Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

R/C Nobler Topflite Gold Edition

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

R/C Nobler Topflite Gold Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:24 AM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: R/C Nobler Topflite Gold Edition

as of yesterday it is ready to fly
only missing paint on cowl and roundels for the wing
(all in the mail ) paint and roundels that is LOL
how are you coming along Jim

Jean
Old 01-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Davesplace80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind --- I figured it out. It was the left over part between the fuselage and belly pan...

Did you guys get two 1\8 full ribs included in the kit? They are not die cut but seperate from everything else. They are the full shape of the wing with no spar cutouts and have a rectangle section cut out of the center. I will get a pic of them tonight. ANy ideas what they are for?

dave
Old 01-17-2005, 07:07 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Ok Pics will be included. I have the retract servo installed and they work. I had to move the throttle servo to the rear to clear the retract servo bolts. You will see in the pic. The top sheeting on the wing was left off for the photo. I have done a quick cg check and will have to have the battery as shown on the plans. Keep in mind I put 2 servos in the tail as / per big bird. This took out the wood beam mounts, push rods and supports. My plan was the removal of excess plus lightning holes would lighten the tail to compensate for the servos in the tail. Preliminary looks like it is working out. Got to run,, wifey calling.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73621.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	216671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38118.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	216672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76677.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	216673  
Old 01-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Davesplace80

After finishing the wings I noticed that I should have opened up the space where the ribs join the spars to get the proper fit. What I am wondering is should I join the wings as they are with the trailing edges not flat (with about 3\4 inch under each wing tip) or should I make a wedge for the root rib of 1\2 inch to make the trailing flat. See attached picture.

Thanks

Name:	Qo41017.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	217538  
Old 01-20-2005, 09:45 AM
jimcork1

There two important things you must do with the wings. They must be structurally sound and symmetrical. If you have dihedral or a straight wing it won't matter if you are a capable pilot. The difference will be the sensitivy of the plane in the roll mode with ailerons.

You must have the joiner ribs together and the spars. I have put Fiberglas over the joins also where possible. I am concerned with the strength of this wing with out a joiner cloth. If your wing has a tapered leading edge as in your drawing this is not a big issue if the taper is symmetrical and the wing fits into the fuselage. Hope this helps. Look at the wing in the previous post for a view of the glas. Jim
Old 01-20-2005, 09:47 AM
jimcork1

One additional item I now have the retracts functioning properly. They weren't very difficult to set up. But I did add a hardwood support beam across the rib where the material was removed for the spring to retract. Don't know if this will keep the retracts in the wing when landing on grass, but at least it is now stronger. Thanks for the info on them breaking out.. Jim
Old 01-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Davesplace80

Thanks for the info. I was concerned with the trailing edges not being flat when the wing is standing on them. What I did was cut away some of the trailing edge at the root ribs and move the root ribs into place. Now I am in the process of making small wedges for the leading edge of the root ribs to make everything line up as it should. This will make the trailing edge at 90deg with the root ribs. It really wasn't as much trouble as I thought it was going to be. I be glassing the center section that doesn't have the sheeting through both wings, as I learned that from having a wing fold that wasn't glassed. :-)
Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 AM
jimcork1

Plane is ready to cover. The retracts fit and work nicely.. however I am still concerned if they will stay in the wing while landing on grass. I did add a hardwood 1/4x1/4" support under the spring coil on the rib with the cutout. Don't know if this is strong enough,, still looks weak.

I built the servos in the tail "like the big birds" due to the push rod clearances. I was planning to use 30 oz servo on the elev, until I notice the manual stated if you use 30 oz,, use 2 servos. UGH>> So I went with a standard servo,, Really didn't like the weight in the tail. Still have a 30 oz on the rud. Manual states use bigger for rudder to work at high speed. "might have to slow down".. but we will see how it works out.

I built the wing tips as advertised, but concerned after covering they will look like. [:'(].

I will use the La .46 and remote glow starter as previous post. Good idea. More to come.. Jim
Old 01-26-2005, 12:31 AM
skypupmut

I have 2 hs 77 low profile servos in tail and ballance without lead with batt pack under the tank at 3.5 inches just midle of range
she is now ready to fly with the FX .46
Old 01-26-2005, 04:53 AM
payback1

Hi there, I appreciate all of your posts. I'm new to R/C universe.

My Nobler is at 80 percent complete. Due to a stroke of lunicy I installed a tail wheel retract in my kit along with the mains. it works great but i am concerned of course about C.G. It feels right according to my "finger test".

Does your kit way in nose or tail heavy?
Thanks for the wing cloth reinforcement ideas. I wish GP had put more pictures in their manual.
Thanks, Payback1
Old 01-26-2005, 11:29 AM
skypupmut

the construction manual said it would come out nose heavy with the fx.46
so I placed the servos in the back and do not use the retracts( we fly off rough grass )
have problems posting photos
came out at 5 pounds 4 ounces
should moove out in style
Old 01-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Davesplace80

(for image uploads click reply or quote icons in any post above) I missed this line before but that is why the difficulty in posting pictures
Old 01-26-2005, 02:11 PM
skypupmut

thanks will try that latr
Old 01-28-2005, 08:44 AM
jimcork1

My nobler is almost covered. Whew,, what a pain with the belly pan. The wing was no fun either with these poorly designed wing tips. It is impossible to have a clean aerodynamic wing tip the way these are built. I will take and post photos if I finish the cover today. Functionally all works, but I am concerned the retracts will retract from the wing on the first landing. I am also concerned that ground taxi will be poor due to position of the wheels with the retracts. This is a design function and now a how built.

I added spruce to the cut rib for the strut coil to add some strength. The lite ply is just too weak after removing material.

More to come.. Jim

Don't have cg yet,, until I assemble after covering.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:59 AM
payback1

Hi, it sounds like your guys' planes are coming along pretty well. After your post I am dreading the belly pan phase, what was the most difficult part of it? and did the wing bolt up section work like in the plans.

I sure wish i could fit that 10 oz tank inside the plane. It doesn't even fit according to the dimensions in the plans, aargghh!! I think my back up 8 oz will work o.k. Has anyone been able to put in a 10 oz without butchering the heck out of the bulkheads? Maybe i should scratch that tank idea and put in some wing tanks instead. ha ha ha, if only.......

I agree that the wing tips are a very poor design so will be carving some P-51 style tips out of a soft balsa block. That should take another day and a half. I am pretty happy with this plane, even though it is taking all winter and a case of tylenol to build it.

keep 'em flying.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 AM
jimcork1

You're right the belly pan is.. [:'(]

Just make sure you put the sides on while it is on the fuselage so you can get a good line up. Mine fits well after much [:@]

I have completed covering the wing, fuse stab and rudder. I still need to attach the rudder. If I finish today I will add pics of the bird.

The servos linkage is not installed yet.

Covering the belly pan was [:'(], but finally finished it. [&:]

I havent' even thought about the cowl or the remote glow lighter yet.

I haven' t check cg since I started adding parts. Hopefully moving the battery will get the cg right. I am using a good running La .46.

Last check weight minus engine, spinner cowl and rec was 3 3/4#'s.

Jim
Old 01-30-2005, 08:58 PM
skypupmut

I was finally able to fit 10 oz tank by making a hole in the fire wall in line with the tank connections then covered the hone with thin ply and screws and a bit of silicone to seal it
the belly pan was a bit different but works ok
have to get those photos on ....durn

Jean
Old 01-31-2005, 02:52 AM
payback1

Hi there,
Thanks for the fuel tank idea skypup. I don't know if I can do that. but i would sure like to have that extra 2 oz of petrol along. I bet your using a
standard muffler to make that work.? I am going to have a serious look at it, If only someone made a 9 oz fuel tank i would be on cloud nine. No pun intended, ha ha.

This might sound funny JimCork but i used one of your build pictures as my desktop image. It sure helps when you can study someone else's work. Thanks. The only drawback was that my wife thinks I am totally "obsessed" with this "stupid plane". She's right, I told her to quit her complaining and to use her own computer, the one with the "stupid flowers" on it. That got a couple of laughs.

Has anyone used a bisson sports muffler, they have pipes straight down, it's different than the bison pitts muffler for sideways engines. ANyway, do you think
it would work well on this kit, as I am really trying to overcomplicate this thing. It would look sweeeet.

I watched my friend learn about tip stalls on final approach today. It WAS a Giles 202, fifth flight. He says, your pretty decent at repairs, wanna fix it. Sorry charlie, I'm obsessed with my Nobler. Sorry this post is so long, I'll try to borrow a camera for some pics.

Keep 'em flying. Payback1
Old 01-31-2005, 07:40 AM
jimcork1

Payback, glad the pics helped. I have completed covering. Whew.. but I think it looks ok and not the flying prune in the monokote adds.

I will shoot a photo today and post it. I have all the servos installed but no linkage. The engine is ready to mount but will hold off until the 8 oz Great Planes tank is ready. ( I thought about the 10 oz, but decided to go with 8). I haven't started the cowl.

The bad news is the canopy was cracked in the box. [:'(] Don't know if I will call for replacement or contine as is. Have a nice day. Jim
Old 01-31-2005, 04:06 PM
jimcork1

Ok now we are making progress. 2 servos in the tail flaps and retracts. Total weight minus canopy and cowl is 5# 4 oz. It could fly in this current form. Engine is installed all servos functional and tested. The CG came out rignt on the mark with 2 tail servos and the battery pack under the tank. Took a small shoe horn to get it all to fit but it does fit. I can't imagine what it would have been had I put the elev and rud servos in the fuse as per plans.

I did take photos and they are attached. Minus engine. It was installed after the photo.

Name:	Zx71668.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	223290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82270.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	223291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21970.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	223292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22307.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	223293  
Old 02-01-2005, 01:28 PM
skypupmut

trying one

Name:	Eh15669.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	223607  
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2005, 05:03 PM
jimcork1

Cool bird,, in Canadian colors, You did a really nice job on the covering.

How did you attach your canopy. and Wheels?

I have my bird in flying condition. Flaps, retracts and all equipment is operational. I still need to add the canopy and cowl. I installed a remote glow driver and battery charge plug so I don't have to take the wing off at home or to transport.

When will you have opportunity to fly. We have had 2 " of rain today and 25 mph winds so all planes are grounded.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:10 PM
skypupmut

the canopy is glued on with rc 56 and a narrow sticky moneycote around the edge
my cowl is in 2 pieces cut horizontally, I can take the botton part without takinf prop or muffler off
the cowl is reinforced with fiberglass tape and thin ca glue ( what a stink but it works fine
could E mail you a much better quality photo with more dfetails if you have fast connection
it is ready to fuel and fly
the whells are non retract as per plan and reinforced a bit around the blocks
have some robart covers I will probably put on the wires
Old 02-02-2005, 01:11 AM
payback1

Hi, good looking airplanes guys. sorry to hear about the cracked cockpit. Instacure has a "non frosting" ca that works pretty good.

good luck on your Maiden flights and please post what you thought if you can. I wish we had a digital camera, maybe i can convince
the wife that she needs one for some reason so it doesn't come out of the airplane hobby account. ha ha ha

did your throttle servo get in the way of the fuel tank installation or is that just me. probably just me. thanks for posting the pictures. they are truly worth a thousand words. If you don't mind sending me some pics my email is [email protected]

Payback1
Old 02-02-2005, 08:52 AM
skypupmut

no trbl with throttle I just used a Z bend at servo
thanks God for comp. radios LOL
awfull tight in there

and for the camera just tell her how much U will save on film, and not having to drive to the shop to have them developped, and less chemicals to spoil the environment
good luck LOL
it will not fly for a while yet
too much snow and too fluffing cold for my old bones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.