Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Luge Maiden Flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Luge Maiden Flight

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:50 PM
lugebob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet Luge Maiden Flight

Your Profile Pict Of the Blue Smoke JetLuge

And another of today's big surprise. ( I promise I only wanted to go 75mph officer) Time to buy the JEtCat speed sensor I would say.
[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17751.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	309772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18873.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	309773  
Old 08-14-2005, 12:37 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damm thats just way too fast 3 inchies off the deck. By my calculations those little wheels are turning about 13,577 RPM at 90mph. You may need to change the name to green smoke. Scott
Old 08-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

is it time to add a smoke system ???[&:]
Old 08-14-2005, 02:22 PM
lugebob

Hmm dang that is over 230 turns per second and ahhhhhhh 4280 g's of centrifical force??? that can't be right... My concern is the CF will cause the ureathane to leave the hub, although it is mechanically and chemically bonded. We run these babies all day in the 70 mph range with some real hard cornering, but this is a bit more. Not only time for the Jet Cat Airspeed tube, and smoke, but 4 more wheels for backup..... unless of course someone designs me some hover wings.. (just enough lift to skim the earth)

At least if I ad a smoke system I can call it a public service vehicle... Blue Smoke High Speed Street Sweeping and Skeeter Spraying Service.

bob
Old 08-14-2005, 03:07 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

I think my calculations are close- I used 3 inch diameter for the wheels so that gives a 7 inch circumference. 90 mph=475,200 feet per hour=7920 feet per min=132 feet per second. So 7920 x 12/7=13,577 RPM- I'm sure that some one will jump in and correct me if I am wrong-Ya gonna need more grease!! Scott
Old 08-14-2005, 09:16 PM
lugebob

GSR... you are plenty close on the rpm for guessing 3 inches... the wheels are acutally 92mm and I get something like 13370 RPM.. screaming just the same.. What I think was wrong was how I got the Centrifical Force of the spinning mass (wheels) ... at 4280 g's .

Grease? we dont use no stinking grease.. it will fly off the race and balls at those rpms. Grease and over oiling also can cause the seals to suck in and drag on the balls and cage at extremely high RPM. I use one drop of low viscosity synthetic machine oil (secret stuff) on the ceramic balls. IT spins forever.

have a good night

PS. I was just reading the Jet Cat manual and see cruise control.... does anyone use this function?

bob
Old 08-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

bob...
what kind of weight (mass) do your wheels have?
in a tight turn to you have to worry about gyroscopicprecession ?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 AM
lugebob

New Videos from last weekend. They are unedited and in a raw directory.. Hey, my choice is to work on the machine or make a website. I think the website can wait for the bad weather days.

I was told by the guy that video'ed, that the video does no justice to the showing the true speed, but pay attention to the rev sound of the Hemi Dodge Ram as I pull away..

And yes. I am also surprised at the performance of this so early on in the project.. Anyone know of any long smooth roads in the Maryland/DC area that have little to no traffic and driveways?

[link=http://www.jetluge.net/video.html]Jet Luge Video Directory[/link]

PS, I never notice the gyroscopic effect before... maybe that is why it is so hard to turn at high speed. each wheel weighs about 1 lb.

www.mirdrag.com 20 August
bob
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Bob,

Really cool videos. How does the acceleration feel. From the video once you getting rolling it looks like it really starts to take off and you pick up speed.

JR Gautreaux
Old 08-17-2005, 11:04 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

cruise controll might be perfect for you !!! it works with the pittot tube speed sensor device. You set low and high speeds, and the stick controlls the desired speed per its position ( as oposed to the default where stick position controlls the desired RPM on the turbine)

as an example, if you set low stick to 0 MPH( idle) and high to 80mph, then 1/2 stick is setting a desired speed of 40MPH. At 1/2 stick the turbine ECU would do what it needs to keep you at 40... uphill you'd get more thrust, and less down hill .... the only thing you won't get is braking obviously.

pittot tube placement would be importans so as to place it in unobstructed air flow ... you might have to set up a vertical fin to mount it on so its out of the disturbed air flying off of your body .. ....

speaking of fins, you guys ever think of using them to assist in controll ?? down force generators ?

awesome stuff Bob !!

Wojtek
Old 08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Anyone know of any long smooth roads in the Maryland/DC area that have little to no traffic and driveways?
I-95 South
Old 08-17-2005, 06:44 PM
robert440kts
My Feedback: (1)

LOL LOL!! REALLY cool stuff dude!!