Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Stuck pinion set screw

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stuck pinion set screw

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Sometimes you just have to say it straight up. Now the OP knows the heat trick to free up a set screw. I use an electrical soldering iron. Once you have rounded off the set screw.. there is not much you can do about it. Cutting a slot would be very hard to do and not much metal to work with. I used that slotting trick just last week on a servo screw... if it won't budge... use some heat to free it up. The new pinion is not that much, but if you yank and pull on the rotor, you may end up replacing the motor too!

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974
ORIGINAL: on_your_six

The stock pinion is toast... drill it and forget it... you can always buy another pinion.. oh wait a minute.. you don't want to spend anything... never mind ignore.
Funny, But harsh...
All of what you say is true, I like the soldering iron trick for heating it up.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, heating it up will be my first try. If that doesn't work, then the vice and pin job, and then if not that, drilling it out, and if all else fails, try pulling off. I guess that method goes hand in hand with the vise method.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 AM
cumminspower5.9

So last night I was working on getting this pinion off. First I tried heat. That didn't help at all, as I think after trying to many times, I may have stripped theset screw. So I tried putting it in the vice. The jaws on the vice were too big to sit the bottom of the pinion on the top. I was like "Crap!" I ketpt trying several things but to no avail, I couldnt get it off. So I cringed and decided to pit the pinion in the vice and clamp down. To prevent damage, i put a wash cloth so it wasn't direct metal to metal on the pinion. I got a hammer and punch and punched it right out with ease with no damage to the 14t pinion. Thank god.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 AM
redfisher1974

Glad you got it off, Good work.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

So last night I was working on getting this pinion off. First I tried heat. That didn't help at all, as I think after trying to many times, I may have stripped theset screw. So I tried putting it in the vice. The jaws on the vice were too big to sit the bottom of the pinion on the top. I was like ''Crap!'' I ketpt trying several things but to no avail, I couldnt get it off. So I cringed and decided to pit the pinion in the vice and clamp down. To prevent damage, i put a wash cloth so it wasn't direct metal to metal on the pinion. I got a hammer and punch and punched it right out with ease with no damage to the 14t pinion. Thank god.
is it wrong to glote that my idea actially worked? [X(]

lol, good to here its worked for ya
Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
FuelCoupe

I really should read the whole thread first my comment is redundant.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Dads like rc too

I'm glad you got it off but seriously, I understand you're on a budget and I applaud you for sticking with it and not bringing it to a shop for repair, but if it was such an issue to save a $4 part I can't imagine what you'll do if you need to replace a receiver someday.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

There's a difference between not being able to afford a $4 part and being "cheap" (I use the term loosely). For some, trying to find free methods over spending money is part of the challenge.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM
redfisher1974

Good point followed by a good counter point....[&:]
Old 03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
FuelCoupe

I dont think the OP should be criticised for being cheap, it may be a cheap part but he may live some where where it quickly becomes dearer due to travel or whatever, i would have to travel 20 minutes one way just to get a prepaid visa to order off the net, suddenly that part is a lot dearer. Sometimes it works out beter to be tight specialy if you have another part sitting there and can get it running again with a bit of lateral thinking. As for tools tho, I always look at them as an investment so am a lot less tight there. At the end of the day he got a result that was good and that was all that matters really.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: FuelCoupe

I dont think the OP should be criticised for being cheap, it may be a cheap part but he may live some where where it quickly becomes dearer due to travel or whatever, i would have to travel 20 minutes one way just to get a prepaid visa to order off the net, suddenly that part is a lot dearer. Sometimes it works out beter to be tight specialy if you have another part sitting there and can get it running again with a bit of lateral thinking. As for tools tho, I always look at them as an investment so am a lot less tight there. At the end of the day he got a result that was good and that was all that matters really.
Well that's fine, I expected to be criticized for criticizing. I understand cheap because that is me, probably the main reason I only own Redcats at the time. It's not so much that I couldn't afford something better, just don't want to spend the money. I also love to tinker and mod and find my way around things. It just sounded like it was a VERY big deal to save this pinion gear. So I'm sorry if it sounded insulting, I guess I was just thinking out loud. I was seriously wondering if it was this big a deal to save the pinion, what will happen when something substantial breaks?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Personally, I chuckled when I read your post. I have gone to extreme measures to try and salvage cheap parts but never bat an eyelash when buying 3 identical kits, engines, and electronics to go racing (always want a primary, backup, and parts car for every class I race - yes, I know I have a problem).
Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 AM
redfisher1974

Problem, Maybe but its a good one.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well in this situation, it wasn't really the fact of trying to be cheap. If there are ways to do something without making yet another purchase in the hobby, I'd rather do it "for free" Something as simple as  pinion, I know it doesn't require a special tool. I did want to save the pinion for future use, but I probable will not, unless I take a grinder to it so I can use a flat head to pull out the set screw.. But thank you all for your input.