Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy Homasote

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Where can I buy Homasote

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 02:59 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I buy Homasote

Originally posted by Chevelle
Head to your local hardware store (Home Depot, etc.) and go to the accoustic ceiling tiles. Go for the 4'x2' pieces. Look for a pattern with the fewest holes. Use the UNDERSIDE. It is usually devoid of holes or bumps. It works great as a tack board and lays very flat on a flat surface. It is softer than Homasote but holds everything that you need when it comes to pinning.
This is how I covered the top of my workbench. 4'x2' tiles, flipped face down and screwed to the wooden top.

Cover the outer edges of the tiles with packing tape to keep them from crumbling when you rub against them.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:39 PM
linclogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I buy Homasote

I see this thread is still generating responses.

I did a little research into Homasote (and Homasote vs. Celotex). Here's what I found.

If you go to: http://www.homasote.com/where.html you can key in your Zip Code and then ask for a supplier within a given distance from your home. Just for the fun of it I put in "within 25 miles" and got 5 locations including Lowe's in my area (Home Depot DID NOT come back as a suplier of Homasote).

As mentioned in my earlier posts, I have always used a product called "Celotex" for building on. A search for Celotex was not as productive. When tried, I came up with information showing quite a few different products they make but could not identify any particular one of them as matching the original Celotex product I've used for years. Again, the old building boards I have appear to be exactly the same material that celing tiles are made of, but in 4' x 8' (x 1/2' thick) smooth sheets. It also appears the company may have changed hands and appears to have a heavy UK tie. A lot of the links found through a Google search yielded quite a few with UK origins. I also note referrence to a lot of lawsuits regarding Celotex products so there may be something in it that is not (or was not) considered "environmentally friendly".

An email to the Homasote company (asking if Homasote and Celotex were the same, or, if not the same brand, might be the same composition) generated the following response:

"Celotex is not a Homasote product-in fact for years it has been a
competitor. It is similar to Homasote with the exception that Homasote is
made from recycled paper and Celotex is made from wood fiber-both have great tack holding properties.
Sincerely, James Clunan, Homasote Company".

So it looks like the mystery of "where do I find Homasote" is solved. Go to the link shown above and key in your Zip Code - that should tell you where to find it where you live. If you're in Canada, perhaps you'll have to search in another way. There were ways to search other than using a Zip Code - that was just the easiest way for me to do it.

One more thing about these products. By themselves, they are quite flexible so you'd want to lay them on a totally flat surface for builing your plane. While they take and hold pins exceptionaly well, they are (or at least my Celotex was) only 1/2" thick. Sometimes that was not thick enough when you were trying to pin something down really hard. I liked to cut two pieces and laminate them together with something like "Liquid Nails". The lamination created made for a fairly stiff and flat surface, as long as you assured it was flat while curing! However, there can still be some flex, so I always check the board with a long straight edge and shim the board where needed (if necessary) before starting a model. But I'm thinking a better way yet might be to laminate the board to something like a hollow core door. Then you'd have the lightness and flatness of the door combined with the pin-holding properties of the Homasote or Celotex. Also, you could stand the whole door/building board affair up against the wall or possibly put it up in the rafters of your garage or shop when it wasn't being used for a project.