Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage sucks big time

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Polar_Bus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: savage sucks big time

ORIGINAL: bryston

does anyone of you run it on grass? if you dont there is no point to talk about it. the truck will not run on grass for a long time with a 4.6.
1- yes there is a problem with the first gear , this why HPI came up with a heavy duty replacement, and i think there is a post on this site with pics about the problem.e
2- i used a alum. clutch shoe , did not help that much, as a mater of fact was worse on the grass since it grips to tight and stresses the spur gear. but it works fine on dirt roads
3- i have no problem tunning the engine, rc cars not my main thing, tons of plane engines
4-finaly , why did HPI came out with metal spur gear if the plastic one are ok?
I am going to guess by your lack of knowledge, and terrible spelling you are about 11 years old. We get annoyed when a B/S talking newbie comes in here ranting how lousy a Savage is when it's totally obvious the poster has absolutely no clue what they are doing. If you are so good with nitro planes, stick with them, because it's obvious by reading all your negitive posts, you have no idea what you are talking about as far as a Savage.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:53 PM
bryston
My Feedback: (2)

why do you get annoyed? you are the one who is acting like a kid. ok savage is the best MT . DONT CRY...
Old 12-11-2005, 08:29 PM
keith01

the savage i have has run in grass mud graveldirt sand and about anywhere you can think of and i dont have a problem at all with gears striping the only thing thats broke is suspension and thats my fault.it sounds like your getting in a hurry when you fix your savage and your just half way getting it going
Old 12-11-2005, 08:45 PM
racer man05

ok well i guess ill flame some now. i oly run on grass mmmmk. i run on a grass field that has some bumbs and hills and stuff that i jump. with the K4.6 the first upgrade you shold do is allu 3 shoe clutch. its practically a must and the spur gear thing. i believe the metal spur gear was made for use with bigger engines. for example all teh guy that drop a .32 in teh svage or something. made to handle the power i think. oh an it also sounds like ur slipper is set to loose.

*yells at mayhem, go get me some more popcorn!*
Old 12-11-2005, 08:52 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

bryston, HPI came out with a Metal spur gear simply to make extra money. Noobs think that the metal spur gear is better, and buy it as well. When the tranny dies, they must buy a new tranny, and it's even more money for HPI. It's just a money-making scheme. HPI wins.

*Brings in half a gallon of popcorn for racer man and me*
Old 12-11-2005, 09:14 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

* No soda? *
Old 12-11-2005, 09:19 PM
nicholsm04

Bah, another one of these threads.

If you're having that much problems with your Savage, either you got a lemon, or you're doing something wrong. Are you sure that you did a good job on break-in? If you don't get a good break-in, the motor isnt going to run right. I love my Savage. I have a Revo too, and I love em both. Great trucks. Neither is better than the other, unless you break it down by category, then yes, the Savage is better than the Revo in some categories, and the Revo is better than the savage in some categories.

As for your problems, I think you may be doing something wrong, I have never heard of this many problems on a Savage.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Alvin, the soda is in the cup-holder
Old 12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
XtmSucks

ORIGINAL: racer man05

ok well i guess ill flame some now. i oly run on grass mmmmk. i run on a grass field that has some bumbs and hills and stuff that i jump. with the K4.6 the first upgrade you shold do is allu 3 shoe clutch. its practically a must and the spur gear thing. i believe the metal spur gear was made for use with bigger engines. for example all teh guy that drop a .32 in teh svage or something. made to handle the power i think. oh an it also sounds like ur slipper is set to loose.
Still no need for a metal spur. There are people running eb modded Rossi .28 8ports and still running a plastic spur.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 PM
racer man05

well there is the proof. you just have to set it right
Old 12-11-2005, 09:42 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO
ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

Alvin, the soda is in the cup-holder
Old 12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
paperclipracer
My Feedback: (3)

well i work at a hobby shop, and im the guy that works on the trucks that ppl bring in. and as long as we have been open i've only worked on 2 yes 2 savages and we been open for a long time now. i love my savage havent broken a darn thing. maybe you just know the lemmon truck from the factory. im sorry man thats just the way it go's sometimes. its funny to think about it. we carry a lot of traxxas and hpi parts, and at least 5-10 people come in bringing there t-maxxs and revos in looking for parts or repair, but i would say only about 3-5 savage guys come in looking for parts and its are number one seller at the hobby shop
Old 12-11-2005, 09:50 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

paper...couldn't have said it better myself. I noticed the same thing when i worked at my LHS...we sold easily 10x the suspension arms for the T-maxx than we did for the Savage.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
nicholsm04

Yes, the T-Maxx had horrible suspension components, and I believe that the only time the Savage suspension isnt great is in the really cold weather. But not many people run in the snow, so that doesn't really matter.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Question, if it's cold outside, and you have ur Savage in the garage, do parts become weaker after they've warmed up?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

nah. the cold just causes them to contract...making them stiffer, but more brittle. opposite happens when it gets warm
Old 12-11-2005, 11:01 PM
hpisavage79

Okay i got peanuts and beer who wants some lol. Just hang in there bro it will get better, that is another reason why i got the rtr instead if the kit i dont have the experince to build a kit.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:05 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Who wants Quiznos? I got 30 Club sandwiches w/ bacon. All toasty!!!

Junkie, thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 11:32 PM
hpisavage79

I'll take one, thank you lol
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 AM
racer man05

wo almost turned this post into a virtual world of emotes... lol

can i have one too?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 AM
-SomeGuy-

*takes one and throws it at mayhem*

lets turn this post into a FOOD FIGHT!!!

*takes handfull of popcorn and throws it at racer*
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 AM
thunderw0lf

ORIGINAL: bryston

does anyone of you run it on grass? if you dont there is no point to talk about it. the truck will not run on grass for a long time with a 4.6.
1- yes there is a problem with the first gear , this why HPI came up with a heavy duty replacement, and i think there is a post on this site with pics about the problem.e
2- i used a alum. clutch shoe , did not help that much, as a mater of fact was worse on the grass since it grips to tight and stresses the spur gear. but it works fine on dirt roads
3- i have no problem tunning the engine, rc cars not my main thing, tons of plane engines
4-finaly , why did HPI came out with metal spur gear if the plastic one are ok?

I'd say 90% of my running is on grass. And yes I did melt a few spurs as I said before, fixed the melted teeth with aluminum clutch shoes. Had a few that melted the center becasue I had the slipper too loose, I've found that any more than 1/8 turn from fully tightened is too losse for my truck. See that's another thing, it's my truck not yours so my settings may not work on yours and you may be able to run it looser than me. Every Savage is gonna be difference and it'll take some tweaking to find the best settings for it.

Yup, I had the problem with the the tranny and I promptly replaced it with the heavy gear. No more problems.

Alright, who hit me with the bratwurst? I need a bun to go with it ya know.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:51 AM
ace007

Hey Bryston,I bet when you get your driver license and your first real car you are going to one of those people that never check the oil or gas or even if the tires have air in them.Just get in and go is probally your motto.

p.s. Sorry about the braut.Here's your bun
Old 12-12-2005, 12:51 AM
racer man05

*gets bludgeoned by popcorn.*

*picks up alvins soda and chunks it at someguy...*
Old 12-12-2005, 01:05 AM
hpisavage79

too full and too drunk to even dodge food being thrown. ahh my tummy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.