Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Introducing myself...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 07:32 PM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by prigai
That't amazing, I don't think many engines would survive under the same circumstances.
I have great respect for good engineering, I remember reports of this engine operating regularly well past the manufacturer's max. RPM's in a GAUI NX4 with no issues.
Great pity this engine is no longer available...
They were in general, GREAT engines: When they were still around, national Dutch championship 1/8th scale offroad buggy was won twice in a row with a GO engine.
I still have one (Rotorstar Apache branded) brandnew in box including the original cooling fan and the original Vortex heli muffler additional to the one I have been flying the past 7 years (identical set-up WRT fan and muffler).
I did however change the heatsink-eads for those of the MK II which are better in every respect.
Old 10-15-2022, 04:28 PM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
Inbetween steps: different props to see how the engine responds
An APC 9 x 6 brings the RPM up by 1100 to 12100 and gives a power increase from 0,4 to 0,44 hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgpKkJ9b5M

Going even lighter with APC 9 x 5 brings RPM to 13000 and raises power to 0.46 hp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3vF1P6LQ_E

The 9 x 5 gives a slightly better static pull, but chances are, the 9 x 6 will perform better in the air. Remains to be determined.
It has all appearance that this engine was not even fully broken in (I have very little info on how much it has been run previously) but after several months of being shelved, I ran it for several hours in the past 2 weeks, now with the solenoid mixture control applied and first of all, fuel consumption has dropped VERY significantly (by about a factor 5, no joke) but what is more, over the course of that runtime, it gained about 850 RPM with the 9 x 5 (13850 RPM, appr 0,56 hp) and it does 12550 on the 9 x 6, or about 0,5 hp.

A plane build specifically for this engine is underway, but it most likely won't fly before spring next year.

I was highly surprised to see the engine gradually gain power, and it appears it has more of whatever it is people call "compression" in a Wankel.

But I have to do something about the muffler, because it is pretty restrictive. This engine responds apparently to inertia in the exhaust ducting. Simply extending the stock muffler with a random piece of silicone tbing resulted in a 300 RPM gain, repeatably.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:15 AM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
A plane build specifically for this engine is underway, but it most likely won't fly before spring next year.
Proudly presenting the M1200:

Old 10-26-2022, 04:40 PM
Raleighcopter

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by prigai
That't amazing, I don't think many engines would survive under the same circumstances.
I have great respect for good engineering, I remember reports of this engine operating regularly well past the manufacturer's max. RPM's in a GAUI NX4 with no issues.
Great pity this engine is no longer available...
I happen to have a nx4 with the gaui t10 engine. I should fly it some time.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:40 AM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by Raleighcopter
I happen to have a nx4 with the gaui t10 engine. I should fly it some time.
you should....

The engine itself, absolutely is mechanically sound. The carburation is the issue. So far, I have not yet been able to figure out a solution for that other than to supress the issue by altering the shape of the LS needle a bit, and to supress the issues with the use of a governor.
But mine has provided 7 years of reliable and very frequent service, until I crashed the heli due to a broken lanyard causing the transmittertray to drop from under my hands...

I hate it when that happens...
Old 11-10-2022, 12:32 AM
1967brutus

This is about "modifying engines" but has little to do with "modifying to gasoline".

The Wankel is being used in pusher configuration, however, there is no pusher muffler availlable and the stock muffler cannot be reversed. That is to say, it can be, but will protrde into the prop arc.

So despite these parts nowadays basically being "unobtanium", it was of little use to me as is: it would still cover part of the plane with oil during startup and warm up, and I decided to bring out the hacksaw, basically (actually, I used my Dremel motorized Jigsaw, but that's just minor details )

I cut off the dome of the muffler body, and chambered the now open end on a lathe to accept the tailcap. Then since there is not much flesh left to machine the domw, I flattened the edges as good as possible and used Belzona 1111 to seal things up on that end.

Pretty sure I am now not only the only person with an OS Wankel running on gasoline, I probably also am the only person with a Wankel having a "Stock OS pusher pipe"

The following users liked this post:
mgnostic (04-01-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:26 AM
ductedfan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Morning all. I enjoyed reading all of the posts. I do have a couple of questions.
1. Do you guys have a procedure that you follow to convert these glow engines to gas? I have two .90 Rossi engines that I am thinking of converting. I will post pictures of them as soon as I can find them in all of my stuff. But, when I bought them, I was told by the seller that they were ducted fan engines. They look vastly different than the 'normal' Rossi .90 engines. They are much larger than the .81 Rossi that I have.
2. Along those same lines, how much of an RPM drop comes with the conversion? The reason I ask is because there is an article for an F-4 fun scale phantom that has a diesel engine (OS .77 with a Davis Diesel head) in it and somehow achieves enough RPM to power it!!!
So, what are your thoughts??? Thanks in advance for the info.

Cheers...
Old 03-31-2024, 12:28 PM
1967brutus

I would not go for a gasoline conversion if the goal is IC ducted fan...

The issue is not so much with heat or lubrication, much more with most likely the ignition not being able to keep up with that kind of RPM, and the short life of the plugs IF it would be able to...