Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Useing Heat and Windex to apply monokote graphics

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Useing Heat and Windex to apply monokote graphics

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Johnnylightning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Useing Heat and Windex to apply monokote graphics

And yet, another masterpiece! You've once again, outdone yourself!!!

*Q: You mentioned using "Ultracoat" for the base and I noticed that you're using black for the top of the wing. Well, we know how dark color covering reacts under direct sunlight. Is Ultracoat not affected in this way? I mean, will it not wrinkle and sag out at the field?

You're very talented. Your creations ROCK and should be displayed in a museum. Thanks for sharing your insight!!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:40 AM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

thanks johnny,
no your right, the black absorbs the light/heat where the whites and other colors reflect light/heat, this is one your gonna want to keep in the shade when not flying it.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:54 AM
777M8

G..,
Could you tell us (or show a pic) of what your prefered covering and cutting tools are?

BBill
Old 01-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

So you CAN use Windex to apply Monokote OVER Ultracote but you cant use Windex to apply Ultracote over another piece of Monokote or Ultracote??
Old 01-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Johnnylightning

Red, I don't think opaque Ultracoat will work with on any surface due to its porous, adhesive backside. Not sure as I haven't tried the technique myself, however that's what I've gathered.

Let's wait 'n see what the Professor has to say...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:53 PM
TERMAGATOR

ORIGINAL: Johnnylightning

Red, I don't think opaque Ultracoat will work with on any surface due to its porous, adhesive backside. Not sure as I haven't tried the technique myself, however that's what I've gathered.

I have heard that Ultracot + will laydown with windex and stay. I havent tried it yet, I have tried regular ultracoat, but that stuff just curled up on me the next day. I have used windex with success on Econokote and 21stCentury film

Bill I'll take a pic of the tools I use and post it here...G
Old 01-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: TERMAGATOR

I have heard that Ultracot + will laydown with windex and stay. I havent tried it yet, I have tried regular ultracoat, but that stuff just curled up on me the next day. I have used windex with success on Econokote and 21stCentury film

Bill I'll take a pic of the tools I use and post it here...G

I guess what Im asking is that you cant use a piece of Ultracote with windex on top of another piece of Ultracote but you CAN use Monokote/Windex on top of a piece of Ultracote[&:]
Old 01-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Balsa Master

Default RE: RE: Useing Heat and Windex to apply monokote graphics

you mean if the ultracote is the base and the monokote is going on over it? yea that will work.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Balsa Master

you mean if the ultracote is the base and the monokote is going on over it? yea that will work.

YES!! Thats exactly what I mean!!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:37 AM
TERMAGATOR

I have done this :
I layed down some transparent ultracoat with windex, then came back the next day and ironed it down with very LOW heat...G
Old 01-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Josey Wales

I have done this :
I layed down some transparent ultracoat with windex, then came back the next day and ironed it down with very LOW heat...G
That sounds like a good idea I am going to use transparent ultracote on my current project and will try that first before using the monokote..
Old 02-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Johnnylightning

I almost forgot, this small pieces of trans red where stuck in place with windex, then I came back the next day and used heat at a low temp setting so as not to blister the opague covering. The oapgue red was also layed down the same night, so trying to iron down the trans red would have really been bad new on the windex
Q: Does the trim solvent not work on the trans colors of either brand? In other words, if I place a piece of trans material on top of opaque or other trans, is it absolutely nessesary to use heat? If so, what temp?

Q: If I place a large piece of trans (dark color) over another piece of trans (light color), and then use heat, will any imperfections be visible, or does this method only work with trans on opaque?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:03 PM
TERMAGATOR

I almost forgot, this small pieces of trans red where stuck in place with windex, then I came back the next day and used heat at a low temp setting so as not to blister the opague covering. The oapgue red was also layed down the same night, so trying to iron down the trans red would have really been bad new on the windex
Q: Does the trim solvent not work on the trans colors of either brand? In other words, if I place a piece of trans material on top of opaque or other trans, is it absolutely nessesary to use heat? If so, what temp?

Q: If I place a large piece of trans (dark color) over another piece of trans (light color), and then use heat, will any imperfections be visible, or does this method only work with trans on opaque?

Q1:not heat is necessary useing monokote, trim solvent should work with trans mono colors. Ultracoat will lay down with windex and it might try to fool you to make you think its will stay, but when useing Ultracoat , if I lay a large peice down with windex, I come back the next day and iron down at a low heat, say 150-200 F

Q2:I have done this on my burrito, its has ultracoat flames made of trans red and trans lite violet, I applied it with windex just to get it where I wanted it then came back later and ironed it down , I did get some imperfections because I was in a hurry, had the iron too hot and there had still been so windexresidue under the covering.

Heres what I would do if you want to try and use trans ultracoat. I'd lay it down with windex and let it sit overnight, then come back the next day and iron down low temp, I would still do trim solvent even thought it was designed for monokote, for all i know it may have no effect at all on ultracoat, but I do it anyway. Ive had a few instances where covering has blown off, but it was small peices like part of a letter or something like that, there is a pic on here somewhere of my HOME DEPOT SLEDGE makeing a KE pass the "O" in home , part of it is missing, but it was done with so-lite..

Hope this helps...Gator
Old 02-10-2004, 06:26 PM
themanimal
My Feedback: (1)

So just for the newbi who is finishing up covering his super chipmunk with monokote and applying the graphics with monokote as well....

I can precut the monokote graphics, apply them with windex and a CC, hit the edges with some monokote trim solvent and be done with it...

By the way, those planes look amazing. I pitty the man that crashes one of those things
Old 02-10-2004, 06:38 PM
themanimal
My Feedback: (1)

Ok guys, so I actually used the search engine to answer my own question. Can you believe it!!

Anyways, its a great thread and some super duper looking planes.

Time to make some dust..
Old 05-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Boogie

Is there something else that you can use instead of Windex. I don't hink that you can buy exactly the same product in Poland over here.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Boogie

Sorry I have found the answer in the other thread.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:56 PM
SnailPowered

This is the most inspiring and informative post I have read so far. I have built a few planes in the past and as I sit in Iraq and wish I were flying I have decided that I really need a bipe. So I plan on buying a GP Ultimate Bipe and laying down and Arizona flag so that when it is nose is down the flag will be in the correct position. Any hints or tips? I think the wings will be a blue base but the fuse will be several layers separately. Thank! AWESOME work!!!

PFC Elijah Sedig

PFC stands for Poor F...use your imagination I'm in the Army...Civilian!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60.../tm.htm#603331

Heres a great post on doing a flag design. Although rather than a bipe, I think profiles probably have the best wing shape for a flag bc they tend to be more squared.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 AM
somegeek

Thanks TERMAGATOR - this newbie appreciates you taking the time to post these pics. Inspiring!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Ailron

What type of surface are you cutting on ?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I always use a piece of glass and a new razor with a good metal straight edge to cut monokote. Comes out great.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Rod Bender

Awesome Thread,

After being out of the hobby for almost 16yrs, and not having done monokote in over 20yrs, I've been working on a new plane the past 2 days (Snowed in) I just stopped for lunch about an hour ago with the hopes of finding a how to thread on doing monokote. I bought an arf, and am applying red over the white wings for some color and design. The problem I'm having is little air bubbles here and there. I've only done some work on the bottom of the wing, trying to improve my technique before doing the topside. Gators Windex idea sounds like the ticket for my issue. How long do you guys let the Windex set and dry before putting an iron to it? I'm done with the bottom and the elev & rudder trim. But I want some input BEFORE I attempt the top. I know this is an art, I used to be pretty good back in the early 70's, but boy has the past 2 days been long ones ..... Any input appreciated.... Greg\Rod Bender
Old 03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
krazycdn

Windex is good but will never totall be contaminant free I use a drp of sunlight dish soap in 1 cup of water and spray that. Sunlight will break down and leave no contaminants.
kelly
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
fishmissile2000

Hey, I'm impressed, one question if you know about it is 21st century covering is does not seem to want to stretch or shrink very well I thought it was a good product and bought 3 rolls for an EAA Bipe seems like once it stretches it hardens after being heated and stetched any ideas or should I just buy monokote what i'm used to. Thanks for your time anybody respond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.