Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nitro's all the way!
47.76%
Electrics by far!
22.39%
Both are great!
29.85%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

electric vs. nitro

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 05:53 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: electric vs. nitro

I've been convinced that nitro's are good. I'm kinda 50/50 but still leaning towards electric just cause I don't have a nitro.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:27 PM
R/c Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connor I sugjest gettin a really cheap nitro and throwing a big .18 or .21 with some new gears flywheel and stuff it will move pretty good for cheap. Oh and go back to my forum (sh .28 in hot bodies tornado) See ya
Old 05-29-2005, 10:22 PM
EdsWords

I checked the poll, and it looks bad for electric which is sad. Electric stadium truck and touring car racing are perhaps the most trouble free and and fun types of racing I have ever participated in. I like my gas truck too so I voted for both.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:34 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Nitro is just more like full size race vehicles with combustion engines, clutches, transmissions and so on. They just do not make full size electric race vehicles on a professional basis. Like I said before I have both but like my nitro a whole lot more. But what I feel may not be for every one.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:58 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

i respect u 46u, cause ur not a tool like many nitro guys!

u make ur point noticed, and u don't bash at all, thats great!

i'd go with electric, cause my electric will smoke most of ur nitros 4 about 6 mins, then ma' batts die...

but i like nitro cause there faster out of the box, and the sound, and there size
Old 05-30-2005, 09:16 AM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

I have to go both here because my friend has some duratrax overdrive st and I have a brushless rustler. Before he would be able to easily murk me. Now with a nice $170 brushless system I think its fun to see the look on his face when I just easily pass him. Drag race is no competition because my acceleration just crushes him. Then again, I kinda like the whole nitro thing and its cool factor is up there. And my rustler makes a nice whining noise when I run so its not 100% silent or anywhere near it so that "electric isnt loud enough" is fake.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:45 PM
r40

how long does an electric's battery normally last. 6 mins doesnt sound very appealing and how long does it take to charge? im a nitro guy, but from what i have heard im considering electric
Old 05-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Wicked!!
My Feedback: (5)

I was just wondering what are we comparing? touring cars? mts? st? what?

Since most electrics are kits I am not sure how you can compare them right outa the box?
Old 05-30-2005, 07:16 PM
r40

electric's in general vs. nitro's in general. basically which do you prefer
the scream and kool factor of a nitro or
the acceleration and cheaper price of the electric
Old 05-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about neither electric nor nitro and go with gasoline/oil mix. All I have to do is purchase some gasoline, add a little oil, and pull the cord. Even spark plugs aren't as expensive as glow plugs and I can run a gasoline powered R/C when it is 115F+ outside without any headaches like a nitro R/C. Of course, the upfront cost, the over all size, and the lack of a nearby track may be a downside if someone wants to race something as large as a 1/6, 1/5 or 1/4 scale R/C though there is a large scale track here.

However, I also like my electrics since I can run them at night and don't have any tuning issues like the nitros do when the weather is 115F+ outside or as many cooling issues. Granted, I still temp the electric motors, speed controls, and lipo batteries. And of course, I can run the mini-electrics indoors without smelling gasoline nor nitro. By the way, below is the link to the 111 mph electric R/C which as far as I know is still the fasted R/C. If anyone knows of a faster world record "verifiable" R/C car, please post the link.
http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/fea...st_RC_Car.html

For the noise factor, I do like my nitros though I am just starting to run my Mugen mbX5 again and my other nitro is still collecting dust on a shelf, not on a track. Of course, I can't run the nitros too late at night unless I am at the track and they take a lot longer to clean and more maintenance.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:33 AM
bB626

i think both of them are great. when i first got my rc (nitro) from my bro, i raced one of my friend who has an electric down the street. when we both took off at the same time, my friend's rc blasts off quicker than mine and he got 2-speed. after that race i was thinking about getting an electric for myself, but i like the sound of nitro...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:43 PM
r40

normally how long do electric's batteries last and how long do they take to charge?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

It depends on the battery, the maH, and your charger.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:43 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With average batteries about 45 min to charge, and they last about 10-15 minutes.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:54 PM
r40

thats not very long. but i guess you could have a few battery packs and change them out when one dies
Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

i love Brushless power and Li-po's
before you know it your hobby will be all up in it
just like what happened to planes ...
people are converting there gas to brushless like mad and as soon
as the li-po that runs for a week straight comes out then ouch
the above mentioned is being used in lap-tops now only a matter of time
till it gets into your cars.....my brushless runs 15 to 20 minutes with no loss in power
i own 3 nitros the OFNA , Nitro Rustler ,& RC10GT hate them all never ran right
RC10 gt worked for 5 months till the engine piston rod broke my buddy can nevr get the air leaks out of his even the hobby shop couldnt fix it right too lean too rich air leak bad gastank lid ....bad glow plug...i can go on and on nitros are as good as a 84 firebird 305 motor lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23752.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	278740  
Old 05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Have they gotten the electric where they will power ¼ or 1/5-scale land or air vehicles? Seems like it would take one heck of a motor and battery.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:30 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/glow2electric.htm]glow to electric link hobbylobby[/link]
Glow Powered Airplanes Converted to Electric Power

Electric power is now much better than glow power. Electric "Outrunner" motors are so powerful and efficient that they are better power sources for RC airplanes than glow engines. Airplanes that were moderate performers with glow engines become superb performers with outrunner motors. They take off faster, climb and perform aerobatics better with Outrunner motors.
What about flight duration? The new Lithium batteries let the airplanes fly longer than they used to fly with glow engines.

These are not idle claims. Try one of these airplanes with the recommended electric power and you will be convinced.

If you already own a glow powered airplane that is similar in size, weight and general performance to one of the following converted glow airplanes, then the electric equipment that we are recommending for our converted glow airplane will work very well in your airplane.

Do you want to convert your glow airplane to electric? If so, Hobby Lobby can help. If we do not show your plane as one of the planes we've converted to electric power, please take a few minutes to complete the questions below. The more information about your plane you can provide the better the information we will supply.
Funtana .90 Glow to Electric Conversion
The setup below provides
1026 watts to the propeller.
[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/glow2econ.htm]glow converted to electric link[/link]
applying this to your nitro cars will be fun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79877.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	278751  
Old 05-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: tf2psycho
i love Brushless power and Li-po's
before you know it your hobby will be all up in it
just like what happened to planes ...
What brushless speed control do you use? I was thinking that the ESC is one of the big issues with brushless R/C cars--brakes. If it wasn't it probably wouldn't have taken Castle so long to come out with something for 1/18th or 1/10th scale. Of course another issue is probably the constant "bashing" to the lipos on an off-road track compared to overall airplane or helicopter performance. Then the gasoline R/C cars will run for a very, very long time on a tank of gasoline and can just be refueled in a quick pit.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:27 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

i run 20minutes at a time and switch lipos as fast as filling a tank so dont see any point
i will not bash nitro anymore just tired of all the nitro problems and glad to have changed over to the future of li-po and brushless .....the combustion engine is so
yesterday
Old 05-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: tf2psycho

i run 20minutes at a time and switch lipos as fast as filling a tank so dont see any point
i will not bash nitro anymore just tired of all the nitro problems and glad to have changed over to the future of li-po and brushless .....the combustion engine is so
yesterday
I'd love to have a race with you to see if I can poor gasoline faster into a tank than you can change LiPos. So where have you raced gasoline 1/4 scale, 1/5 scale or 1/6 scale R/Cs? By the way, I can run for a lot longer than 20 minutes.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:43 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

when your hobby gets taken over by li-po thats in lap-tops you will be saying that psycho was right now i can drive my car for a week without charging yes!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

In case you didn't read the earlier posts, I already run brushless motors and lipos in some of my cars. For that matter, I'm even using the Nomadio Sensor transmitter/transciever already so it's not like I am not open minded for new technology "WHEN IT GETS HERE".

However, the fact of the matter is that I can run a large scale R/C car for around 40-45 minutes on a single take of gasoline/oil mix and all it takes is a simple pit to add more fuel which can be done in seconds "RIGHT NOW". Meanwhile, you can run your LiPos for only "20 minutes," probably taking twice that long to charge them, even if you could change the LiPos out as fast as I can poor gasoline. And the LiPos that I am running in my R/C cars also don't appear to be getting 20 minutes run time though I could probably change the gearing--I am running 11.1v 1900 3-cell LiPos. Are you running any LiPos in any R/C cars? Which model R/C car and which brushless set up?

Also, what charger(s) are you using to charge your LiPos and are you using a "bunker" to charge the LiPos inside? I have an MRC 969, a Triton and a Thunder Power charger though I don't use the MRC 969 to charge LiPos and I've just picked up the Thunder Power so I could charge two lipos at a time.

By the way, how hot do your brushless motors get when running 4 LiPos back-to-back? I'm just wondering since if you get get 20 minutes run time off of each one and if I refueled after 40 minutes, that would be around 4 LiPos to my two tanks of gasoline. I am also wondering, do you have any links to any videos of any automobiles catching on fire after crashing a gasoline R/C? I thought that those videos of LiPo powered R/Cs burning up automobiles looked pretty deadly or kind of scary at the least.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
r40

sorry for sounding like a complete noob (i know alot about nitro and nothing about electric) but i would like to know what a li-po is and what brushless is
Old 05-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: r40
sorry for sounding like a complete noob (i know alot about nitro and nothing about electric) but i would like to know what a li-po is and what brushless is
There are "brushed" motors and "brushless" electric motors. The brushless motors require a "brushless" speed control which is why the Castle Creations Mamba-25 has been such a big hit with the 1/18th scale R/C crowd. Novak has also came out with the THE SUPER SPORT PLUS PROGRAMMABLE BRUSHLESS/BRUSH ESC: http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html

A Li-Po battery is just another type of battery that requires a different type of charger from the standard Ni-CD or Ni-MH. Some chargers such as the Triton can charge LiPos, LiIons, NiCd, NiMH, and Acid batteries. Here is a link to a charging and safety pamphlet: http://www.thunderpower-batteries.co.../charging.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.