Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

On Board glow starter

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

On Board glow starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:00 PM
fastplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: On Board glow starter

I don't know if 2 strokes are bad inverted or not. I only have 2 years of RC flying. But, my friends say they can work fine.
Some of the expensive pattern planes have inverted 2 strokes and do just fine.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

I have kept from inverting any of the two strokes that I have owned. As a friend of mine had nothing but
trouble with them inverted. One solution I have seen by a couple of people were to start the plane upside down
to get the engine warmed up and then shut it down once warmed up and restart it in the normal position.
What glow plug are you using in your two stroke?
John
Old 09-14-2005, 06:30 PM
fastplane

Jgraham10, yes I am a little disappointed with the inverted engine. I have tried starting upside down and not sure it makes a lot of difference. I am using OS # 8 glow plug.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
bbbair

ORIGINAL: jgraham10

I have kept from inverting any of the two strokes that I have owned. As a friend of mine had nothing but
trouble with them inverted. One solution I have seen by a couple of people were to start the plane upside down
to get the engine warmed up and then shut it down once warmed up and restart it in the normal position.
What glow plug are you using in your two stroke?
John
The problem with inverted engines is that fuel tends to pool in the top of the cylinder head - which is where the glow plug is located. [] This tends to 'Cool' the glow plug filiment and cause problems in both starting and running (especially if the engine is running rich or has been flooded).

The problem can be cured by using a 'hot plug' that has a 'bar' on it (the bar keeps fuel off of the filiment) and tuning it accordingly.

Four stroke engines work better inverted because they are designed to stay 'hotter - longer' and can work through the extra fuel (nature of the beast )

Some folks have gone so far as to mount an on board system to keep the glow plug 'Hot' when inverted to solve this problem - to each their own.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBBAIR said what this forum said http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3248296
I have seen 2 strokes mounted upside down but I haven't seen anyone fly them successfully at our field.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The 46AX runs great inverted. Never have a problem. Have to be very very sparing on the after run oil though. Also running 2 batteries in parallel keeps the voltage the same and ups the amps. Might help those cold starts work for you.