Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aerotech Velox II ARF Review...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aerotech Velox II ARF Review...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Jecarte
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerotech Velox II ARF Review...

No updates so I canceled mine and ordered the EF Yak 87". The Yaks are in port from what I hear so it should only be a few days before I have a new plane. I'm sure the Velox is a great plane I just can't wait expecially when there is no info on the web site, no instruction manual, or indepth pics.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:20 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I dunno...I think there's more going on over at Aerotech than meets the eye. Sure, I understand these guys are gonna have delays and are going to run behind...but it this thread reads the same as what I went through trying to order one of the Yak kits.
I finally pulled the plug on the order because I got tired of the excuses.

I got on the list for one of the first runs of the Yak back in August of '04. I was told at that time to expect delivery around the middle of December. When the middle of December came and went, I emailed to ask for an update. I got a prompt reply saying they should ship the beginning of January. That date came and went again with no word so I emailed again...was told it would be a couple more weeks. John said the kits were cut and ready to go, he was just waiting on the cowl and canopies to complete the kits. Again the date he gave me came and went so I emailed a third time.....this time asking if he could just ship the wood and foam and that I would be very happy to wait a few more months to get the cowl because I would need at least that long to build the airframe. John emailed back and agreed to ship the kit minus the cowl/canopy and said he would ship it the following week. So the 4th date passed with no notice and I email yet again asking for an update and I was told again he would ship it the following week.

At this point it was obvious a pattern was developing and I felt I was being told whatever I wanted to hear just to keep me waiting longer. So I waited one more week and when again I received no notice that the shipment was delayed or going out. I sent one last email asking that if it was not possible to ship the kit when promised then I would prefer to just cancel the order. I was surprised when I got an email back confirming the cancellation. John explained again that the kits were ready to go and he was just waiting for the cowl and canopy to ship it. This didn't make any sense since he had agreed just 2 weeks ago to ship the kit minus the cowl/canopy. I'm just surprised a company would be willing to lose a sale when the kits are ready to go and just waiting on a couple of smaller parts....especially when the customer agreed to receive a partial shipment first and still pay the full price up-front!

So in the end, I'm left confused, disappointed, and wondering what my next 35% project will be.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:13 PM
selwyn
My Feedback: (19)

jmiracle I tend to agree with you...I too have spoken to Aerotech a number of times and heard a similar story to yours...what puzzles me even more is that they are selling the Yak kits, however I have never even seen a pic of the prototype...it is one thing seeing a drawn sideview, but I myself would like to see the lines of the built kit before parting with my $$$'s. I am not saying Aerotech are bad, as there are many guys on the list which rave about their planes, it's like buying a vehicle...you don't buy it from pics in the newspaper, you wanna see the thing. BTW I see Carden have a pic of their new Yak up on the website...more money, but at least it's there!!! sorry to have hijacked this thread, I know it was about the Velox.[]
Old 02-12-2005, 08:39 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I can attest to the quality of the Aerotech kits. I have built quite a few. They are first rate. I too don't have pictures as it was before I picked up my digital camera. I bought the BME edge so I'de have a 50cc plane to fly for the winter. I left my order stand for the Velox as I believe it will be a winner. John runs a small company.. keep that in mind.

As John also has mentioned, he is a small fish in a big pond. There are many US suppliers overwhelming the supply chain .. and the big guys get the goods. I tend to get impatient too, but alas, I have several other planes to fly and I can fly more or less year -round. If I could only have one plane, I probably would have moved on.

I just hope my patience pays off.. I was a bit disappointed in the BME edge... its a nice plane, but I had to do a lot to get it right and (of course) it was heavier than advertised.

I believe the Extreme Flight Yak and Aerotech Velox II both will be light builds.. very important to me. I almost bought the YAK too, but I don't really need THREE 50CC planes.. I only have on DA50!!

DP
Old 02-12-2005, 10:24 PM
jmiracle

Well, again I understand Aerotech is a small company and may have to work a little harder to get supplies. But Carden, Aeroworks and others aren't nearly as big as Horizon Hobby or Great Planes yet they seem to have been able to deliver kits when they promised. And again...I know it's not the same thing....and I truely do understand and believe John is working very hard to catch up.

In my mind it all comes down to integrity....doing what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it. It was obvious John could not ship the kit in the time frame he repeatedly told me he would....yet he never seemed to want to admit that to me. I probably would still be waiting patiently for the kit if he had just been upfront with me about what was going on and given me a realistic date for when it would ship.

It got to the point where each week I was promised the kit would ship the following week. How many times should I say "ok, next week will be different"? I feel I had been very patient and thought I had made it clear I understood the delays in receiving the glass work. It just doesn't make sense to me that he would tell me the kits were cut and ready go to minus 'glass....even go so far as to tell me he would ship the kit minus the outsourced parts with the understanding they would arrive a month or two later. Then continue to tell me the same story each week....with a different excuse for why it didn't ship each time.

One week it was because he was boxing up a number of kits that would ship all at the same time....fine, I'll wait a little longer since it makes sense for him to do things in batches like that. The next week I'm told it didn't go out cause he's short on help.....again, fine, things happen. Then the next time it's like he forgot what we had agreed upon earlier and he tells me again he's waiting for outsourced parts and he'll ship it when those arrive. I've sent an email reminding him of that agreement, but have not yet received a response. I'm not sure that it matters now as he has already told me he cancelled my order.

Oh well...it is just a hobby...time to go find the next great toy!
Old 02-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Jecarte

I'm glad to see everyone’s opinion, but small company or not it only takes a few items to satisfy customers. The web site is the main selling avenue these days, if you don’t have current updates, information, and pictures of your product then you will remain a small company. [&o]

It felt like I was bothering Aerotech when I called for info, I’m sure they are busy, but I can’t afford 4 or 5 big gas airplanes like some people, so when I call about a little cheap 50CC ARF I should still get the same attention as the big guys. I haven’t heard anything bad about the quality of the kits, but I want the assurance of knowing the company I buy from has good service.

jmiracle, your story really scares me. []
Old 02-12-2005, 10:36 PM
jmiracle

And honestly, that's the last thing I want to do. In a way, I really feel bad about this because I have never read anything bad about Aerotech's kits....everybody raves about them! I've even had the chance to check out several up-close and was impressed with the design and quality. It was because of those experiences that I felt confident enough to go ahead and order a Yak even though John never posted a picture of one.

In hindsight...what I find extremely odd is that John originally told me there was a $100 deposit (but refundable) to get on the waiting list for the Yak. He never did charge me the $100. I even emailed him a couple times early on when I noticed the charge never came through...he assured me then that I was on the list, but that he just never got around to charging me the deposit.

It's almost like he knew even then that there was going to be a major delay in shipping the Yaks, so he didn't even bother to charge for a deposit since there was probably a good chance the customer would get impatient and cancel.

ORIGINAL: gotshocked
jmiracle, your story really scares me. []
Old 02-12-2005, 10:43 PM
jmiracle

I couldn't agree more....I would have been more than happy to have received the kit in chunks...wood kit first....then maybe foam....and glass parts last. At least I could have been working on framing up the fuse while I'm waiting for the wing cores to be delivered.

It doesn't take much.

Even Carden did this for those on the last Extra run....and I didn't even ask for them to do it. Caroline just emailed me shortly after the date she originally told me it would ship...explained they were running behind...and then said they would split the order into 3 shipments spread out over about a 1 month time span. That worked perfectly for me. I was able to start framing the fuse and by the time I was finished with that, the fuse foam parts arrived....shortly after I finished with those, the wing cores arrived. It didn't bother me at all that they were actually almost 2 months late in shipping the complete kit.

The difference though was that Carden was up-front about the delays and then gave me realistic dates of when they could get caught-up.

ORIGINAL: gotshocked

I'm glad to see everyone’s opinion, but small company or not it only takes a few items to satisfy customers.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 PM
DaveMiller

Hello,

Well I can say I have 5 kits from them and Im on the list as well with a delay but Im waiting. I emailed them today and they have been always upfront. We all have waits from one company to the next for things we want from Carden, Aerotech, Aeroworks and I waited a year for my EF Yak and was told the same story its comming or it going to ship soon. Yes I like this company and others and will spend alot more in the future with them as many in here have. In a perfect world we all would get what we want when we want.

Thanks

Dave Miller
Old 02-12-2005, 11:08 PM
EJB

I'm on the "list" as well for the 35% Yak.Was told the kits would be shipped late Jan. or early Feb.
Well here it is the middle of Feb.
Talked to John last week & got the same story..."waiting for the parts".

Say Dave,did you have to wait on those other 5 kits as well? How long?

It's too bad Aeroworks isn't making this kit as my friends & I have never waited for any one of their kits when they were making kits.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Jecarte

Dave Miller,
Its not just the wait, its un updated web site, the non existent manuals, no pictures, etc...
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 AM
newshoundaussie

Dave interested to here what John has to say in his email back to you?
Old 02-13-2005, 08:29 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave, what 5 planes do you have? I will be out your way on vacation next month and would love to be able to actually see an Aerotech fly. I live in Carden country and would like to see what else is out there in person. What field do you fly at? Maybe we could hook up. If not, I would like to be able to see what the Giant Scale scene is like out there and at least possibly check out your planes. Thanks in advance, Craig
Old 02-13-2005, 09:26 AM
jmiracle

ORIGINAL: EJB
It's too bad Aeroworks isn't making this kit as my friends & I have never waited for any one of their kits when they were making kits.

Not intending to take this thread off-topic...but thought it's worth mentioning Aeroworks will be bringing back all of their old kits soon. The kits will also include pre-sheeted foam parts.....should save a lot of time for those who hate that part of a build.
AW also has a bunch of new stuff in the works....including some composite planes. [X(] If you're going to the Toledo show this year, they'll be unveiling a lot of it there.

And its starting to look like something positive may come from my Yak kit getting canceled. I have a very good chance of being able to pick up an early production build of Chip Hyde's new 34% Extra ARF! It's basically a reworked Aeroworks Extra so it should fly great...and the pictures on his website look really good. A buddy of mine is doing all of the building for the planes AW and Chip will be displaying at Toledo...he told me he should get it within a couple of weeks. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:26 AM
DaveMiller

Hello,

I have a 35% Velox, 42% Velox, 42% Extra300, 42% Edge 540t, 37% Cap 232 and a Yak Kit on order. I would rather wait a few extra to get it. Its up to you, but for my money the product is first rate. Remember small companys supply small companys like Carden, Aerotech etc. So when they are backed up it delays your product. Thats why Carden has extensive wait times for product and they have delays also even when they come to the expected delivery date. My Carden Cap was that way. The run date came and went andthey were working as fast as they coul 5 weeks later I got the call its was ready to ship. Did I get in here and let loose even though I got the same answers. NO...I hope whatever you guys do have fun but try not to trash these guys. They are the back backbone of whats left in the kit industry.

Thanks

Dave Miller
Old 02-13-2005, 09:59 AM
jmiracle

Now wait a minute...I don't think anywhere here I have "bashed" Aerotech. I'm just trying to find out if my experience is typical or the exception. I still don't know.

Again, I'm beginning to think there was a miscommunication between John and myself...he at first agreed to ship minus the cowl and canopy...then a couple weeks later its like he forgot all about it. What was I supposed to think?? Something just didn't smell right to me, so I cancelled.
Yes, I've had to wait longer than expected for other kits...Carden included...but I also never got the run-around like I seemed to get from Aerotech. Now there is likely a very good reason why I was told what I was told.

Dave, I realize you're a huge Aerotech fan...but it might help to realize no company is perfect and will make mistakes from time to time. The difference between those companies is how they pick themselves up afterwards. So far I see no reason to think Aerotech is out to screw over the customer...but I do think they dropped the ball in my case.

ORIGINAL: DaveMiller

Hello,

I have a 35% Velox, 42% Velox, 42% Extra300, 42% Edge 540t, 37% Cap 232 and a Yak Kit on order. I would rather wait a few extra to get it. Its up to you, but for my money the product is first rate. Remember small companys supply small companys like Carden, Aerotech etc. So when they are backed up it delays your product. Thats why Carden has extensive wait times for product and they have delays also even when they come to the expected delivery date. My Carden Cap was that way. The run date came and went andthey were working as fast as they coul 5 weeks later I got the call its was ready to ship. Did I get in here and let loose even though I got the same answers. NO...I hope whatever you guys do have fun but try not to trash these guys. They are the back backbone of whats left in the kit industry.

Thanks

Dave Miller
Old 02-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Harrier3D

Hello,

Things happen. I know my experience has been positive. Im sure it was a mistake or mis communication, but not a run around. At least in my last two purchases. For value and a great Bird they have it. Could also be some growing pains. Who knows. They have my vote.

Later
Old 02-13-2005, 01:51 PM
DaveMiller

Hi,

Im not a Fan of anyone, just have had good buying experience from them as well as Carden. I went though some bad times with other companies ARF's that I wont mention who they are. I simply bought one kit liked the kit, value and the performance. This lead me to my future purchases. Have I had some delays sure, did I feel jerked around, NO. These companies Carden included since I have bought from them and had similar delays on the kit due to parts not in yet. My EF Yak took a year of the same story. But I stuck it out and its a great little plane. So in closing I hope whatever you do it your have fun with it.

Thanks

Dave Miller
Old 02-13-2005, 06:08 PM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

Going to pick up my YAK from John on Friday,CAN'T WAIT !
Donnie
Old 02-13-2005, 07:24 PM
selwyn
My Feedback: (19)

What size 35 or 40%...I know some have the big one, but is there anyone out there that has ordered and received their 35% Yaks yet?

ORIGINAL: flying skunks

Going to pick up my YAK from John on Friday,CAN'T WAIT !
Donnie
Old 02-13-2005, 07:24 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave, again what field do you fly at? My wife, kids and I are visiting relatives out there and I would like to see what kind of field the GS guys have out there (not to mention some quiet time away!). Trust me, not asking to fly anyones planes, would just like to check out your field and maybe the Aerotechs. Thanks again, Craig
Old 02-13-2005, 09:42 PM
grnd0
My Feedback: (4)

Back to the Velox II. When is it supposed to arrive.

Larry
Old 02-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Jecarte

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
Old 02-13-2005, 09:54 PM
grnd0
My Feedback: (4)

I hear ya. I've had one on order since Nov 11. I'm real
close to bailing.

Larry
Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 PM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

I have ordered a 35%er,had a ZDZ 120 looking for a good home.While there I plan on ordering a 40% yak.Perfection takes time!Have flown one of there plane and it was very impressive.
Donnie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.