Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine for an Ugly Stik

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks, you all have convinced me. Tail dragger it is. I am placing a TowerHobby order for parts and radio. Still reviewing engines. Can someone give me an idea on fuel tank size for 20cc. Yesterday I dry fitted the ailerons. They sure look good. Today I will dry fit the rudder and elevator. I'm getting the balsa supply out to start laying out the fuselage. I will start weighing and charting what I have to get an idea on balance.

As for training, I hope to get with an instructor I met for some stick time. I have 3 apps on my iPad that I use for practice. It has helped with orientation especially airplane coming at you. One is real squirrelly which helps with reaction time.

Anyway, I will have some build time today.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:48 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

10-12oz is all I ever use. I had a 3D plane on a 6oz that gave me all the flight time I needed.....
Old 08-31-2014, 04:03 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
10-12oz is all I ever use. I had a 3D plane on a 6oz that gave me all the flight time I needed.....
Thank you.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 AM
willig10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my .60 size ugly stick. I went to tail dragged and used a Zenoah G-20. With electronic ignition. A DLE 20cc would be a good choice as well. Ensure you install guide tubes on your exposed control wires on the tail surfaces. If you don't do that, you will see the control wires vibrate excessively, and can cause a crash. Other than that, I would reinforce the firewall.

Your going to love going to gas, and the ugly stick is the perfect plane for the transition.

Glenn
Old 09-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha,
I concur...10~12 oz. is plenty of fuel for a 20cc gas engine.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui