine.

Unfortunately my speculation was correct, I just read this on their website. "Our builder, when selecting aluminum materials for the landing gear and wing tube, had a limited selection compared to what we can get in this country, so to get adequate strength the parts come out slightly heavier "

"We are making available an upgrade package that will lighten the plane somewhat. This package includes a thin wall wing tube made of 6061-t6 seamless certified aircraft grade aluminum tube, and a landing gear made from 2024-t3 aircraft aluminum. The wing tube saves approximately 4 ounces over the standard tube, and the landing gear saves about 6-7 ounces over the standard gear." That must be some mighty beefy stuff they used in the kit. If you can save nearly 3/4 pound and not even use carbon fiber, just a lighter aluminum, I can't weight (pun intended) to feel the gear thats going to be in the box.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:47 AM
jbflier

According to Joe Hunt at www.downonthedeck.com he already has theWH 540, and will give a review in the near future. At least that's what he claims..........[8D]
Old 11-16-2003, 06:54 AM
jbflier

Actually, to see the boxed WH Edge 540, go to www.joeycomputers.com and that links to the above web site from Joe Hunt. Sorry about any confusion..........
Old 11-16-2003, 07:59 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: jbflier

According to Joe Hunt at www.downonthedeck.com he already has theWH 540, and will give a review in the near future. At least that's what he claims..........[8D]
How does he have one if they aren't due in this country till around Thanksgiving ? I have one on order, and I really am excited about it, however, after reading the latest news, it might be even more worth the weight (ha, pun intended again) for the Extreme Flight YAK, we'll see.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:23 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be for testing purposes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.