Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:03 AM
GCMustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

I agree that it would be neat to evoke everyone's creativity and have them actually design something. Whether it be a hop-up, or an entire layout. Judging should be by RCU staff to avoid the creation of a popularity contest. Criteria would be creativity, implementation, usefulness, and cost. It wouldn't make sense to reward the entrants with the resources.

I think it would be even neater to have teams, so more than one user could pool their resources.

Prizes should be more universal items such as chargers, batteries, motors, dynos, lathes, set-up stations, etc.
I myself would love a Hudy Setup Station!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:40 AM
egojester

Default RE: RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

(Reply to dougi3000) quote: i dont know if members voting would be such a hot idea. you know what happens with electronics votes, they get a zillion fake votes.

Having the members vote for the winner is definitely the way to go, if it's done right -- and it can be. check out this link to see how it's done:
http://www.laboheme.uk.com/photo/gallery.htm
On this site, people can only vote once. I guess maybe there is a way to hack around that, but it seems pretty secure to me, and the best way to go for voting.

(BTW - If you want to, please vote for my image of the winged faire sitting on the bottle)
Old 01-31-2005, 10:43 AM
glassman50

Tech tips or home brew hop-ups would be good.
Judging by RCU staff
Gift certificates would be good so anyone could use them (not vehicle specific)
Old 01-31-2005, 11:21 AM
madcratebuilder
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KTIA_Dragon

Contest: Definitely a design contest (not store bought)
Categories:
- Truck
- Stadium
- Buggy
- Car
Criteria: Each a winner
- Originality
- Design
- Showmanship (the whole car condition, hop-ups, cleanliness, etc.)
- Overall
Judges: Members with the RCU Staff as the arbitrators (Staff can see imitations or bought designs better than members)
Prizes: Gift certificates to help hop-up that ride even more
I think this is the way to go. It is similar to what a cruise-in for real cars would do.. Categories like
Best Paint
Best Engineered
RCU Staff Choice
RCU staff should judge, maybe have a peoples choice that members could vote on.
As far as prizes....no entry fee, no prizes.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM
RC Nut Case
Banned

Best of Show Monster Truck (Sweetest looking)
Sponsored by the MT hop up retailers
Photograpy quality counts.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 PM
RRR
My Feedback: (30)

How about the most creatively modified? What you did and how you did it?Did you use store bought hop-ups?Did you make your own? Let staff and members vote. As far as prizes a gift card from some big Hobby shop would be nice and a Pix on the front of the RCU home page.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:15 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really feel the contest should be broken down to different catagories...
1. most helpful rcu member/members...

2.best action shot....

3.nicest vehicle... driver

4. nicest vehicle... shelf queen...

5. nicest paint job..... not professional!!!!!!

there are possibly a few more catagories that I missed, but contest should be open to all brands and types of r/c trucks and cars....
Judging to be done by RCU moderators not by members... Too much to keep an eye on....

Prizes definately should be gift certificates.. not actual merchandise... (more choice for winners)
Old 01-31-2005, 12:17 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KTIA_Dragon

Contest: Definitely a design contest (not store bought)
Categories:
- Truck
- Stadium
- Buggy
- Car
Criteria: Each a winner
- Originality
- Design
- Showmanship (the whole car condition, hop-ups, cleanliness, etc.)
- Overall
Judges: Members with the RCU Staff as the arbitrators (Staff can see imitations or bought designs better than members)
Prizes: Gift certificates to help hop-up that ride even more

defiantly a design contest, its take no creativity to buy hopups, and it takes no technical skill to paint (yes it takes skill, but not technical). rc's are technicalif you think about it, so lets see who can do the best original designs
Old 01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
scott78
My Feedback: (2)

I think definitly a scratch built contest would be the best. With small set of guidelines.Somthing that can be made from parts that are readily available to anyone.With gift certificates from tower for prizes,and/or radio gear or rtr vehicles.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:20 PM
chevyguy88

i like the idea of having the coolest stunt pic or video, that way it dosnt matter how grate your rc is its how you use it.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:36 PM
nbcaznmaster
My Feedback: (14)

I say the members should have a say in it though, you could make the Member's vote like 1/4th of your decision. We would still get a chance to vote but not enough of an effect so it COMPLETELY turn around the contest. I think the prizes shoudl really be in gift certificates or you could have a list to choose from as someone mentioned before. I agree with madcratebuilder's idea. The prizes shoudl be BIG/EXPENSIVE considering the popularity of this site. Maybe it could be a mix of all the ideas. LIke you have to turn in a article bout rc and stuff to test your knowledge. You have to turn in some action pics and pics of your car to test your creativity and stuff like that. Including all those ideas woudl really test some1's rc skillz.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 PM
summit_rules

Will this be a monthly contest???? I think it should be monthly. It would be awesome if you could give out r/c's for the winners.... Maybe not big expensive monster trucks, but maybe give out mini-t's or rc18t's. I think after a year, there should be a contest between all the monthly winners for the overall winner for that year!

I definitely say an action picture contest!!!!! That would be cool and allows even low-budget people compete.

Another good contest idea would be the best custom ride! R/C's are cool, but custom built ones are even cooler!!!!

I also think the staff should choose the winner.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:10 PM
fireguy01
My Feedback: (11)

How about a contest for best new concept for touring car design ?
Administration should determine the finalists and the finalists are voted on by the members. Then maybe the concept idea could be reviewed by a manufacturer for the possibility of production. If the manufacturer picks the idea up and the concept goes to kit, the winner could receive a "signed by a team driver" RTR version of the kit. Initially, the winner could get a free Platinum Membership upgrade for openers or a kit of choice from the manufacturer that picks the idea up.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:13 PM
MASTER YODA
My Feedback: (10)

Anybody thought of a design cotest? This could include everyone. Nothing would have to acctually be built, just a sweet chasis design, or suspension layout, drawn up, and submitted for judging.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 PM
RC_UK

not an action shot, i dont have that good a camera or someone with the patience to stand there for ages and get a good shot, im sure im not just speaking for myself.

painted body not professional, i think.

also the ideas in purple look good to me.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:20 PM
summit_rules

There are many ideas here........ And I still prefer teh action shots contest..... But anyways, I'm posting this because it's Jan 31st, which means tomorrow is the first day of Feb. Are you guys going to decide soon to get the contest rolling for Feb???? Just wondering, thanks!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
KawaKattacK2000
My Feedback: (10)

I think best action shot, or video is an excellent idea, and RCU should judge to avoid any favoritism.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM
poor judgement

yea the action shots is a cool idea, but isnt that more of a photography kind of comp rather than rc related stuff? not everyone will have a digi cam or a scanner, or even someone good enough to either drive or take the pics. personally i think it should be purely rc related, tho i do see where u are coming from mate, fake pics could be a prob too...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50151.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	223225  
Old 01-31-2005, 01:43 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definately have rcu jusge the contest... Too much favoritism with certain trucks.... Some of us drive less popular makes than others and would have no way of competing with them...
Old 01-31-2005, 02:44 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

my honest opinion.. anyone with money can build the prettiest.. the fastest.. custom etc.. car truck etc.. I'ts about time that we have a contest for the best modded ride for the cheapest amount.. Not everyone has the cash to just buy off the shelf hi po parts. Nice rides.. but the strongest yet honest homegrown enginiuty... We had the best show rc, the best rc bodie.. blah blah.. lets do this oldschool with people on a low budget!.. Team Entity.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:53 PM
rcmobile

...I agree that 'shelf queens' are not a good choice for a contest subject...and it's not because I don't have any ...I too, am guilty of running my prized irreplaceable Bruisers and Scorchers only a few times each season each, but I wouldn't consider them my regular runners, thus they don't belong in competition...it's true that beautiful paint work lasts a long time when they're not being taken out for a good thrashing, but isn't this hobby really about taking them out and thrashing them? I would feel much more inclined to vote in favor of a well-maintained, well used car or truck than a pristine model straight out of the box in beautiful livery that looks as though it may not ever have had a radio installed, let alone seen dirt...let's face it, we're in this hobby for the enjoyment of running the models, or we'd have stuck to static plastic models and saved ourselves a shipload of money ...so yes, let's see photos of models out there screaming around corners, leaping off jumps, kicking up rooster tails, or what have you, and don't be afraid to show the odd scar or two, it adds mucho street cred...(that's my 0.02 worth)

...where prizes are concerned, I also agree that a GC from a major retailer is best, because although the idea of winning a particular prize is attractive, it may not be anything that the winner will use, thus adding to the proliferation of NIB kits laying around in closets...(0.02 more)

thanx for listening!
spyder

>>if it served a purpose, it wouldn't be a hobby<<
Old 01-31-2005, 03:01 PM
biker dude 666

i think we should have a ddrag race, ok i know that would not be possible but like have people scan thier timesheets onto the computer, and have all sorts of different categories, that would be cool as shnat.

jon
Old 01-31-2005, 03:18 PM
rcmobile

...actually dude, I disagree...there is little point in focussing on only one aspect of our hobby...drags are fine for draggers but that cuts out what, maybe 89% of car and truck modellers? ...how fair is that? besides, anyone scanning in a timesheet could alter it, and thus defeat the purpose of the competition by their cheating...no, we need a forum that reaches across the board to all of us, and lets everyone be represented...action shots are great fun to look at, and they prove that the models are out there running...I also like the idea of a best home-engineered hop-up, but either way, the judging is going to be the most difficult thing to arrange, and should be left to a chosen panel, because as much as polling the membership is great, the logistics of so doing are very complex, and there are so many different splinter cells within the hobby that there's no way to expect to see a balanced vote...consider that if more (insert model name or category here) owners than anyone else vote, it's a safe bet that another (insert model name or category here) owner will win, even if it were up against a much more deserving model...

ORIGINAL: biker dude 666

i think we should have a ddrag race, ok i know that would not be possible but like have people scan thier timesheets onto the computer, and have all sorts of different categories, that would be cool as shnat.

jon
Old 01-31-2005, 03:27 PM
bobjoe00

perhaps the contest should be who can design the best truck,buggie,car ..not just its looks but everything about it.. and make it practical it must work .. ie cant put .46 in a mini cooper ..thats just stupid.

prizes should be winner & runner up ..something decent may-be have the winning vehicle produced

my cars..
associate MGT with savage .25 fully hopped up crome crome and more crome big joe tyres
hyper 7 truggie with savage .25 (very quick)
hpi nitro rush stadium truck
acme touring car
cen touring car
nitro evader stadium truck
2 ts-4n thunder tigers 1 subaru 1 bmw
Old 01-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Team PRD

There are many ideas here, but as stated before action shots limit some with poor cameras as do video shots, not everyone has that capability either. I realize this contest won't really be for everyone anyway since some don't have the tools or skills to compete, but this is the same is full scale too. Let's face it, if everyone could enter, then each would vote on their own and there would be no winner, just a boat load if ties, lol.
Custom paint jobs can be bought and really do nothing to reflect the person entering, this is evident at most RC events.
With keep it interesting and not boring, I feel it should be certainly custom vehicles of anykind and while the paint job is included in the voting, it isn't the main focus. It just helps is all. Attention to detail, design, functionality, etc. would be of interest. This allows for something to vote on, like skill, craftsmanship, etc. unlike who bought the most parts.
Of course the idea that was posted having categories and several winners is good too.
Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.