Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Best gas areobatic trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Best gas areobatic trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Best gas areobatic trainer

It's gonna fly very nicely.[8D]

If you do a search here, you'll find that a few other guys have converted the 4* to gas power as well. Maybe try the engine conversions forum. I think I'm the only one to discuss it in the kit building forum.

It's a solid platform for small gas engines. Plenty of wing area to support the additional load without making it fly like a powered manhole cover. Good solid aerobatics from a nice sized plane. They don't really have any bad habits that I've ever seen.

This will be my second 4*120. The first one had an OS 120 Surpass 4-stroke and it was underpowered for my taste and flying altitude out here in Colorado.

Hopefully, I'll be finished in a few weeks.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:04 AM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking foward to it!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:42 AM
goplaneman

Decided the Four Star 1.20 is just not what im looking for in a plane, Would like more info on the Decathlon.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Flying Hog

There is a building thread on the Dynaflight Decathlon.. Also the Wendell Hostetler 30 and 33% Decathlon. I built the 30% last year and have been having a blast flying it ever since. I wanted a big airplane, but see too many Edges, Extras at the field. I wanted to be different and am not into all that 3D stuff. The Decathlon ( no matter which one you build) Flies great. I also have the Carl Goldberg ARF Decathlon. I'm thinking about putting a small gas engine in it this year. Here's a video I did last year of my 30% http://media.putfile.com/Bobs-Super-Decathlon Hope I have answered a few Questions.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One item that was not noted so far is what size gas engine? What is currently owned, if one is owned at all? What size plane is the owner likely to fly later.

If you don't already have a gas engine, consider a purchase that will easily transfer to later aircraft, and not limit you to one size plane. 35cc is limiting, 50cc has more current options, with more options constantly arriving on the market. Larger than 50cc may have you flying larger planes that you can comfortably transport.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:25 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

If you has no engine, you might want to think about the MVVS 58. It's a bit heavier than the 50's, but more powerful in case you end up with a bit larger plane in the future.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:10 PM
goplaneman

I havent bought an engine yet, was looking at a G38 or G26.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Flying Hog

Then you want the Dynaflight Decathlon.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:25 AM
goplaneman

Thats what I was looking at. The problem is I have only built one kit, and Im a little disgaurged if I can build it.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:55 PM
goplaneman

Can anyone tell me how the Bud Nosen Citabria flies? 108" wing span.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 PM
babflyer
My Feedback: (2)

hanger 9 had a cliped wing taylor craft arf designed for a g23-26. If your after planes such as a citabria, taylorcraft, decathalon then check that out. If you mean your just getting into gs aerobatics by the term trainer then dont waste your time or money. A 30-35% plane such as an extra, edge, cap, ect. is going to make you much happier and actually be easier to fly than the high wing planes mentioned. Any decent GS aerobat lands really easy as long as you dont get to nervouse because of a few extra bucks. I dont understand why people always suggest "stick" type planes when first plane questions are asked. Those planes are not going to be that much easier or forgiving to prevent a crash, if you can fly them you can fly anything so why get something ugly that is only a little bit cheaper if any.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Flying Hog

UGLY??????????
Old 01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
euclid

got to agree on the h9 Taylorcraft. Now made by minicraft, they are fantastic. Easy to assemble, 84" wingspan, high wing. Similar to the cub, but a tad prettier in the red and white!
Currently flying mine with an MVVS 26, bit lighter than the g26, plenty of power, performs mild aerobatics, loops, stalls, spins. Dont ask to hover it....(some things are just not meant to be!)
All in all, a beuatiful plane, my first gas plane whilst waiting for the nerve to fly my WildHare Edge 540 with DA 50.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Quote{Any decent GS aerobat lands really easy as long as you dont get to nervouse because of a few extra bucks. I dont understand why people always suggest "stick" type planes when first plane questions are asked. Those planes are not going to be that much easier or forgiving to prevent a crash, if you can fly them you can fly anything so why get something ugly that is only a little bit cheaper if any. }

I have to agree with Babflyer. I warmed up for my first true giant scale with a 12.5 lb 80 inch Aeroworks 300 profile. Somewhere near 17 ounce per square inch it flys real light. Having said that, a run of the mill 85 inch 29% Extra with about 27 ounces per square wing loading is the easiest thing to fly and land. On low rates it is as docile as a trainer, landings float and touch down unbelievably nice and easy.

The trick is to get a flight simulator and practice practice practice until thing become muscle memory. (you can do this on an actual plane but when you dumb thumb it it costs) Then whe you want to step up, without buying another plane you can increase the control throws and have an entirely new beast. Learn how to throttle manage and anticape the flight energies and you can win the game. They say that bigger is better and easier and I have been made a believer at less than 30%. What makes those guys with the 40 percent planes better pilots is confidence, a better flying plane, and practice.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Take an experienced giant scale pilot with you in the begining until the jitters are over and always stay two mistakes high. Don't matter if you are in a Cub or an Extra.

When in doubt, push on the elevator (inverted flight).[most of the time]
Old 01-24-2006, 11:07 PM
goplaneman

Its not my ability, I just like the way planes labled "Aerobatic Trainers" fly. I have a 1/4 scale cap 232, and I just dont enjoy flying it as much as a Tiger 60.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Flying Hog

O.K. goplaneman... How about this from Giant Scale Planes.... http://giantscaleplanes.com/supdecat.htm
Old 01-26-2006, 11:56 AM
goplaneman

I tried to get in touch with minicraft on the Taylorcraft, without success, is their someone in the US selling this ARF?
Old 01-27-2006, 07:41 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a little puzzled by this thread.

The most popular aerobatic combinations out there almost always involve either a DA-50 or Evo 58 and something in the 84-87" wingspan range, Edge, Extra, Cap, Katana, Yak. These are widely available from many vendors (including us, Wild Hare).

I think somebody is mixing something up. Even though the Decathlon is considered a trainer in full scale, that's not because it's easy to fly. It's because it's cheap. Many pilots learn aerobatics on a Decathlon because it's the only thing they can afford or it's all that is available.

When it comes down to trying to learn precision aerobatics, I don't think I can think of a worse combination than a Decathlon with a G38. The engine is heavy, the plane is impossible to fly in anything close to "precision", and some versions of the Decathlon are near impossible to handle on the ground.

I suggest our Edge 540T or Extra 300 Special with a DA-50. The plane on low rates is gentle and easy to fly, easy to land, won't get you into trouble. The DA-50 weighs less than a G38 and probably has twice the power and better handling. It will be useful for many years, the G38 you will fly a few times and then either put it in a drawer or sell it to a warbird guy.

If you don't like the Wild Hare plane, get one from one of the other ARF builders like Aeroworks, BME Aircraft, TOC aviation, Lanier, etc. I just want you to be succesful!

If you are serious about learning aerobatics and you start out with something like the Decathlon you will just end up either starting over or giving up.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare R/C
Old 01-27-2006, 08:58 AM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:51 AM
AJT

I'll 3rd that! Been there done that. A waist of money and time. EDGE would be perfect.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:58 AM
goplaneman

Was just looking for more of a "fun Fly " gasser. Something that will roll and KE without breaking the bank. I said in a earlyer post my favorite plane now is a tiger 60. I have a 1/4 scale cap 232 that I just dont enjoy flying as much as the Tiger 60, To twitchy.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Flying Hog

goplaneman...Don't let any one talk you into something you don't want..... If you want a Decathlon,Citabria, Taylorcraft, even a Cub.... Go for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:48 PM
torqmeister

AMEN!
ORIGINAL: rctom

I am a little puzzled by this thread.

The most popular aerobatic combinations out there almost always involve either a DA-50 or Evo 58 and something in the 84-87" wingspan range, Edge, Extra, Cap, Katana, Yak. These are widely available from many vendors (including us, Wild Hare).

I think somebody is mixing something up. Even though the Decathlon is considered a trainer in full scale, that's not because it's easy to fly. It's because it's cheap. Many pilots learn aerobatics on a Decathlon because it's the only thing they can afford or it's all that is available.

When it comes down to trying to learn precision aerobatics, I don't think I can think of a worse combination than a Decathlon with a G38. The engine is heavy, the plane is impossible to fly in anything close to "precision", and some versions of the Decathlon are near impossible to handle on the ground.

I suggest our Edge 540T or Extra 300 Special with a DA-50. The plane on low rates is gentle and easy to fly, easy to land, won't get you into trouble. The DA-50 weighs less than a G38 and probably has twice the power and better handling. It will be useful for many years, the G38 you will fly a few times and then either put it in a drawer or sell it to a warbird guy.

If you don't like the Wild Hare plane, get one from one of the other ARF builders like Aeroworks, BME Aircraft, TOC aviation, Lanier, etc. I just want you to be succesful!

If you are serious about learning aerobatics and you start out with something like the Decathlon you will just end up either starting over or giving up.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare R/C
Old 01-28-2006, 01:30 PM
goplaneman

Im to the point I dont know what I want. I guess I will just have to figure it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.