Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airworld Hawk Building thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airworld Hawk Building thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:44 PM
David Gladwin

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts
Default RE: Airworld Hawk Building thread

Hi Dick, Mark and Gudmund,

The Hawk is structurally finished but quite a number of small things to do , control horns, door hingeing etc so will be a couple of weeks before I start equipment installation. BUT it already looks magnificent.

I'll keep you posted on further progress.

The kit description is in next RCJI and that will be followed by the assembly article and that will be followed by equipment installation using state of the art components and , of course , flying.

My guess about the airbrake operation is that when hydraulic power is fed to the down side of the landing gear jacks , that pressure is also fed to the air brake retraction jack so selecting gear down automatically retaracts the brake. And yes it is powerful in the fullsize ! Sorry Dick not coming to UK this Xmas and the Hawk will NOT be easy to air transport but I hope to have it in NI for next JWM complete with removeable fin and three coloured smoke.

Traplet will shortly be releasing a photo CD of the Red Arrows Hawk in closeup.

This kit is , IMO, going to be even more popular than the L39.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:50 AM
David Gladwin

The book I mentioned in an earlier post has arrived. It is a magnificent work featuring about 150 photos mostly of the Hawk and Red Arrows operations, a very good coffee table book for the quality of the photos. As well as pictures it has some excellent BAe engineering drawings of the Hawk including for the supplementary flap section, or vane, as BAe calls it. There won't be quite enough space in the Air World Hawk to fit a truly scale vane but in any case not all of it can be seen. I will include this feature on mine when I have figured out how to make them.

This book is a "must have" document for anyone completing an AW Hawk to competition standard and , if I may say so, the soon to be released Traplet CD of all of the photos I took during my visit to the Reds last month. Many of those pix will be featured in a walkround article coming up soon in RCJI but the disc will have them all. Together they will provide all of the references one could need for a world class model.

Progress on the model has slowed recently but the intakes are all in and the lips faired as is all the work (considerable and time consuming) to make center hinged ailerons and all the control surface horns. Those on my machine will all use fullsize type ball couplers for a totally slop free, but almost frictionless, linkages.

Hingeing of gear doors is next, then the canopy.

I have had some correspondence with another Hawk builder on engine choice. The Jetcat 160 or similar is perfect but so is the AMTNL Pegasus HP..Bennie VDG suggests that the duct is rather small and NACA intakes may need to be cut on the duct. Problem is that there is no source of air to these ducts exept the rather small heat exchanger intakes on the fuse. The answer may be to make a larger diameter duct with a flat on the bottom so as not to foul the wing, as used on the MAS Vigilante. (and on the Boeing 737-300 etc)

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 AM
Gazzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

Any chance you can elaborate on the tri colour smoke system, and how it is expected to work, or is it a secret which I could appreciate.?!!!

Gazzer
Old 10-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Falcon 64

Just too bad I haven`t got mine yet, so that I can progress it simontaniously with yours.
I`ll have a Frankturbine 70/16 in it.
Can you measure the max allowed diameter for the pipe at the rear? And the lenght of the pipe?

Brg
Gudmund

Old 10-31-2005, 08:51 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Well,

My good wife has just called me and said "You have just had the world's largest box delivered!"

Guess my Hawk is here

Rgds,
Mark
Old 10-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Gazzer

But will it fit in that Audi?

Gazzer
Old 10-31-2005, 08:57 AM
schroedm

LOL

Trust me - they'll be pics if it does and pics if it doesn't

Wife did suggest we put the Audi in the box the model came in!! - I do admire the way she always thinks "outside the box"
Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Any wife or girlfriend who truly likes RC jets let alone supports your hobby fullheartily is definately a GREAT woman and a REAL keeper!!

My ex didnt like the hobby and could never understand what we saw in it!! Guess she was actually just bummed cause I was always gone on weekends flying and didnt spend enough time with her.Needless to say she's now long gone LOL

Where have all the good ones gone,my buddies here have wives who allow them to stay out in the garage till all hours of the night and even allow them to eat their dinner out there too if they so desire to do so ..mannnnnn

Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Gazzer

Fenntress,

Hopefully your wife doesn't read this site, else you are in BIG trouble!!

Schroeder also once posted a picture of his most charming and pretty wife, posing with a model airplane.......

He also has a Ferrari.

I am leading to the fact that "some guys have all the luck"!

Now I will also be in trouble if my missus sees this........[&:]

Gazzer
Old 10-31-2005, 09:47 AM
Gazzer

OOOOOppppsssssss..

Didn't read properly, perhaps Mrs Ex Fentress did read the site...............[:@]

Gazzer
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 AM
schroedm

Gazzer,

Erm, I now have a 5 week old baby, a tired and slightly irritable wife, no Ferrari and an Audi !! [&:] Everyone's "luck" runs out!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Gazzer

Schroeder,

Ah, so we have the greatest gift anyone can ever have...... when did you say your luck run out?

I've never owned a Ferrari and have a 13 year old son! But I think I am as lucky as you just 13 years and 5 months more of it!!!!

Audi is good, and a slightly irritable wife, well, ain't that an improvement!!!!

Oh and did you not just get a Hawk?

I am sure were on the same wavelength, becoming a parent is better than jets, probably a lot more expensive mind but ultimately the best hobby ever!!!

Congratulations belated though they be,

Gazzer - Volvo driver and proud father!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM
schroedm

Yeah, you're right mate! I'd bin all the jets overnight for my little fella!

Now, let's get this thread back on track!

Rgds,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18891.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	346521  
Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 PM
schroedm

IT FITS!!!!!!

JUST!!!!! Got about 1cm to spare

Great fun unpacking the box - biggest WOW factor was the u/c and the scale cockpit!! Seriously nice bits of kit!

Anyone wanna see pics!?!?!

Rgds,
Mark

Name:	Us54759.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	346657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25374.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	346658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89980.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	346659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37845.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	346660  
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Dave03B

Old 10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Falcon 64

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Anyone wanna see pics!?!?!

Rgds,
Mark

Mmmmm
Old 10-31-2005, 04:42 PM
schroedm

Rather than post loads of dull pics - anything in particular you'd like a few good pics of?

I like the cockpit kit so here's a few of that!....

Mark

Name:	Vt57861.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	346682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22732.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	346683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92797.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	346684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80552.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	346685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73537.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	346686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54079.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	346687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47740.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	346688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99284.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	346689  

Old 10-31-2005, 05:16 PM
schroedm

The gear is a work of art and VERY solid - finally some real grass strip friendly gear! Some beautiful ballracing too. Span the wheels and they were still silently spinning about 30sec later!!....

Name:	Ro41696.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	346702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70940.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	346703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28551.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	346704  
Old 11-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Falcon 64

Wooww.. And the retracts are hydraulic, or??

The bad thing for me, is I will have to buy another car too..
Is it possible to have a picture of it "assembled" with a person behind it, to give it a scale?

Gudmund
Old 11-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Dave03B

Gudmund, These should help give it scale

Name:	Bz79584.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	346960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17335.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	346961  
Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 AM
schroedm

David, admittedly I need to have a closer look at mine to see how it can work but did you replicate the smaller door sitting proud of the larger door when the gear is down as on Thomas's model and on the fullsize?

If so, is there some elaborate hinging required? From the full size pic you can see a little link arm that seems to do the job of offsetting the small door as the gear is lowered?

Cheers,
Mark

Name:	Ig11971.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	347025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40189.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	347026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25021.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	347027  
Old 11-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Gazzer ,I'm actually single now and choose to stay that way for awhile! [8D]my ex(not wife but a long term relationship) never read this site ,I made sure to NEVER give her the website link info!! LOL

I'm a tight -wade ,hey atleast I'm honest huh?If I ever get married she better have her own money-just kidding [&:].Mark,on a different note since Ferrari's were mentioned .I asked you this before and forgot the answer.Which Ferrari do you own again ?I'm leaning strongly towards getting one next year after I buy my new house.I spent hours last night browsing the "Dupont Registry" site here in the US.It is a site of major eye candy and a great source for all exotic cars.As a "troublesome teen" I constantly told my parents one day I will own an exotic car and they used to laugh and say yeah OK whatever.Well after many years of hard work and building my successful business to where it is today I can now afford one.I plan to pay cash if I decide to buy one and I am budgeting a max of $80,000 US ,it appears that for that price range I can get either a 348 Spyder or Testarossa in the years of 90-97.All have very low miles(no more than 20,000) .Would you go for the 348 or the testarossa in your opinion given the price range I want to stay in??Pro/cons of each if any?? I figured you are the man to ask as I don't know anyone else who owns one or knows anything about them for that matter.I just bought an 02 Mustang Cobra convertible in march and it's very fast but I just want an exotic now-its a must have for me !! I have already modified my Cobra as much as I plan too(its putting out 390 at the rear wheels now)I am a total fast car nut!! [sm=bananahead.gif]

What HP range are most of the inline 12's in the Ferrari's putting out?I have a totally clean driving record(knock on wood) and I have yet to check insurance on Ferrari's.I know many companies here in the US wont even touch them .I need to justify the yearly insurance premiums more than the price of the car ,esp. since it wont be driven but like 1-2 times a month and never in the winter of course.I only drive my Mustang approx. once a week and it only has 12,000 miles on it.It is just so awesome to be able to wake up on a nice sunny morning and go for a long drive with the top down.I love driving to the outer banks in NC(nags head/cape hatteras)

TIA,Steve
Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
David Gladwin

The tertiary door is already done on the kit, you have to work out how to hinge it and I haven't done that yet.

The main gear door hinges require a lot of work and the supplied horns are a starting point only, be prepared !The problem is that one needs to keep the main doors clear of the smoke pod and the gear door location makes this tight, some critical work is required here, don't rush it.

Don't want to be rude can we keep this thread to the point, what it is intended for, the Airworld and BAe Hawk, We have already seen a HUGE amount of dilution of the Savex L39 issue, may I suggest we keep to the matter in hand in this thread ?

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:03 AM
schroedm

David,

Out of interest, are you using air rams or servos to operate the doors? I was going to use servos so that I could use a door sequencer and use that to simply adjust the endpoints so the doors didn't foul the smoke pod?!

Also, what hinges have you used to hinge the nose gear doors? I am going to install everything to do with the nose gear at the weekend and am just thinking through the process and gathering parts.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 AM
David Gladwin

I plan to use servos at the moment. Doors open will be at the end of the servo stroke, doors closed will be such that the servo arm rotation produces little or no door movement (i. e. the near over-center position, as we used to use on JPX gas valves. )

The length of the nose gear doors needs to be increased, the secondary nose door reduced for scale accuracy. See the BAe drawings in the book or side elevation on my photo CD. The correct position of the noseleg is such that the projected rear line of the nose strut upper casing needs to pass through a point 1/2 inch on front of the bottom front of the windscreen. This appears to require that the front nose former is 2mm ahead of the nose gear cutout, and the best of luck in hingeing the secondary nose gear door !

Regards,

David Gladwin

P.S. Just received the Traplet JWM video including film of the Hawk. best video yet produced by Traplet, broadcast standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.