Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What do you hate about building

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What do you hate about building

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 07:48 AM
Extra 230
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do you hate about building

It shouldn't be called building. Sanding is a better description. When you think about it, building a model is about 80% sanding (in most cases). You do a lot sanding in all stages of construction. I don't like it a lot, but having the right tools helps a lot. Good sanding tools, like Permagrit, is one of the best investments you can make in this hobby.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BUILDING PERIOD!!!!
I hate it!
I prefer flying but until I can afford to have someone build for me, I'm stuck doing it!
Old 12-02-2003, 03:43 PM
realdeal
My Feedback: (45)

I am a radio hater myself. I don't mind it so much when there are clear instructions and a ready made location. I really dislike having to manufacture servo trays and the like. My otherwise finished Reaper has been waiting for over a month because of this.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only parts of building that I really don't like, are:

1) Having to substantially re-engineer something that was badly designed or manufactured. (I don't mind engineering something from scratch, but I hate having to redesign stuff that the manufacturer screwed up, coz I already paid them to get it right).

2) Having to have an idle workbench because I'm waiting for parts to arrive that were supposed to be in the kit, but were not. A proper parts list in all kits would help reduce this issue from cropping up several times per kit.

Gordon
Old 12-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought only one ARF during my whole modelling experience (once felt the urge to have something to fly).

As Gordon Mc piointed it out, it is a real pain in the ass to have to redesign a badly manufactured part of your ARF.

This is really what happend to me with this ****ty ARF : hinging hadn't been propoerly done , so that throws were not big enough, especially for the rudder. How the hell will I knife edge with this BS ? I asked myself... I 've been obliged to "unhinge", and believe me, it was awful[:'(][:@][sm=angry.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif][sm=disappointed.gif] . Don't think I'll renew the experience.

Today, I really tend to regret the aircraft kits, which have now largely been replaced by ARFs . "A boon for the flyers, a bane for the builders."
Old 12-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Phil Cole

I like building new stuff. After you're done you have something new and interesting.

Fixing stuff after I broke it is the pits. You get to do all that work to get back to where you would have been if only your thumbs could manage to do the right thing.