Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Canopy Gluing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Canopy Gluing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Dr. Wine
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Gluing

Try using a product called Life-Seal made by Boat Life marine sealants. You can find it at a boating supply store. I've even saw it a Wal-Mart in the New Orleans area. It is clear, dries clear, has a stronger adhesion than silicon, mildew resistant and you can use it "above or below the water line". It will not turn yellow or corrode either and will stick to about anything that is clean.

Another marine product that I use is 3M 5200 or 4200 polyurathane sealant. It comes is several colors and whatever you use it on, make damn sure you never want to remove it. It stays flexible. The 5200 is the strongest and the 4200 is half as strong. They come in a fast cure formulation, which I recommend. The slow cure takes a day or too. This stuff is messy and the only solvent you can use is acetone.

Oh yea, the directions say that once you break the seal and open the tube you must use the whole thing because it will continue to cure inside the tube, however I've learned that if you tightly wrap it with aluminum foil and put it in the back of you refrigerator it will keep for a few months.

A regular size tube(caulking gun) sells for approx. $12.00 and the small squeeze tube sells for about $8.50. Not cheap but strong as an ox. I once saw a new 150 hp outboard glued to a transom of a boat, given 5 days to cure, and the boat ran in the Gulf of Mexico without loosing the engine. There were NO bolts holding the engine on the boat.