Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: evolution 61nx

Me too, always glad to hear feedback.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, im getting the 61nx. ill have to go with three props, the bottom, the middle and high end of the recommended props. gonna recover the plane im putting it on, so might be a while till i report.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 PM
jeffie8696

Great, Ilike to grab a handful of props from different manufacturers and designs in the relative size range and fly em all, its urprising which ones I decide on and all depends on the application.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM
tlojak38

ok, update. iv got the plane recovered and the engine mounted. i got three props, and ive used two of them so far. sorry, but i only use evolution props, but here it goes. i put a 12x6 on and got decent pull, about 10400 rpm. thought that was a bit slow, but it flew the plane. pulled that off, and put a 11x7 on, and now im getting 13500 rpm. the plane now does everything i could want it to do!! that being said, i have another question. i think i have a 14 oz tank in this, and this engine is burning through tanks of fuel fast! i go out and fill the tank, start the engine, let it run for a minute or two, take it up to full throttle several times during that time period, and you should see the oil and fuel running out of the muffler. is it because its so cold outside? also, im running 10%. and the average temp the last two times out has been around 40. i know without loosening some things up, there isnt a whole lot of adjustments on this. i dont want to expand these adjusters, unless i absolutely have to. thanks for any help/advise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32031.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1867510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10011.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1867512  
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM
jeffie8696

All the oil that lubricates the engine is contained within the fuel and is blown out the exhaust so lots of oil coming out is a very good thing. As it breaks in and you become more familiar with the needle settings you may be able to lean it out without causing any problems but dont be in a hurry.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
tlojak38

its not just oil coming out, its fuel also. and the engine is already broken in. and that doesnt explain the excessive fuel consumption. my thunder tiger pro 61 doesnt use nearly as much fuel. same size fuel tank in the plane its on, and in a five minute flight, it might use half a tank. the evolution is down to almost empty in that time. oh, and the thunder tiger is in a sig 4 star 60, so the flight weight is close, if not a little heavier than the big stick 60 that the evo is on.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

You may see better rpms and less fuel being spit out the exhaust by using an OS A3 plug. I think the whole Evolution line of 2 strokes suffer from running too cold with plugs in the normal heat range. A hot plug will burn the excess fuel that the colder plug won't. More power and less fuel needed. Better acceleration. Better starting.

How do you tune the engine? Have you adjusted the low speed needle?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 PM
tlojak38

so your saying replace the plug? its the original evo plug. with about 4-5 tanks on it. there isnt a whole lot of adjusting. evo uses what they call set right needle valves. they have limiters on them so that adjustments are minute. the low speed is a bar that comes out from the throttle that also utilizes the set right valve with a limiter. i have adjusted them, and it does seem to run better after it warms up. as i mentioned before, the average temp of my two times running this has been about 39-40 degrees. i dont know if i want to try another glow plug because the directions for the engine specify you cant use any other plugs in these engines but theirs. so, not sure what to do there. anyone else have any experience with changing plugs up? thanks for all the advice to this point.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

Listen to blw's advice. Don't worry about the owners manual and what it says; PR/Marketing lemmings write them and obviously get it wrong. Try a hot plug in it, you might be surprised how much better it runs. I like McCoy 4C and 59 plugs, fox miracle, and Enya #3's. I use a McCoy MC4C plug in my Jett .35 even though Jett specifies Merlin plugs. The Jett runs great on the mc4c.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
tlojak38

Ok, so ill try the hot plug. Just not sure ill be able to lean it out enough with these set right valves.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

ORIGINAL: tlojak38

Ok, so ill try the hot plug. Just not sure ill be able to lean it out enough with these set right valves.
Can't knock it until you try it. Get a tach if you don't already have one.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM
blw

Tlojak38,

It's a 2 stroke, so don't worry about valves. Adjust the high speed like you should anyway. It will burn fuel more efficiently, so you should see a smoother, more reliable idle than previously. Transition should be very smooth right away.

Are you sure the manual says to only use Hangar 9 plugs? I've bought 9 Evolutions, and my manuals never said anything like that. The hotter plug will not hurt anything if you tune it normally. Fly it around, crank it a few times, and see what you think.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 AM
tlojak38

Glow Plug
The Evolution engine comes with a specially designed
“Super Plug†that prevents idle and transition flameouts.
The plug’s unique shape directs incoming fuel/air mixture
away from the plug element. When replacing the plug,
be sure to replace it with another Evolution 2- or 4-cycle
Super Plug (EVO6P1).
this is right from the manual for the evo 61nx. but if you guys say its ok to use another plug, im down with it. what plug do you recommend? i think someone said an OS A3? any others that work well on here. i want to have at least two to compare performance.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:34 AM
blw

That's the same kind of statement like Toyota or Honda makes- Use only genuine Toyota motor oil to prevent engine damage with only a factory trained technician changing your cars oil.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Windwalker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why when someone asks any questions about an engine there's always a slew of responses shoving an OS down their throat. Don't get me wrong, I like OS engines but not everyone wants to spend $200-$300 on a 60 size sport engine. Fact is,
lots of times the people asking the Q's see what OS cost and decide to look elsewhere.
So how about just answering the actual question they ask if you have any useful information that might help them?
Again, I've got lots of OS engines and I think they're great, but the BEST engine choice is the one that does everything you want
within your budget

Rant Off
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
tlojak38

good post! lol i actually have 3 os engines, and a thunder tiger. cost actually had nothing to do with this purchase. i got this one because i love the look, and have heard good things about them. also, i believe i am at the skill level of owning one, as i have heard these arent beginners engines. and its true. its a little tricky, but i think ill get it. its supposed to be beautiful thurs. so ill be out giving it another try with a new plug. i was reading the directions, and if i take the collars off and remove the restricter spring, i can get more adjustment. but thats a last resort.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
blw

The collars are always adjustable. They are for adjusting a limited range of needle turn until you readjust the collar. I grind off the high speed limiter pin if it has those. In any case, the limiters get tossed.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:33 AM
Evol61NX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 61NX

Is there any sort of header available from anywhere for this motor that I can use with a QUIET muffler (and where to buy such a muffler) ?????
It's in an Acrowot and before I crashed it and broke the crankcase the plane was a vertical stinker, had luck to find the engine parts from Australia.
I need to run mine at home to set it up and the neighbours are a miserable lot, they play music outside until very late evening but that's supposed to be alright.....
[email protected]