Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Neon Monocote?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Neon Monocote?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 02:54 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Neon Monocote?

Originally posted by phughes
When that happens pull it off and start over again . . .
That's another reason I use Ultracote... Have you ever tried to REMOVE MonoKote? They claim that it's inability to be removed once it's applied is a GOOD thing. I say it's a nightmare.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:15 PM
RCdad29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on Neon Monocote

Unfortunately the prognosticators predicted quite accurately- The top surfaces faded on the first day in the sun. Most notable were the "lines" that were "drawn" by the rubber bands holding the wing in place.

The pink seems to fade faster than the orange, but the one isn't too far behind the other. I figure I'll be replacing it all by the end of next season if I don't get a crack at it due to a "re-kitting" first.

I did try the car wax, and while I think it would work, it got mostly removed by the 2 stroke exhaust. Also, I had to re-apply after every post flight cleaning. A bit much fuss at the end of the day for me at this point.

On a positive note: Manufacturer aside, neon colors (not necessarily the colors I chose :-) ) were definitely a good choice for my trainer. With few exceptions, the craft is VERY visible in the sky. Also, it affords everyone else at the field to know exactly where I'm at in the sky so they can avoid my learning antics.

L8r,
Kent.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Default Neon Monocote?

Well, the colors suckered me in again.......

......UltraCoat Fluorescent (safety) Yellow and Fluorescent Magenta.

The wing bottom will be fluorescent Lime and chrome strips.

I'm going to give it another try and keep it waxed-up!

At least I'll be able to see it for a few flights....LOL

Old 08-18-2002, 10:30 PM
HRay

Default My Experience

I won 3 rolls of flourescent pink Monokote in a fun fly. Covered my Uproar with it and in a few flying sessions began to notice fading. The color on the bottom of the plane is close to original, but the sun sure did its number on the top. I understand that for these colors to work well, they need a white backing. I noticed that when covering the Uproar. This I'm sure is what contributes to the thickness and weight. Bottom line for me: It's more trouble than it's worth. YMMV.

M
Old 08-20-2002, 01:05 AM
Vulturetec

Default Neon Monocote?

I used several different Neon colors on this project (see attached picture) - base Neon Yellow, Neon Red, and Neon Green. The yellow faded quite a bit, but is still FAR brighter than any of the other yellows I've seen. The green is still vibrant, as is the red. You can see a huge difference in the wing center-section area that was shielded from the sun.

I think the thing to remember is the colors will lose their impact, but will still be very very bright even after they've faded.

The yellow didn't seem to stick as well as other monokote products, but other than that I didn't have any problems at all using the stuff.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:16 PM
kayee2501

Default RE: Neon Monocote?

SALES Neon Blue Tire Wheel Lights for Honda Civic/CRX/Accord/Prelude Accura Integra/RSX/TSX/MDX/NSX Harley Davidson Bike Motorcycle Bicycle

ONLY $15.95 per Set of 2 Lights

FREE SHIPPING/HANDLING FEES.

Contact us at [email protected] for payment instruction.