Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Spray can foam?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Spray can foam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:45 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Spray can foam?

If you buy the 2 part foam from fiberlay and mix it, it dries hard; it won't continue to expand. I use it all the time.

http://www.fiberlay.com/

Old 01-14-2005, 02:18 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just re-did my Twinjets nose with the spray foam stuff. The entire front end was gone almost up to the canopy a few years ago. The new nose worked out pretty good! I did a quick 5 min sanding job with a dremel and then by hand and got a wicked witch of the west appearence but its an old airplane so I dont mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64798.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	214929  
Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike.. i'm not familiar with plugs and your building techniques, but they are very interesting. did you make the plugs, cover them with fiberglass, and then take the foam out? i think i missed something because i thought you just used the foam structure, but that didn't seem right.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Soundq22

I have used this foam plenty of times in my planes. I started by wanting to secure some weights in the very tail of my first plane. After it was done, I realized that the tail end of the fuse while normally flexible if you squeeze on it, was now firm. I then started using it on stabs that you had to just slide through a hole in the fusealge on ARFs. I never really trusted using epoxy on the small amounts of area it was being epoxied to, so I spray some foam back in there and it is solid. The main thing you do need to look out for is that its in an open part of the fuselage and it has room to expand, if not you start popping holes all over.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the best threads I've seen in some time.
Some great ideas. Thanks to all.

Regards
Roby
Old 03-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Newmanator

Hi,

I recently converted a EP Wattage Mad Dog to glow. In the process of doing so I had to find a way to strengthen the frontal section of the fuse where I would secure the fuel tank. I used balse and expoxy to stiffen up the fuse hung a 4 oz. fuel tank and then used "Great Stuff" foam to fill in the rest of the area in turn re-enforcing the front of the fuse and securing my fuel tank.

Mike
Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
RC-Captain

sounds like a good idea, do you have picks ? Also I have use foam for other reasons and I know it expands as it hardens did you have any proplems ?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Newmanator

I will try and get some pics up from the conversion soon. As the foam expanded and hardened it followed the least resistant path in to the battery/reciever bay... At that point I used a knife to cut/shape to my liking. What I really liked is how it re-enforced the fuse as the wattage mad dog uses a thin plastic covering with almost no support.

I need to find a cheap digital camera!

Pics to come soon.

Mike