Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Super Flying King twin-engined version

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Super Flying King twin-engined version

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Bob757FL
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Flying King twin-engined version

Hi Reg,
The Fowler flaps should be a great addition to your plane. A friend of mine put them on a giant skymaster and they looked great. I don't have the expertise or patience to do it. Like you explained, it does take some time and a lot of extra effort.

Thanks for the compliments on the trim scheme. It is cream and red, sort of antique looking.

We have finished covering the fuselage and are working on tail braces, with engine mounting, aileron and flap hookup, and radio installation etc. It required 12 rolls of Ultracote.

I would like to take credit for the STOL tips but that all goes to Bruce Tharpe. I elected the 79.95 optional tips which means Bruce does all the work for you and a perfect job he does. In fact, I emailed him the same day the box arrived complimenting him on the work of art that he does on those tips. The rest of the kit, as you know, is the same way. He is a class act. All that was required was a little fine sanding and a little thinned epoxy painted along the tips to strengthen them in case they get bumped.

Everyone at the field keeps asking how the "sky king" is coming along and I got tired of saying you mean the Super Flyin King? Thus, its nicknamed the Sky King.

The video camera should be a lot of fun. You have probably seen Jim Lukenbill's footage already. Pretty neat! The only other optional equipment, besides a bomb bay and doors, is smoke. Its that new digitally adjustable flow Sullivan Skywriter. I'm interested to see how well it works since ground-only manual adjustable ones have been pretty finicky in the past. With two engines on yours and all that wing, You can load it up with just about anything you can think of within reason. Are you using one tank or two?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73250.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	96693  
Old 02-02-2004, 05:34 PM
regmason
My Feedback: (2)

Bob,
Bruce Tharp would have probably liked to use Sky King but would have run into copyright problems with the old TV show. From your picture, it doesn't look like you are old enough to remember the Sky King TV show from the 50s. I couldn't agree with you more about Bruce's kit quality. This hobby could use more quality kit makers like him. Sure they cost a little bit more, but I got tired of all the cookie cutter ARFs and kits made in China. Bruce is a great guy to talk to and he is willing to give advice when needed. While I was typing, the UPS guy showed up with my custom wing kit that Bruce made for me. It is going on my RCS 215 cc radial-engined test plane (see threads or pic below). It is based on a German built plane that I saw in a video. I bought the engine last summer. Like your Sky King, everyone at my field wants to know when they will get to see the radial run.
I plan on using two tanks in the SFK twin. There is plenty of room in the engine nacelles. Each engine will have its own throttle servo. No bell cranks. I noticed in your picture a Hangar 9 Ultra Stik sitting on the table. I hate to tell you this, but that SFK wing will not fit (Ha Ha). You and I seem to have similar tastes in planes. My Stik has a G26 for power.
Well back to fowler city.

Reg Mason

Name:	Li20807.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	96735  
Old 02-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Bob757FL

OK Reg, That is one beautiful engine!
In case you had any doubt about which servos to use on your SFK, the combined area of ailerons and flaps alone are over 800 square inches. So, my initial impression was right: the flaps and ailerons have a combined area equal to most .40-.60 size sport plane wings. Big servos are in order here to move these against the airstream.
Take care,
Bob
Old 02-08-2004, 11:46 PM
cary c.

when i was at joe nall last year, i saw paster rick was flying a sky king with a DA-100 in it. yes that is right. it was being used as a jump plane for R/C sky divers. just thought you guys would like to know about it.

Cary C.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:37 AM
michaelburton01
My Feedback: (3)

Well, I got a great start on my SFK. Center section is all framed up, One outer panel framed, One outer panel finished. I do have the Twin kit but modified it for my own purposes. The Engine pods are moved out near the ends of the center section, Camera Bays.

I must give Bruce a big !! Ata Boy !! What a kit! The craftsmanship in the precut pieces in fantastic. Instructions are good. (Could use a few more pic's. But I ain't complaining.) Wood quality is excellent. And his GA glue is very high quality. (I took his recommendation of 1 thin, 1 thick. and 4 medium. Excellent glue. The blueprints are exceptional. Thank you Bruce! It's a pleasure to build.

mo later

Name:	Qo40685.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	98949  
Old 02-29-2004, 07:26 PM
regmason

SFK twin is still coming along. Nice weather has meant too much time at the field. But here is proof that something is getting done.

Reg Mason

Name:	Ge94528.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	106399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15543.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	106400  
Old 03-07-2004, 11:43 AM
michaelburton01

Hey REG ! Lookin good!
I've been able to put a lot of time into this project. While the SFK is a beautiful bird, built as it was intended. I am finding it lends itself very well as a utility vehicle. The modifications I am making are for my specific needs. The BIG R O O M Y cabin allows you to be creative. Hinging the control surfaces was made very easy with the GreatPlanes Slot Machine. I made my Tail feathers bolt on. I didn't mind the extra weight as the honkin twin up front is quit weighty. Construction is about done. Some final sanding, some tid bit things here and there to finish it up. I expect the first flight will be planned for the 14th of this month.
Michael

Name:	Ge95344.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	108723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70713.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	108724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57176.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	108725  
Old 03-07-2004, 11:47 AM
michaelburton01

more pics that missed the first round

Name:	Ge95424.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	108730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50467.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	108731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34558.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	108732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13466.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	108733  
Old 03-07-2004, 12:43 PM
michaelburton01

Weight, so far isn't to bad.
The wing weighs 10pound 2 ounces
tail feathers 1pound 2 oz
fuse 19 pounds 12 oz w/ engines
parts (Batterys, Radio,less covering) 8 pounds

39 pounds.

FYI
The engine w/ starter and battery is 9 pounds 12oz
Old 03-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Bob757FL

Micheal,
It's looking real nice so far. I noticed a hatch on top of the wing and was wondering what that will be used for. Also there is an extra support down the front of the windshield. I haven't flown mine yet but it does not have this extra support. I don't think the windshield will cave in but there is only one way to find out. What do you think of the wing joiners?
Bob

Name:	Ge95275.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	108811  
Old 03-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Bob757FL

Micheal, I forgot to mention how cool your cowl modification looks with the twin. That's the neat thing about this plane, whatever engine you use requires a different modification to the cowl making each one a little different, (see the RC Report G-62 version) unless you go with the exact setup that Bruce Tharpe used on his prototype. There is one on the BTEModels website that Jim Lukenbill finished with a Fox twin in it I believe. His cowl is completely different as well but still looks good. Will you use 2 cameras, one in each wing pod?
Bob
Old 03-07-2004, 04:14 PM
michaelburton01

The hatch on top is for the radio equipment and autopilot avionics. I'm mounting cameras in the wing nacelles, And an onboard VCR for the best picture clarity. It's amazing how small they have gotten in a portable vcr's/ The support in the windshield was just a bit I added, gave me something to do at that moment. I think the wing joiners are quite adequate. I would Imagine you would experience a structural failure before you break the Aluminum Joiner's As for slipping out while in flight.. I doubt thats a possibility. Unless you forget to tighten the screws. Then your on your own. In the event I happen to pull the threads on one, I drilled and tapped extra holes for the joiner bolts.

Michael
Old 03-07-2004, 05:51 PM
regmason

[]Bob and Mike,
I am quite jealous of you both and the progress you have made. That is what one gets when trying to work on several planes at once and spending too much time at the field flying. Bob's Sky King is a work of art and Michael's will be a flying avionics wonder of the modeling world. Mine, gentlemen, is a very large and well built paper weight. On a brighter note, I did finish my Fowler flap mock up. I am glad I took the time to do such, as I made several changes along the way. (pics below). My current concern is the weight of the G-38s and the vibration of the wing center section. I am a little concerned about using dowels to hold the front of the wing in place. I usually cover my wooden dowels with brass tubing to cut down on wear, but what I would really like to do is use 3/8 bolts into the leading edge of the wing. The problem is access through the front windshield. It would have to be removable and there is not a lot of clearance at the holes. To combat vibration and give added strength to the wing, my plan is to glass the entire center section in addition to Bruce's recommendation to sheet it entirely. Mike, are you still planning on using gyros? I plan on using a couple of JR 500As. Twinman has convinced me. I have waking nightmares about a single engine failure and a SFK spiraling to earth. Keep up the good work and I will try my best to catch up.

Reg

Name:	Om33446.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	108830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72042.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	108831  
Old 03-07-2004, 06:34 PM
michaelburton01

Reg,
Yes a 2 axis gyro is still planned. It's makes landing in heavy winds a bit easer. Also I read that you could use 3/8 Alum rod (Ace Hardware) for the wing dowels. Great Looking flaps by the way!

Bob,
The funky looking cowl is my best effort at giving it some shape. It ended up looking like a tractor hood, but I don't care. It's gonna be green and yellow. It will be my flying tractor. Jim's cowl looks to be a work of art. Very nice. And yep 2 cameras. Plans for 4 total with ability to switch between each.

Michael
Old 03-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Bob757FL

Reg,
The fowler flaps are looking great. I have only seen them on one other model, a 31% Skymaster and they worked beautifully. The gyro option is certainly going to be money well spent because it is only a matter of time before an engine fails. Look at Bruce's site - he had a deadstick on the first flight! This is why we are going to take it out to the biggest field around with few obstacles for the maiden flight.

My friend and I took the plane out last week to run the engine for the first time and got to see the vibrations first hand. At very low idling speeds, the 3W-75 shakes the airframe like crazy. I only tightened one of the wing panels and just left the other one lightly screwed in. All four bolts vibrated themselves completley out by the time we were done getting the engine tuned on that side. None of the ones that were tightened on the other wing had loosened. So this was a great lesson in the value of careful preflighting when it actually does fly! Tightened screws stay that way; untightened screws WILL cause a disaster in a very short time.

So, I understand your concern about vibrations with 2 engines mounted not in the cowl but in the wings right next to the joiners. I saw your 6-32 setup with double the amount of screws and that is certainly the best way to go. With some thread locker on them, I don't think you will be having any problems at all. Like you said about the wing joiners being strong enough, I think the wing dowels will be plenty strong just the way they are. I don't think a human (or 2 G-38's)could rip those out through the plywood F-3 holes especially since it is reinforced. The fiberglass will be a nice reinforcement for your equipment and those engines. That middle section is going to feel like a solid board when you are done!

Keep us posted on the your progress. I want to see those fowler flaps when they are installed! Maybe we should all meet up and have a SFK fly-in.
Anyone seen or heard of Jim Lukenbill's SFK lately?
Bob
P.S. Thanks for the compliments, too.
The only options I put on it were smoke and cargo doors. Everything else is almost exactly by the book except for elevator servo placement.

Name:	Sq46583.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	108850  
Old 03-09-2004, 01:28 AM
michaelburton01

Bob,
Whats your SFK weigh ?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:01 AM
regmason

Bob,
What Bruce did not show was another safety measure I added. In the same access hatch for the joiner screws are bolts that pull the outer wing panels tightly together with the center section. I was not concerned with the dowels pulling out through the ply former. I was more concerned with wear weakening the dowels. I will probably use my old method of covering them with brass tubing. I think the SFK fly-in is a great idea. You may have to wait a while for me. Where is the problem. I think Luckenbill is in Canada. I know of Kings in California, Louisiana, Illinois, Florida and Oklahoma. I guess we could let Bruce decide.

Reg

Name:	Bz78903.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	109480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87203.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	109481  
Old 03-09-2004, 12:53 PM
shawnkappner
My Feedback: (40)

Gents,

Our club is building two of these bad boys. The first is now complete and had it's maiden flights. I attached a photo. It has a new G-62 swinging a Zinger 24x6 prop. It weighs 36 pounds. The first fight was a real treat but I will say that there is no excess power with a G-62! Even with being a little tail heavy (we will fix that) it had no bad flight tendancies other than flying a little nose high. You all will have a ball with it!!!

Name:	Ge95665.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	109598  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Bob757FL

Shawn, thanks for the picture and information on your clubs' SFK. Where are you located? Very nice job. I think you need more sponsors, though. Your's came out nice and light.

Michael, it came out at 41 lbs. The smoke system probably adds 1 pound, the cargo bay another pound, stol tips probably another half pound and 3W-75 another 1 lb. It starts adding up quick. I'm looking forward to hearing your overall weight numbers for the Ag Scout. It should be a pretty hefty monster with all of the equipment you'll have in it.

Reg, your wing joiner looks pretty effective. Between 8 screws on each side plus the horizontal one, your wings aren't going anywhere. Have you heard of anyone having any problems with the single engine version getting loose constructed as planned?
Bob
Old 03-10-2004, 06:20 PM
regmason

Bob,
Bruce had told me he was losing sleep worrying about the wing joiners coming loose. I think it had more to do with the twin engined version. There will be a lot more vibration with the engines only a foot away from the joiners. I had already added the extra screws. He suggested going to 6-32 (or was it the other way around). Anyway, I added the horizontal bolts so that Bruce could get a good night's sleep.

Reg
Old 03-13-2004, 03:55 PM
michaelburton01

Update !
Fuse is covered (not trimmed yet) and the powerplant is snug in it's new home, just begging to be fired up. My cowl, has the "John Deere Tractor" look I was going for. By the way, I was able to cover the fuse and tail with one 25' roll of Monokote. I have maybe 2 feet left on the roll and very little waste in scrap. I hadn't covered a plane in well over 20 some years. Not bad, just like riding a bike. I used Coverite Balsarite in the engine compartment and on places I didn't want the covering to pull away from like hatch areas and pushrod exits etc. Great stuff. I also used some light Alum sheet on the firewall. (.002) With a covering iron I was able to attach the sheet to the balsarite coated firewall.

Michael

Name:	Jh16027.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	111027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32189.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	111028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74474.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	111029  
Old 03-13-2004, 03:59 PM
michaelburton01

the firewall

Name:	Ge95632.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	111036  
Old 03-31-2004, 10:58 PM
Bob757FL

Default SFK First Flight

Well, after 2 weathered out attempts, today's third attempt for a maiden flight
of the Sky King went very well. What a cool airplane. My building partner and friend
who successfully fought off cancer during the building of this model was the designated
test pilot from the start.

We decided to use no-flaps since that is what both of us are used to for takeoff
and landing, at least for the first flight. It required some down trim and
right aileron for hands-off. He got up to altitude and slowed down for some slow
flight and to test the flaps. The wind had picked up over 15 knots and was
getting gusty so he decided to not do full stalls. The JR 10X has a 3 position
flap switch that automatically adjusts the elevator down when the flaps are
extended. We decreased the auto flap-trim just little bit from the factory
setting on both half and full settings and it, by chance, ended up being exactly
perfect. No pitching up with flap extension or down due to too much elevator
trim. In fact it was almost unnoticable except that the plane slowed down even
more with the throttle not being touched. The flaps were retracted at the now
much slower speed and I figured it might stall on John but it didn't. So
further testing on a calmer day will be necessary to see exactly where it does
stall. John continued making a few race track patterns then tested the cargo
doors well upwind. Out came the 2 dollar Toys-R-Us parachute guy. After the chute landed,
John then handed me the transmitter.

I accomplished the same flap tests at slow speeds as I have no RC flap
experience. Nice, controllable, and uneventful. Roll rates. The 3 position "dual rate" aileron switch was progammed for
slightly less than recommended, slightly more than recommended, and then alot
more than recommended. Roll rates were quite slow and forgiving on the low
setting and what I would consider just right on mid rate. Adverse yaw was noticable at both settings. I did not try high rate. The huge wings and a large aileron hanging down on the outer wing panel in the wind really made it want to
slip through the turns. I think differential aileron (more up than down) is
in order as we programmed very little of this in. Or else learn to use rudder for coordinated turns! I've never really noticed this
in any other RC planes before so I figured it really wasn't necessary. I was wrong. Maybe that's why setting up differential ailerons was clearly recommended in the directions by Bruce.

I went to try an aileron roll on low rates and decide that it was rolling too
slow to complete and rolled back out. Mid rates were much better. With down
elevator fed in during the inverted portion, the nose stayed right on a point.
Very cool! I have to do that some more on future flights. Some low slow passes
to enjoy our completed project working as advertised. Going down wind it
covered the distance of the fairly large field in no time at all. Like was
mentioned in other flight reports, its size makes it appear to be moving slow
but it isn't! Upwind passes produced much slower groundspeed and more time to
enjoy it. We decided not to push the envelope with more aerobatics and instead, land
and check the security of the wing joiner screws. I handed the transmitter back
to John who set up for a long shallow no-flap approach. He touched down very
nice, a brief wheel landing and then the tail settled on. He used much more
of the field than either of us thought would be necessary. We were glad we went
to the more distant larger field than try it out at our smaller field with
concrete landing pad. We both decided to come back to this field to try half
flap takeoffs and landings before going to our own smaller field.

The smoke system was not tried as the wind would have blown it away quickly
anyway. That and some nice big loops will be on the list for the next flight.

What a great day! My wife and daughter came out and watched too. I think she
was more nervous than me. And I will admit that I did have weak knees after
flying it this first time. John, the retired Marine, would never admit to that
but he did run to the porta-john as soon as I started priming the engine. He
told numerous people what a great kit BTE makes and what a joy it has been
building it. That it has been! This successful maiden flight after John's
successful chemo treatment make this a very happy ending. Thanks for supplying
such a wonderful project for us to take on Bruce.

Sincerely,
Bob LeBlanc

P.S.
The 3W-75i started on the second flip after the priming turns. What a nice, smooth, quiet idle. The transition is perfect.
Absolutely no more engine adjustments after the engine-run day. Its quiet idle with low
bass putt-putt sound makes it all the more impressive when you slowly advance
the throttle to full open.

P.S.S. The wing joiner screws all held in place. 7/8 for sure did not move at all. The 8th one might have moved 1/8 turn but maybe it was just not as tight to begin with. The wing joiner method works!

Name:	Ja81053.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	117428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58417.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	117429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23224.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	117430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd90073.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	117431  
Old 04-01-2004, 12:59 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: SFK First Flight

You guys are wicked!!!!! Your planes are really outstanding and have enjoyed this build and look forward to more. Now about Bruce, what can I say? I do know him personally and all you say about him is true, what a true gentleman he is and his kits are way above anything out there. I have done a few of his Venture 60's and what a pleasure it is to build a good quality kit, Bruce you da man!!!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:49 AM
michaelburton01

Default RE: SFK First Flight

BRAVO !
I was rivited to your every word. I can't wait to experience this first hand for myself very soon.

AttaBoy Bob!

Super Flying Kings Rule!

All other plankers drool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.