Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

New Twin ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Terror Dactyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Twin ARF

I will agree that the prototype is covered with a poor choice of color, but that was more a function of a printer that was not calibrated and that Niel had not said to make the base color red. He had thought the color came through as it let his machine. He said he has learned better now.

TM, you had better wait till Sat afternoon to try the IFS as you know how your knees get and I just have to say OOOPPPSS one more time.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:12 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

TD:

New name? Fine, but not "Terror Tactile." "Error Duck Tail" might be good, though.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rrudytoo,,

The plane in 552transco's post and in post are THE same plane..
And it is not my plane, the guy who owns it put on the 'fences'..
Do they help,, dunno how much, but that thing is as stable as
heck even at sllooowww speed..

Rbby

-------------
Old 01-04-2005, 01:55 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the late 70's Sticks had the Twin as shown and also a Bipe. Both flew great, the twin on 2 25's was a real delight to fly. Small enough to leave fully assembled for the quick flight on the way from the job.

The bipe was a quick build and a great performer. Shame they aren't around any more.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

A Bipe Stick! I had forgotten all about those! Maybe it's time for one of these to surface again. You're right, JimO. They were great flyers.

Al
Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Jimo
You are correct on the size.
Here it is in a Suburban,...took it prior to my Get A Way from Cedar guy!!!
By the way. I also installed the wing plates on the tips of my conversion, but did it to improve knife edge and reduce wing loading.
This thing already has the wings lengthened.
Twinman.
PS Come on Weekend....Let's see what it really can do!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40118.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	210657  
Old 01-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Terror Dactyl

TM
Dont forget to remind people to check and make sure that all the mixes are out of a program before you throw another plane on it and then let your soon to be EX-FRIEND (Not even as then I would have to break in someone new to be able to harrass this much) try to do a high speed knife edge and the thing goes to half throttle and no telling what else.

I will have to say that he did call me later the next day and fess up by saying he had just found the problem (BTW I do believe him).

This moral is to check the radio very carefully when you are setting up a new plane, even on a new radio.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, oh. Something bad must have occurred.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:41 PM
twinman

BillS
No, not really, but someone.....who will go as a "nameless dinosaur" was practicing spins and knife edge, at low altitude on the second flight in the world. Had to rescrew the landing gear.......See when he gets to play with this toy again!!!!!
I HAD NO TROUBLE, but not one to brag!!!!! Look out Saturday!!!
Tee Hee.
Twinman
Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM
BillS

Did the ‘nameless dinosaur’ become extinct due to flight skills or was there another reason? Did it have anything to do with big or heavy?

Bill
Old 01-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Terror Dactyl

Now Now Now Tm
I was not trying spins, but what was that mix again. HEH HEH HEH

I guess you are on the road again as you were not at the meeting last night, will catch you up this weekend.

Get ready for a "Junkyard Wars Event" at the field this year, as it is in the planning stage now.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:17 PM
JimO

Any of the sticks are a great flier and IMOP a great trainer. Easy to build, easy to work on, the engine hangs open in the front, and easy to repair. Not that a student will crash. I have an Ultra 40 with a Saito 60 for just plane fun.

Can you imagine a Twin stick doing a harrier or CROW.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:39 PM
twinman

"Can you imagine a Twin stick doing a harrier or CROW. "
Mmmmm.... Saturday is coming!!!!!!!! Thanks for the idea........not my plane!!!!!
Twinman
Old 01-06-2005, 03:59 PM
JimO

Now think of this with 2 4 strokers, What a sound !!!!! I think in the back corners of the basement down behind all the boxes of left over balsa, is a set of plans for the Twin Stik. On a quest, have a couple of Magnum 52's that need a home.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:35 PM
twinman

Jimo,
Will keep you posted on your suggested tricks (Sorry Cedar,,,,"performance envelop checks"). The Harrier should not be too bad with the engines linked to the rudder. Yes, four strokes on a twin do sound much better than two strokes, but NOT MY PLANE!!! Can you say unlimited vertical!!!!!!
Twinman
Old 01-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Terror Dactyl

TM
I think, that as you say it, the hair you have left, is turning blonde or you really need to get some glasses. I say this because there is no way in H***L the stick will harier with the amount of elevator surface it has and I would say that it would have about the same chance for hover as balancing a bowling ball on the point of a straight pin while jogging.

Now that being said, when I am able to get one and as I am assembling it the tricks that I did to the Aeroworks profile come to mind and I will gladly then see what this [8D] UGLY STEPCHILD [8D] can do then.

Do you still want to try for Sat noonish as I should be back to that side of town by then??
Old 01-08-2005, 08:40 PM
twinman

OK, today's testing
Engines, that are not mine, now have a good 15 minutes on them, so needle valve settings are turned in.
Engines are mixed to the rudder. In other words, if I go left rudder, the left engine goes to half throttle.
Ailevators on are on a switch. Flip the switch and up elevator also gives down on both ailerons.
Ailerons set to maximum throw. Rudder maximum throw I can get.
Go fly.
Vertical...unlimited with ASP 45's and 12x4 props.
Inverted. slight down elevator necessary and very controllable.
Knife edge. Just bearly will hold it, but could be done carefully. Need more engine off set...Meaning one engine needs to go closer to idle with rudder...This was proved later.
Could not get it to spin, but engines only come to 50% throttle with full rudder deflection. Later in this story found out how to do that!!
Inside and outside loops. Easy and straight.
Snap rolls..neat!!
NOW IT GETS INTERESTING.
Remember that comment about leaning out the engines? Full vertical and going for Hammer Head. With the mix,, not bad..uh oh,,serious case of quiet on one engine. Now time to find out what this thing can do. Aim down, full power and slowly pull out. Needs approximately 1/4 rudder control for level flight. Flew three circuits on one engine..bored and not my plane. Loops rolls, inverted, while concentration was necessary, it was not a big deal.
Hammer head... DON"T DO THAT AGAIN!!!! Can you say flat spin...NOW!! and going down. Engine, (note I said one) to idle and immediately it came out...going straight down. Power up slowly and pull out.
Hands shaking, time to land..one engine...good approach...touch down.. good roll. I wonder...( not my plane...!!) You guessed it. The dreaded single engine take off. Yes, it will do it. If you do not ALWAYS use rudder, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!!!!, but it will do it. Now, I did not say easy and do not recommend to try this on just anything.
Now that I am shaking...( You should see the guy from Cedar Hobbies!! Tee Hee), I give it to Spinman, who is not a twin flier. On two engines he takes off and has a ball, but cannot get the spin...with two engines. What is that manuver that it rotates around one wing tip? UH oh,,, serious quiet..he is flying it and doing well...No, Spinman, I DO NOT WANT IT BACK!!!, he not only landed it, but actually had to power up on approach and made a good landing.
Engines now set to come to 25% throttle with rudder. I know it will spin, but need more differential thrust!! This should help knife edge also.
Later,
Twinman
PS Radio Problem, will not fly tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

552transco,
Thats a TwinStick alright, I had one about 10 years ago, bought it used at the "Pioneer auction" in the S.F. bay area and it came with the instructions. I put OS 40 FP engines on it (my first twin) and it flew great until a battery connector pin failed on a low, high speed pass down the side of the runway, instant down elevator.
I've got it on video.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:45 PM
twinman

Yeah, I really hate it on full up........inverted low pass. Scattered one the whole length of a runway doing that.
twinman
Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 PM
twinman

Ok, Update on the testing. I love it when someone says "Take this and let us know how it flies".
In the previous post and testing, I noted that I had some trouble with Knife Edge and flat spins. I really hate to be told I cannot do something. I set up the engines to slave to the rudder above 50% throttle and the inside engine pull back to 50% throttle at full rudder throw if the engines are at full throttle. Knife edge was much improved, but still a problem in flat spin. Yes, I know, I can change the CG, but it flies good as is, so let's do this the hard way. Reprogram the radio.
Now the stage is set. More rudder deflection and engines set to pull back to 25% throttle at full rudder deflection. What I mean by this is that if the rudder goes to full right turn, the right engine will automatically and proportionally go the 25% throttle.
I have used this for years for really fantastic manuevers. There is one problem in that hovering control is difficult as the rudder REALLY is sensitive.
Off we go with the usual set of cheering crowds Spin Man and Rapter. Knife edge was fantastic and climbing. With work on my part, I think I can knife edge loop. Now for the big test, the inverted flat spin. Full throttle, full down elevator, full right aileron, full left rudder. (Remember the engine mix above). WOW from all present. We must be hitting 180 rpm and I am not kidding!...Lower..neat....lower,,,neat,, Ok, to get out of this type of spin with rudder to throttle mixing, just reverse the rudder and the throttle reverse and you fly out instantly, keeping the throttle at 50% or higher. Controls to neutral and full right rudder....uh...it is still spinning and coming down..More frantic rudder work...still spinning and getting lower!!! Much excited discussion by my helpers and nothing working....It is really low and spinning!!! HELP!!! I think is was Rapter yells, you have lost one engine!!!! Ok, now I understand the problem, if I reverse the rudder there is no other engine to pull it out. If I don't reverse it the one engine is screaming to keep the spin. Been here in a P-38 and an sweating. Throttle to idle NOW!!! Full up elevator...if falls out of the spin on one engine and 20 feet high. Yes, this thing will fly and be controllable on one engine.
It is flying level again and climbing, but my hands are shaking. Try to hand it to Spin Man and Rapter in that order, Do you think my buddies would help and shaking buddy?? NO WAY!!! " I don't want it!!!"
I land it and sit down in the pilot box. This is a fun Hobby!!! I keep telling myself that one!!
Due to comments on this forum and the testing done on this model, the following design changes have been done, but I do not have pictures of the complete changes. The nose is four inches longer, but still glued on, so you can do what you like. ( Third engine?), triangle stock in the nacelles for the firewalls, and the ailerons enlarged by 25%.
Ceder has finally announce a delivery date and pricing at http://www.cedarhobbies.net
Good luck and have fun..Why are my hands still shaking?
Twinman
Old 01-29-2005, 09:30 PM
JimO

Got to have one. Tried to place order on lineand get error message. Tried to send email to Cedar and get another error message. Tried on two computer's.
Any know problems or just everyone trying to get one

Jim
Old 01-29-2005, 10:41 PM
twinman

Do not know what the trouble is but forwarded your troubles to Cedar.
Twinman
Old 01-29-2005, 11:01 PM
nchouker
My Feedback: (1)

Gentlemen,
The wonders of the modern electronic age. Twinman called me on the
phone and says that there is some problem with the email contact from the Cedar
Hobbies website.
Until I can sort out the trouble, please contact me at my personal
email
address at [email protected] or [email protected]

Sorry for any problems,

Neil of Cedar Hobbies
Old 01-29-2005, 11:20 PM
BillS

Neil,

My sympathies.

A year ago in November the idiots at Yahoo shut down my corporate website causing considerable embarrassment to my company and consternation among many customers. Everyone at Yahoo was less than forthright about what transpired. A year ago I knew the names of eight super idiots who worked for Yahoo. We were treated with the most arrogant customer indifference I have encountered in 35 years. It took more time to determine they were stupid than to put up another web site.

I hope you have better results.

After a few minutes thought my advice would be:
Get on top of the situation early, record all conversations, and prepare to change vendors.

Bill S
Old 01-30-2005, 09:43 AM
JimO

Sent a not to Neil with the error messages.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.