Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin Turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin Turbines

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 06:46 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Swiwin logos

If anyone's interested, I had Aero Graphix make me some Swiwin logos, so he should have the file still. Tell him Nick Radle sent you.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:16 AM
gotofly6010

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I make many cable for spektrum telemetry cable, please ask CRX turbine

Old 02-01-2020, 07:03 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by gotofly6010
I make many cable for spektrum telemetry cable, please ask CRX turbine

Hi Thomas, I thought you were contacted about this, but this cable DOES NOT WORK with Spektrum Powersafe receivers!!
I got in contact with spektrum developers, who in turn got in contact with Andy at CRX turbines, whom graciously sent them an ECU for testing purposes. It is them that came up with the solution I posted for powersafe receivers. If you are interested in how they came up with what they did, I can send a link yo their findings. Perhaps you can change protocol in the future to make Spektrum telemetry more universal across their line of receivers.
my email is [email protected]

Last edited by bodywerks; 02-01-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:58 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Swiwin turbine. I just had my turbine serviced for the 1st time by CRX Turbines. After talking to Andy at CRX I have learned that he is a good guy that knows turbines and wants to make sure your turbine is running great when you get it back.

The following users liked this post:
CRX Turbines (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 06:23 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thomas,

Your cable was a start to the solution. The issue that arose was that the Powersafe system would not work with Swiwin telemetry. Nick reached out to me about this initially and he found a pigtail that he sourced and was good enough to send me a link and a supply of the pigtails. Andy Kunz from Horizon worked with me to obtain the cables and an ecu test set for loan and after a relatively quick period of time, he came up with a workaround for the Powersafe system. As Andy explained to me, the problem was tracked down to the Swiwin ECU needing to have power applied at the same time that the receiver powers. This was accomplished by moving the power supply to the X-Bus port on the receiver.

I have both cables for anyone that requires this. Nick if you can get with me about how to make the mod, I will offer this on my site and to anyone that might need one.

Andy

Originally Posted by bodywerks
Hi Thomas, I thought you were contacted about this, but this cable DOES NOT WORK with Spektrum Powersafe receivers!!
I got in contact with spektrum developers, who in turn got in contact with Andy at CRX turbines, whom graciously sent them an ECU for testing purposes. It is them that came up with the solution I posted for powersafe receivers. If you are interested in how they came up with what they did, I can send a link yo their findings. Perhaps you can change protocol in the future to make Spektrum telemetry more universal across their line of receivers.

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 02-02-2020 at 06:27 AM.
bodywerks (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 10:12 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by CRX Turbines
Thomas,

Your cable was a start to the solution. The issue that arose was that the Powersafe system would not work with Swiwin telemetry. Nick reached out to me about this initially and he found a pigtail that he sourced and was good enough to send me a link and a supply of the pigtails. Andy Kunz from Horizon worked with me to obtain the cables and an ecu test set for loan and after a relatively quick period of time, he came up with a workaround for the Powersafe system. As Andy explained to me, the problem was tracked down to the Swiwin ECU needing to have power applied at the same time that the receiver powers. This was accomplished by moving the power supply to the X-Bus port on the receiver.

I have both cables for anyone that requires this. Nick if you can get with me about how to make the mod, I will offer this on my site and to anyone that might need one.

Andy

Andy, long work week for me. I'll get with you soon. Ideally, if Thomas can come up with a protocol change in the ECU so that it keeps sending a request count on power up for a fixed amount of time, say 10-15 seconds, from the telemetry system, I think it would work better. The way it is currently working, we have to power the ECU off a secondary power source that has a rather limited current supply of 450mah. It's plenty, but I can see others being skeptical. I already reached out to Thomas on this.
PS: I also reached out to him about covering the gap between the 190 and the 300. I'm about to plan my next project, and I'm leaning toward a 220-240 size aircraft, but my loyalty to swiwin is high. If I don't hear about the possibility of a 240-260 Swiwin, I'll have to change plans.

Last edited by bodywerks; 02-02-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 AM
CRX Turbines

Call me

Andy

Andy, long work week for me. I'll get with you soon. Ideally, if Thomas can come up with a protocol change in the ECU so that it keeps sending a request count on power up for a fixed amount of time, say 10-15 seconds, from the telemetry system, I think it would work better. The way it is currently working, we have to power the ECU off a secondary power source that has a rather limited current supply of 450mah. It's plenty, but I can see others being skeptical. I already reached out to Thomas on this.
PS: I also reached out to him about covering the gap between the 190 and the 300. I'm about to plan my next project, and I'm leaning toward a 220-240 size aircraft, but my loyalty to swiwin is high. I'd I don't hear about the possibility of a 240-260 Swiwin, I'll have to change plans.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:34 PM
fordster39
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a Swiwn 60b (thanks Andy for all the help you have given me ) and i currently fly with a Graupner MZ-32 radio, my issue is currently these two systems are incompatible as far as telemetry goes. Does anyone know of a work around to get the Swiwin telemetry on the Graupner radio.

Thanks in advance
Gil

Last edited by fordster39; 02-04-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:20 PM
CRX Turbines

Hi Gil,

It was great talking to you about this. At present the two systems are not compatible and as discussed, the best way I can see to address this is in a similar fashion to what we did when it was time to look at Spectrum. I basically reached out to spectrum in order to find the engineer in charge (Andy K) and we worked to a resolution. Give me a little while to find out who at Graupner might assist and we can move ahead on this. If anyone has any recommendation for contacts in Graupner, please let me know.

It is great to hear that your engine is working well.

Andy

Originally Posted by fordster39
i have a Swiwn 60b (thanks Andy for all the help you have given me ) and i currently fly with a Graupner MZ-32 radio, my issue is currently these two systems are incompatible as far as telemetry goes. Does anyone know of a work around to get the Swiwin telemetry on the Graupner radio.

Thanks in advance
Gil

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 02-05-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:47 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CRX Turbines
Hi Gil,

It was great talking to you about this. At present the two systems are not compatible and as discussed, the best way I can see to address this is in a similar fashion to what we did when it was time to look at Spectrum. I basically reached out to spectrum in order to find the engineer in charge (Andy K) and we worked to a resolution. Give me a little while to find out who at Graupner might assist and we can move ahead on this. If anyone has any recommendation for contacts in Graupner, please let me know.

It is great to hear that your engine is working well.

Andy
^^^And service like that I why I keep coming to Andy for my turbine needs!
Tone
The following 2 users liked this post by Agrav8ed:
CRX Turbines (02-09-2020), fordster39 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 06:45 PM
gotofly6010

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello..

Thanks your info,I will mail you, and fix firmware of swiwin ECU

Regards
Thomas
Old 02-09-2020, 04:26 AM
bodywerks

CRXturbines SW170b powered Predator jet flight. Just over 1:1 thrust at take-off;

The following 2 users liked this post by bodywerks:
CRX Turbines (02-09-2020), Desertlakesflying (02-20-2021)
Old 02-09-2020, 04:35 AM
CRX Turbines

Perfect flight ... love it...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:50 AM
bodywerks

I went to Coachella jets this weekend. I would guess that there were at least 100 jets there. I saw numerous Swiwin/AceX turbines, at least 20, likely more, and none that I saw had issues. Hard to deny their viability. I had almost 20 successful starts and flights on mine over the weekend
CRX Turbines (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:23 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I’m impressed thus far with just over 3 hours cumulative time on mine.
bodywerks (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:11 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Took delivery on my first 210. Going in Skymaster 1 73/4 F4. Looking forward to seeing it perform
Old 02-17-2020, 05:42 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm seriously considering one of these for my next engine but haven't heard from anyone that's made it to the 25 hour mark without issues. Would like to hear some long term reviews.

For the original question, it would be nice for Swiwin to have its own little place but anyone can start a thread inside the Turbine Clinic but outside of the manufacturers' sub-forums.

As for FB, I've been there since its inception and it's not good for info or research compared to these forums.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:03 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by causeitflies
I'm seriously considering one of these for my next engine but haven't heard from anyone that's made it to the 25 hour mark without issues. Would like to hear some long term reviews.

For the original question, it would be nice for Swiwin to have its own little place but anyone can start a thread inside the Turbine Clinic but outside of the manufacturers' sub-forums.

As for FB, I've been there since its inception and it's not good for info or research compared to these forums.
To be fair, I've heard of other manufacturers' that have turbines not make it to the 25 hour mark before needing service, usually bearings. It really has a lot to do with how the jet is flown, cooled, e.t.c.
I wouldn't knock swiwin if I don't make 25 hrs. But I fly hard - snaps, tumbles, high g turns, high speed passes, and such. No bearings like supporting a 150krpm spinning wheel during such gyroscopic maneuvers...
Under-powered jets who's turbines spend 98% of their flight at full throttle probably aren't happy, either.
TXJETS (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:07 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

To be fair, I've heard of other manufacturers' that have turbines not make it to the 25 hour mark before needing service, usually bearings. It really has a lot to do with how the jet is flown, cooled, e.t.c.
I wouldn't knock swiwin if I don't make 25 hrs. But I fly hard - snaps, tumbles, high g turns, high speed passes, and such. No bearings like supporting a 150krpm spinning wheel during such gyroscopic maneuvers...
Under-powered jets who's turbines spend 98% of their flight at full throttle probably aren't happy, either.
Yes there are engines that don't make it to 25 hrs. But to be fair I have engines that went past 50 hrs without service and I don't just fly around in circles.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:58 PM
CRX Turbines

Hi Nick,You made some good points here...

Overheating appears to be a major contributing factor in engines we have examined that are overworked. To your point, using a larger motor and winding it up to 75% is prudent and is good engineering. We work on different engine brands and some things are fundamental to all engines. If I am asked to work on an engine, we try and figure out what is wrong and how it got to be a problem. Most people do not know what is going on inside their engine. If a motor starts to break down from heat, this quickly becomes a domino effect. As for inertial force, G Force and centrifugal forces, the effect on the armature is not so much as you might think. The weight of the wheels, shaft, inside race balls and shaft is low. I am not saying these are not considerable forces to shorten engine longevity but what we do see coming through at times are engines that have broken down due to overheating. We recently serviced a (non-Swiwin) engine and the coloration of the rear bearing (inner and outer races) was consistent with overheating. The bearings (GRW for most motors) are rated for 350 - 400 Celsius and the smaller the engine, the less heat dissipation. Stainless turns yellowish at ~380C, Blue at ~700C and black when temps exceed 1000C. All of this is considered when examining an engine and last and certainly not least, balance is absolutely crucial. Any Imbalance, far less than what we can feel with our hands, screw driver, keys or whatever, represents an issue for engine longevity regardless of engine brand.

From a service standpoint Swiwin turbines have not presented a problem for premature bearing failures. This is based on what we have seen. I can say that the materials used in Swiwin are a very big factor. I made suggestions for alternate materials over time that have been used and this resulted in significant improvements across the board. Consider that there was a single 60 brushed pump and starter about 5 years ago then we went to 120 then 140 160 and so on. There have been some growing pains but in the grand scheme with good teamwork a good product has been turned out.

Andy

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 02-18-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-19-2020, 01:20 PM
CRX Turbines

Kevin,

I just sent you a PM.

Andy

Originally Posted by kevinthoele
Took delivery on my first 210. Going in Skymaster 1 73/4 F4. Looking forward to seeing it perform
Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by kevinthoele
Is it the one with the titanium compressor wheel?
Old 02-20-2020, 10:02 AM
arizcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the one with the titanium compressor wheel?
yes
bodywerks (02-20-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 AM
bodywerks

Had my first flame-out last weekend. Thank God for the Telemetry, and the auto-restart came in handy, too! I was actually setting up to land due to the deadstick and on base final in case the restart didn't work, but I heard it spooling past idle on short final so I slowly advanced throttle and it was back to life, and no issues after. I continued the flight, albeit a little higher than I normally fly(I fly LOW) without issue. I'm 99% sure I got an air bubble in the system because I accidentally FULLY drained my fuel system, including UAT, and probably didn't purge all the bubbles out.
I flew a second flight without issue. 7 hours on my 80 now, and almost 10 on my 170. Still running strong.
CRX Turbines (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 07:00 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone used other type of battery than the 11.1volts lipo?
thanks;

hmarmaizmd717

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.