Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3W to DA

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:46 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3W to DA

Otter I'm still with ya. All this waffling is making my head spin so I have
to stop before the dumb thing falls off. I'm headed for the shop right
now to put the standoffs for the DA in my Edge. Final answer.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:49 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

I love my 3W106-its very strong-Take all this negativity with a grain of salt, along with about 3/4's of the advice from the "experts" here. If you follow the break-in (lawn boy 50:1/27-10 prop) and dont fiddle with the needles all should go well. There are 2 other 3w's at our local field that run flawlessly and super strong.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can vouch for Otter's difficulties with his engines. He replaced entire systems in his plane to try to find the problem and the only reward for his efforts was a pair of poor running engines, even after he got them back from service. I have seen good running 3W engines but I can't afford to take a $1300 gamble when choosing my powerplant.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

When I bought my first 3W-100 (the old one I mentioned earlier) it was used and didn't have a fitting for running a carb line.

I flew it a good 4 months before I heard of people having problems with it. So I decided hey, I have some soder, and I have 5 seconds, so I'll run my own line to the fuse assuming these people knew what they were talking about. I never had one problem with my 3W, before or after. The new QS I got here recently has the velocity stack with the line built in, so it's not even an issue.

I find it hilarious that people continuously bash other products, be it cars, engines, shoes, etc. simply because they are afraid to think for even an instant that the big new thing they got might actually be (gasp) NOT BETTER THAN SOMEONE ELSE'S!!!!!!! Grow up people.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:08 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Insert further grumbling here
Old 12-15-2003, 09:57 PM
rony

Hello all,

I have the Hanggar 9 Extra 330 1/3 scale also with the 3W-106B2. (new)
Very very disappointed really, just only 3-4 flights, the engine starting to have problem.
After change new warped carb block and the ignition system, everything become normal.( The same situation happened also to my 3W-50i ).

Next time consider to use DA or BME, no more 3W.

Rony
Old 12-20-2003, 08:29 AM
IanB
My Feedback: (1)

WHY???????

WHY???????

WHY??????

Why do the carb blocks warp.

Why cant 3w fix this STUPID problem

Why dont they just rip off the DA carb block and forget about it?

Seriously with the size of the 3w product line they must spend a lot more on R and D then any other engine manufacturer.

SPEND SOME MONEY ON THE FREAKIN CARB BLOCK AND GET IT FIXED!!!!!!!!!!

3w people please dont deny this is the case..........just search RC for the amount of mail on this..........IM GLAD FOR YOU IF YOURS WORKS...........but you cant deny from the mass of info there IS A PROBLEM.

I really do wish 3w could get the quality control together. In the past we have had the following,

chrome coming off the cylinder walls
bad midrange (I believe this was because of fitting oversized carbs in search of more top end)
bad plug caps
bad ignitions
warped carb blocks
broken cranks

YES OTHER ENGINES HAVE PROBLEMS TOO BUT GO LOOK AT ANY CHAT GROUP TO SEE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE HAVING PROBLEMS................YES SOME OF IT IS OPERATOR ERROR BUT THOSE SAME OPERATORS ARENT HAVING THE SAME AMOUNT OF PROBLEMS WITH OTHER MANUFACTURERS ENGINES!

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A 3W 106
YES THAT IS RIGHT...............I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A 3W106!!!!!

BUT................I AM NOT SPONSORED........I DO NOT HAVE MONEY OR AIRCRAFT TO BURN.........I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER 3W ENGINE UNTIL I KNOW THAT THIS 10c PROBLEM IS FIXED. I REFUSE TO PUT MY $3500 PLANE AT RISK.

PS IF 3W COULD TURN OUT THE LEVEL OF QUALITY CONTROL AND AFTER SALES SERVICE AS DA..........THEY COULD CLEAN UP!
Old 12-20-2003, 08:42 AM
augiep38
My Feedback: (3)

I own a 100 sized engine from all 4 of the big manufacturers 3w-100TOC, DA100, BME 102. and ZDZ 80.

The one I hate the most is the BME simply because I have to ream the props out so they fit the shaft. I dislike the zdz to a degree because its just plain ugly.

The 3w and DA are a toss up with me. Neither has given any problems. I did have a 3w-80 twin that had the midrange problems when inverted.

Todd
Old 12-20-2003, 08:50 AM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: IanB
Seriously with the size of the 3w product line they must spend a lot more on R and D then any other engine manufacturer.

PS IF 3W COULD TURN OUT THE LEVEL OF QUALITY CONTROL AND AFTER SALES SERVICE AS DA..........THEY COULD CLEAN UP!
They spend too much time manufacturing and marketing, thats why they had to pull the 200 (not enough R & D before they started taking peoples money. Decided to let the customers test the engine).

And you're right, if they had the same quality control and after sales service as DA, they probably would clean up, but that is why this whole thread was started in the first place.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:07 AM
IanB

Why do the carb blocks warp.

Why cant 3w fix this STUPID problem

Why dont they just rip off the DA carb block and forget about it?

Anybody?
Old 12-20-2003, 12:59 PM
JLB

I suspect it's two fold. One is the material they use and the other is the
close proximity of the exhaust to the carb which applies a lot of heat
to the poorly chosen material. One of my flying buds and I bought 3W-100's
at the same time a couple of years ago. Within 3 hours they both started
running poorly and it was warped carb blocks. We made some new ones out of
aluminum and that cured that problem. I was not comfortable with them
because of heat transfer to the carb but so far we've been ok. Why don't
they just fix it ?? That's a darn good question. It certainly can't be a
lack of resources. Instead of coming out with new models of engines
I would think they would be better served to cure the problems with
the ones they have and then move forward as I suspect it's causing
them to lose significant business. They've sure got DA grinning !!!
Old 12-20-2003, 03:02 PM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

Mabey it's too much of thet good German beer[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-20-2003, 03:54 PM
JLB

Hey Otter, hows it going? You might be right about the beer or maybe it's
that famous German stubborn streak they're supposed to have. Whatever
it is, I have a nice shiny new DA hung on my 540 instead of the 106. Hehehehe.
I told you I was convinced.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:09 PM
0tter

Right on! Hope to get one of mine buzzin Sunday if the weather turns.... Nice that it dosent get too cold in Seattle, but the rain in the winter[] BTW, I DO love German BEER
Old 12-20-2003, 08:56 PM
IanB

ORIGINAL: JLB

Why don't
they just fix it ?? That's a darn good question. It certainly can't be a
lack of resources. Instead of coming out with new models of engines
I would think they would be better served to cure the problems with
the ones they have and then move forward as I suspect it's causing
them to lose significant business. They've sure got DA grinning !!!

EXACTLY.........any takers out there on this one..............I would really like to know????

Man it really is a shame because as I said before Id really like to TRY 3w again.........?

I just find it TOTALLY ridiculous that the LARGEST rc gas engine manufacturer in the WORLD is so slow in reacting to quality control/ design problems!!

Kindest regards IanB............
Old 12-20-2003, 09:30 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Ian,

I know how happy you are with your DA.....Forget about the 3W....The only thing that would be better than your DA is another DA that weighed the same as the BME XTREME
Old 12-20-2003, 10:17 PM
RTK

RIGHT-ON CAP! Just give BME some time to prove there durability. There is not much complaining about BME products that I can see here.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Mike Rojas

If all the 3W engine problems are due to the owners,why do the same people switch to DA and have no problems? Does something happen to them between the switch and they suddenly figure out how to tune/take care of an engine? 3W reminds me of that football player who told the owners for x amount I'll play,for xx amount i'll play better,for xxx amount i'll play great. DA puts their best effort into every engine and you get their best every time for the same price. Why does 3W offer so many options,QS,TOC,entry level etc.etc. that really bugs me. I like the idea of best quality and no option!
JMHO,Mike
Old 12-20-2003, 11:14 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

If all the 3W engine problems are due to the owners,why do the same people switch to DA and have no problems?

The MILLION DOLLAR question!!!
Old 12-21-2003, 12:06 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, also the reason so many make the switch
Old 12-21-2003, 09:21 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

WOW!!!!
I don't think there is anything left of that horse!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Diablo-RCU

Because when a DA engine goes dead or causes problems, they send it in and get it repaired. The owners don't get on the internet and blab about the lousy product which may or may not have been caused something the owner did. In the NC region while flying Imac last year, I saw only one engine that quit at a contest and needed to be sent in for repair. It happened to be a DA motor. That's a pretty good record for all the motors used, including 3W.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Mike Rojas

Sorry,but I just don't buy it. The way guys on this forum whine about every little thing that happens to them,you expect me to believe that when their 1400-1700$ engine quits they don't jump on here and write about it? Yet when their "Power House" 3W quits they can't wait to post it here. The same guys who complain that thier $5.00 Spad won't do an IMAC Pattern!! Nope,I just don't buy it.
Mike
Old 12-21-2003, 10:48 AM
0tter

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

Because when a DA engine goes dead or causes problems, they send it in and get it repaired. The owners don't get on the internet and blab about the lousy product........
Diablo, I started with 3W. My second (a 100) had problems from the start. I went almost 6 mo without a peep. During this time I had sent it in and paid bench fees while under warranty for some reason I still dont under stand!! Bought everything CA could shovel my way (Add ons and replacements) and was gullible enough to even buy a 106 after hanging up the phone and had a "I'm really not sure" conversation with my rep.

So now I cant tune my 106 either and back to the drawing board we go... Well guess what , I sold 'em and have a real bad attitude about the product and the "support" or lack of.

So maybe you are right, DA fixes them and thats the end, obviously not the case with 3W.

I say everyone who lost money on re-selling their 3W's should get a class action suit together and sue 3W for the losses!!!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

I chose the DA for a simple reason.

The 3W reps really bad mouthed the DA, and the DA reps told me that they where both good choices and to pick the one that fit my application better.

I just like straight up people.

P.S. I've not had any problems with my DA so I can't comment on customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.