Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Wild Hare Edge First Flight

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wild Hare Edge First Flight

I placed a bigger engine in my PW Extra and was having the same problem with it that I am having with the WH Edge. Today, I put a bigger propeller on my PW Extra and the problem has decreased considerably. I am going to order a new propeller for my WH and see if it fixes it. I really don't want to do anything to the engine/thrust angle.

ORIGINAL: rctom

ORIGINAL: Are you also saying that an AFT CG makes the left thrust moment of the engine more pronounced?
I did not do a thorough analysis, I just noticed that it was easier to make it go where I wanted with some added weight on the nose.

I flew the plane in an IMAC contest last October and did not do very well. Later that week I noticed that the 4 oz. weight I had added to the plane was gone, had fallen off, so I replaced it and tried flying my sequences again. It made a big difference, but I don't remember left or right, just that it mattered.

TF
Old 12-30-2003, 08:51 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Miles, you also have to realize, with a plane with a thrust to weight ratio, and a speed envelope, such as with this Edge, you will not have pefect tracking at all speeds and attitudes, you have to fly the rudder as well as all the other control surfaces. If you designed a plane for zero airspeed, i.e. hovering, waterfalls, and other "stationary 3D maneuvers" you would need max right thrust. Conversely, if you have a plane designed to go 200 mph all the time, you would need minimum right thrust. The Edge spends time in the air with a speed envelope from a little negative to plus around 60 mph probably, so you have to find a sweet medium for your right thrust, and use the rudder for the rest.
DKjens
Old 12-30-2003, 09:06 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Miles, can you measure how much right thrust is built into the WH Edge firewall ? I notice that you are using some kind of wood dowel as spacers ?
Old 12-31-2003, 07:46 AM
Geistware

DK, yes I do know this. That is why I prop my plane for max thrust not speed. The only time I go to anything like max throttle is on uplines. For over two years, I have been practicing throttle management and in IMAC contests I scored all 10's for sound. So these things you mention and talk about I agree 100%. I also know that many times what you will see as a left thrust problem is wind at altitude, unwanted rudder input with throttle input, or unbalanced control surfaces. I know all of this and that is why before I made the decision of adding any right thrust, I checked all of these. Nothing change. My only thought now after my experence with the PW Extra is to change from a Zinger 22x6-10 propeller to a 24x8 Airwild NX propeller or a MSC 24x8 propeller. I plan to order a couple today and they should be here next week.

Following experiments with the new propeller, I will make the decision on change the engine thrust.

ORIGINAL: DKjens

Miles, you also have to realize, with a plane with a thrust to weight ratio, and a speed envelope, such as with this Edge, you will not have pefect tracking at all speeds and attitudes, you have to fly the rudder as well as all the other control surfaces. If you designed a plane for zero airspeed, i.e. hovering, waterfalls, and other "stationary 3D maneuvers" you would need max right thrust. Conversely, if you have a plane designed to go 200 mph all the time, you would need minimum right thrust. The Edge spends time in the air with a speed envelope from a little negative to plus around 60 mph probably, so you have to find a sweet medium for your right thrust, and use the rudder for the rest.
DKjens
Old 12-31-2003, 09:29 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: My only thought now after my experence with the PW Extra is to change from a Zinger 22x6-10 propeller to a 24x8 Airwild NX propeller or a MSC 24x8 propeller. I plan to order a couple today and they should be here next week.
Try it with a 22-10, that's what I usually use. Definitely a different feel to the plane. With those larger dia. props a change in thrust angle may very well be needed.

Tom Fawcett
WHRC
Old 12-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Geistware

Rajul, thanks for mentioning this
I measured the thrust angle at 2.6 degrees.
I am asking Tom what is it suppose to be by design.
I have ordered two 24x8NX propellers that will be in next week.
We shall see where this leads.
Has anyone else measured their right thrust angle?

ORIGINAL: rajul
Miles, can you measure how much right thrust is built into the WH Edge firewall ? I notice that you are using some kind of wood dowel as spacers ?
Old 12-31-2003, 11:35 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Been lurking in the back round just reading the posts. Seems like Geistware & DK are the only ones in the air. So far I'm glad to hear the positive comments about the flight characteristic's of the plane. Good work, Miles.

On the smoke muffler question, if your using a gas engine any muffler will get hot enough to produce good smoke. You can take the stock DA muffler or a after market Pitts and drill & tap it for smoke. Or you can buy a after market Pitts already drilled & tapped for smoke. You don't need a Pre heater with a gasoline engine. Any muffler that fits will work.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Geistware

I can't believe out of all the people out there that purchased this plane, that DK and I are the only two in the air. I have 10 flights on mine and would put more, but this is my back-up plane and the first IMAC of the SE region is Feb 7. I need to learn the routine
Old 01-01-2004, 08:36 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Geistware:

I'm with you on that one also. I had thought everyone was in a hurry to get this plane in the air. Personally, even if mine was ready there's too much snow, cold and slop to fly. It will have to wait for spring, but all you guys/gals that live in a year round warm climate I'm surprised at. Of course a lot of folks are still busy with the holidays, but now that it's come to an end I think we'll see more flight reports. DK just wrote another flight report (elsewhere on RCU) and it was very informative. The way he describes the flight of the WH Edge it sounds like this plane is a keeper. Kudos to Tom for a good design.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Geistware

Yes, DK's post is here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...089&tostyle=tm
He had a guy who knows 3D to fly it and it was great. Tom has flown it in IMAC and that is more what I am interested in. I have flown the sportsman routine with it and it responds very well. All in all this is a keeper and I would recommend that anyone interestedin a plan in the 50cc class to purchase one.