ASP .61 eating glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 03:46 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP .61 eating glow plugs

Richard39

I have a ASP .61 which is about 10 years old but has very little time on it, may be 8-10 hrs. runtime. Reason being, the engine was for years very unreliable and would only run marginal, so I boxed it up for a number of years, until someone suggested to install a OS # 8 plug and try it. What a difference, that ASP turned with the best of them. Give a OS # 8 a try, it may work for you too.
BTW: I replaced the ASP .61 with a S.T. .90 for better performance and the ASP is for sale.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help..... I have now found that the engine has metal fragments inside... The liner appears to be flaking away... these metal specs are hitting the glow plug and causing them to short out... Will now sell the engine for parts...
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Richard:

Please pull the head and back plate, see if the bearing ball cage has come apart, and if the liner is indeed peeling.

If the ball cage has failed it's going to destroy the liner, but if the liner has peeled without foreign object damage it will be the first SY made engine (Magnum, ASP, RCV, and SY brands) I've heard of with a liner failure.

Thanks.

Bill.