Go Back  RCU Forums > RCU Rules & FAQs > RCUniverse.com FAQ
Reload this Page >

Old Photos - Gone?

Community
Search
Notices
RCUniverse.com FAQ RCU''s most frequently asked questions.

Old Photos - Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 01:44 PM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Sorry about strong wording...
If photos from ~4-5 years old threads are gone it renders this kind of forum to nothing.

At past, golden ages of web forums I remember that RCU was one of the biggest. Ulimate source of information. Photos are really good way to share and give information. How things done with the model and also those handicraft skils.

But as stated at the bigining, without those photos RCU RIP ...if that is not the way of the future at any case.
Who cares to start a new thread if all gone soon?

Photos have gone from all my build thread which are only two years old as well as older posts! We need to know are these lost for ever!
Old 01-05-2023, 01:56 PM
eromeros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Sorry about strong wording...
If photos from ~4-5 years old threads are gone it renders this kind of forum to nothing.

At past, golden ages of web forums I remember that RCU was one of the biggest. Ulimate source of information. Photos are really good way to share and give information. How things done with the model and also those handicraft skils.

But as stated at the bigining, without those photos RCU RIP ...if that is not the way of the future at any case.
Who cares to start a new thread if all gone soon?
Could't agree more, Threads with pics are like an encyclopedia. Invaluable. On every new build I would first look for threads with lots of pics, bookmark them and then follow along as I built. Now it would be just text, valuable information for sure, but not the same.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:20 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Of late, I have little to no hope of this being addressed. The ever increasing impression I get is that the owners and moderators have little to no motivation to try and maintain the site in the interest of its members. One only has to look at the AMA thread to see how insults and provocation are allowed to continue as its clearly acceptable behavior. Although I don't see the insults and provocation going on anywhere else on the site, there is a moderator who is actively posting in those threads and so its not as if it is going unseen.
I see it as more unfortunate decline in the site based upon how the site team views the users and maintaining a good go to place that they want the users to keep coming back to.
I think the majority of people that still come and share here are folks that are getting up in years, that at one time knew this place to be the best of the best. Now the site owners and moderators seem complacent with how things are and have no motivation to do better.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:11 PM
gottabeme
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most members can agree with The Edge of this one. Hopefully things will improve soon
before RCU becomes little more than a passing memory of it's glory days
The following users liked this post:
bodybuildr (01-27-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 04:06 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Holding out with hope

In reality I don't know anything about the operation of this site.
I don't know who "OWNS" it. I don't know who "WORKS" it.
For all I know, IT is one person that donates their time for the love of the "HOBBY"
I know it cost money to run this site. Exactly how much. I have no idea.
I know that there is not any money coming from my pocket "technically" to support it.

This is the only RC Forum Site that I have ever actually contributed to and continue to hang on with hope that all will be well for RCU.

So, RCU, however many of you there are, there are many of us that have really enjoyed this place over the years and hopefully you will be able to restore all the pictures to all the stories that have been told...

bodybuildr (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:17 PM
bodybuildr
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ
In reality I don't know anything about the operation of this site.
I don't know who "OWNS" it. I don't know who "WORKS" it.
For all I know, IT is one person that donates their time for the love of the "HOBBY"
I know it cost money to run this site. Exactly how much. I have no idea.
I know that there is not any money coming from my pocket "technically" to support it.

This is the only RC Forum Site that I have ever actually contributed to and continue to hang on with hope that all will be well for RCU.

So, RCU, however many of you there are, there are many of us that have really enjoyed this place over the years and hopefully you will be able to restore all the pictures to all the stories that have been told...
I had some correspondence with a IT guy or a owner when the market place changed. a few years ago I got the impression that RCU was a side thing for him. I'm not expecting things will improve here. It's a shame because this was my go to sire for information.

Last edited by bodybuildr; 01-27-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:59 AM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if people taking the time to post and detail their builds for the benefit of others realise that in a couple of years all photos could disappear?

My build threads are useless now so what’s the point keeping them in the site?. They may as well delete these posts because if I could I would.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:25 AM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

I have decided to leave and not look back, years of documenting my builds and researching other builder's projects gone. Why would anyone spend time on this site knowing it will all be wiped clean following the next upgrade? Rcgroups, Flying Giants, RC Scalebuilder, Facebook. So many choices, so many moderators that care. See you all on the other sites

Mike
Old 01-30-2023, 04:07 PM
Hot Rod Todd

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems like they didn't want to pay the price for some storage, so they cleaned house. Like many others I'm sure, I don't think it's worth my effort to spend the time posting build threads and helping people if it all goes away.
Unless they get the photos back, I'll be out of here too.
ev2driver (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 03:52 AM
ev2driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree on the above analysis, sad reality. RCU is not much worth as one time (see for exhample the volumes of classified articles compared to others), so it make no sense to spend much of our time publishing on it when photo will be erased . Probably they chosed tu cut costs, but not communicating to users, I think is not the best strategy in the long run, but legimate, since most don't pay for this forum.
I tried to search on the Wayback Machine but they don't have the most part of RCU photos stored...
I Joined Flying Giant today ( being already member of the other usual before mentioned groups). I would add to the list of nice forums also: RC-network.de
it is in german, ok, but the translator built in many browser can make it usable to read/write on it
regards,

Paolo
Old 02-12-2023, 07:00 AM
summerwind

Sad to see RCU going away.
There was a lot of great info here and now it's like looking at an old newspaper that is badly faded from sun exposure.

Really not many talk sites with good info as well.............other site, won't mention name, is loaded with build threads and pics, but the arguing with newbies that think they know it all because they are successful foamie pilots is really depressing.

Old 02-26-2023, 12:33 AM
Turtlejets

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

WoooHooo! It would appear that all the missing content is back! I can see photographs in the older forums again. I wonder if this is the same for everyone?
Old 02-26-2023, 03:29 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile Pictures are back

YES pictures are back....

THEY'RE GREAT!
Old 02-26-2023, 03:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Turtlejets
WoooHooo! It would appear that all the missing content is back! I can see photographs in the older forums again. I wonder if this is the same for everyone?
Yep! You guys are all set
The following 2 users liked this post by BarracudaHockey:
J330 (02-26-2023), RICKSTUBBZ (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:39 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellent news! Lots of information out there that can now be accessed. Appreciate the response in getting the photos returned.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:02 AM
summerwind

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yep! You guys are all set

Thank you 'cuda

been enjoying this for the last 3 days now
J330 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:33 AM
bodybuildr
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yay, pictures are back!
Old 02-27-2023, 06:32 AM
eromeros

Nice!, checked a couple of old thread ~2005 and pics are back!.

Last edited by eromeros; 02-27-2023 at 06:44 AM.