Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X, LST2, or Hellfire???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:31 PM
E-maxxer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage X, LST2, or Hellfire???

I dont care if you see **** and god wearing black for all I care. Looking through people is for people who never get looked at while trying to make your point. Your luck you might not drive your truck hard enough for any gears to strip.

DID YOU KNOW I didnt say all lst models have that problem?

WOW I guess your suppost to know more than me because you have more post.........wow what a loser.

Yea these are really lies when I have heard plenty of people talk about it.

Don't get me wrong now I like all the lst's just I have heard about that problem about a month ago.

Yes I know nothing so thats the whole point I said it? cmon be more mature than that.

People come hear to learn about this hobby not get insulted and put down (aka you suck ass about doing so)Not to hear from dumbasses like you who think they know everything.Im guessing if you know more than I do about this hobby then you have to much time on your hands and no life.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: E-maxxer

I dont care if you see **** and god wearing black for all I care. Looking through people is for people who never get looked at while trying to make your point. Your luck you might not drive your truck hard enough for any gears to strip.

DID YOU KNOW I didnt say all lst models have that problem?

WOW I guess your suppost to know more than me because you have more post.........wow what a loser.

Don't get me wrong now I like all the lst's just I have heard about that problem about a month ago.

Yes I know nothing so thats the whole point I said it? cmon be more mature than that.
People come hear to learn about this hobby not get insulted and put down (aka you suck ass about doing so)Not to hear from dumbasses like you who think they know everything.Im guessing if you know more than I do about this hobby then you have to much time on your hands and no life.
Quit talkin about maturity. You are the one calling names here. The phrases "Dumbasses" and "losers" are in every other sentence of yours.what are you, 6? Does your mommy know you are on the computer?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
A.B.U

I don't care if you see **** and god wearing black for all I care. Looking through people is for people who never get looked at while trying to make your point. Your luck you might not drive your truck hard enough for any gears to strip.

DID YOU KNOW I didn't say all lst models have that problem?

Hmm where to start..
Oh, I forgot to mention I've stripped a couple stock spurs! about 2, but oh no! Not compared to a typical Savvy owner! And I never brought up post count, you moron, you think you know by what you read improperly, so you assume you'rre a smartass know-it-all. Now.. I got your little email.. saying "check the form ur immatre basterd" Oh, how immature and low down can YOU actually be for sending my that? Ahh, right, thought so. Oh, I see your foot is in your mouth, too! May want to take it out.. Also, You know how I would know everything about the LST? I happen to own one, and I've stripped it all apart about 2 times. Oh yeah, how many times have you actually touched one, yet alone SEE one? Now, If I'm not mistaken, you were the one to first insult, so let alone by doing so, you're the immature one. Grow up, kid. BTW I'm not a grown man, but in about 2 years I will be legal. You obviously are from off that, and if you're not, then you need some help, dude, cause your head is as hard as a rock. Now keep the insults coming, because I know just about everything you don't, to prove you wrong.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 PM
spacecase25

there are 4 lst2 in my group and to many others to list, a couple have had serious transmision problems (not a big deal not 2trucks that come off the production line are the same not big deal) there okay trucks
Old 03-10-2006, 12:45 AM
aXeL718

I just want to say WOW good job on your english Patrick. Ive seen alot of german guys in america who dont know english as good as u.

P.s. to hamburger ...... what the hell is wrong with you listening to your HOBBY SHOP!! lst2 is more expensive! ofcourse they would say to get it... After youve purchased a car, then ask them questions! btw i have nothing against lst, looks like a great truck
Old 03-10-2006, 01:46 AM
boydie1

PatrickBW, both my savages started life out as the 25RTR before I started upgrading them. With drive-line issues because of the larger engines...I have basically had none. I upgraded to the 4 spider diffs (which your LE & X already have), I upgraded to the twin disc brake set-up (which your LE & X also have), I upgraded to alloy diff housings and diff cups which is because the Std plastic ones do eventually flex under load and finally I upgraded to alloy clutch shoes because anything over a .25 really should have then to stop slip. I'm still running the Std 25RTR drive shafts which are still looking okay, but my drive cups on the front and rear diff are starting to show signs off wear...after a year of abuse. Don't be afraid to upgrade your engine because your savvy can handle it.[8D]
My total cost of drive-line upgrades per sav was approx $150AUD or 93 Euro's, but this was done over a period of time
Hope this helps
Old 03-10-2006, 06:12 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info Boydie1... Now, to get back a little on topic.., the X got here today. I didn't have time to really look it over - just opened the box to make sure it was there... I didn't even take the plastic off the body. First thing that caught my eye though was the tires. They look to be of possibly dubious quality.. They just looked and felt cheap - I like my normal S25 tires - after all I've put them through, they still look and feel top quality, and with a spit shine would probably pass as new. I recently had an E-zilla - and overall I liked it. But I really have to say, the overall impression with respect to the quality of the parts was not nearly as positive(with the E-zilla..) as with my Savage 25 - the quality of the rubber anyway looked and felt like the crappy tires that come on the E-zilla. As I said, I'm not sure yet, I COULD BE WRONG.., cuz I only looked for like one mintue, then had to run. But I hope cuz Hot Bodies and HPI are connected that they didn't lower the quality-grade of the parts or cut any corners with X.

When I first got into this hobby like seven months ago, I was like no way would I spend €500 for a Savage. But the real clincher for me was actually seeing a new one up close and touching it. The quality was just extremely clear and obvious. Even the Revo (I bought my Savage at a hobby fair, after looking and feeling/pressing, etc. around on various trucks..) just didn't look like the same level of quality. I'm definitely not an RC-expert, but IMO and experience that first impression has proven very very correct - as in the appearance of quality wasn't just appearance, but reality. My Savage has been TOUGH(that's not an attack on LST's or Revos - only my experience..) And before I decide to keep the X, I just want to be sure that it is as well....

I think an LST2 is probably totally awesome, and in the States I'd probably be much more likely to buy one. But here in Germany they're just WAY too expensive(again, got my X on auction for €452 including shipping. With shipping an LST2 would be like €740.., plus - here in Germany - though they are connected with Graupner, I'd have to order parts and in general Losi/Graupner is just not as ubiquitouis as HPI.)

And thanks for the comment about my English - I THINK - ...I am an American after all... - AS WELL AS an English teacher....
Old 03-10-2006, 06:49 AM
HerrSavage

Hey, new question: I see there are quite a few Hellfire HO K4.6's on e-bay(guess the racer guys take 'em out for bigger upgrades..) Has anybody put one in or heard of anything about putting one of these into a Savage X...

Is it a "set it and forget it" type motor, or is it high-maintenance? I'm just assuming it would also be directly drop-innable(this isn't English class...) into a Savage. Or?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Chronic

Patrick, all three trucks are nice setups and you should be happy no matter what route you take. The Savage X is a good upgrade for someone just getting into the Savage line, but alot of the upgraded parts are still going to get swapped out by a hardcore Savage runner. I'll be trying the X suspension arms on my LE, but that's about all I can think of that I'm really interested in. I guess if you're buying a new Savage then the X is the way to go, but the normal 25 is just as good of a starting point if plan on serious modifications.
A Savage with a three speed and the 4.6 WOULD smoke an LST(1 or 2) in a straight line, but there aren't any factory trucks that come with that combo, so it's not really a fair comparison in this discussion. Don't waste your time on the 4.6 though. There are lots of other engines that are stronger and of similar quality, but cheaper in price. The STS .28, the SH .28 pro, the LRP .28 spec 2, the XTM big blocks, Mach and Sportwerks big block engines, etc......

Who told you guys that all of the issues from the LST1 have been fixed on the LST2? The LST2 arms are about as strong as a common toothpick. The LSTs are awesome trucks, but they aren't perfect by any means.

The Hellfire will eat either of the other trucks in any speed contest except for top speed. I haven't seen a Hellfire top out yet, but they are crazy fast around a track and the acceleration is alot better. I assume that the top end is limited by the single speed, but why really worry about top speed with a truck like that? I'd get something else though, if you don't race.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 AM
HerrSavage

Thanks for the input. The particulars of my situation though are as follows:

1.) I drunk e-bayed last week and the Savage X arrived today. About €100 less than shop price..

2.) I live in Germany, and for some reason the K4.6 isn't too insanely expensive here. I can get a new one for about €160. I've heard great things about the LRP Z28 Spec 2, but they're awfully hard to get over here for less than €200. I'd have to get that one shipped from the States. OR, order the SH28 out of Hong Kong. I also want to try to stay away from monster engines that will potentially cause drivetrain problems. The K4.6 appeals to me cuz it'd be a direct drop in, and from what I hear a good "set it and forget it" low maintenance option. And even though I'm a newb, I just don't believe they're that whimpy..

3.) I've had a box in my room for three months full of Savage tuning stuff.. Including a 3-speed - so I've already got that.

By this point I think I've more or less decided against the LST2 and Hellfire. And I'm leaning toward keeping the X, and just going all out and making it as awesome a beast as possible. I'm very seriously considering a K4.6(maybe even the one from the Hellfire..), putting the 3-speed in it, black Beadlocks, and a new body.

'Course the responsible thing to do would be to just sell it and live with my trusty ole' 25. But right now there's a spanking new Savage X just sitting on my bedroom floor. Screaming "Make me into the monster that you really want...."
Old 03-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Chronic

Awesome. I'd keep the Savage X too, since you already have it. Maybe consider selling the 25, but you could build it for racing or something if you don't want two setup for bashing.

It's not that the 4.6 is weak. It's just that there are better choices(here in the US) for less money. I know alot of racers actually prefer the 4.6 because of it's smooth power and consistency, so it has it positive points also......plus you already own one.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 AM
boydie1

If you keep both you've always got a "back-up" car to bash if you break something. There is nothing worse thank breaking something stupid within the first five minutes of bashing, having to pack up and go back home. [&o] But in the end its your money and only you can decide if you keep or sell it
Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 AM
HerrSavage

Somebody tell me something about the Hellfire motor for the X.. My dad just e-mailed and said he'd get me one on e-bay(I have to pay him back though...)

They seem to be reasonably priced..
Old 03-10-2006, 08:59 AM
HerrSavage

Yeah, you're right about having a backup car. Good idea..

The next problem though is, my girlfriend's real car is barely big enough for my one Savage plus accompanying stuff. Think I need a trailer next. Either that or she's gonna' have to get a station wagon...
Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: aXeL718

I just want to say WOW good job on your english Patrick. Ive seen alot of german guys in america who dont know english as good as u.

P.s. to hamburger ...... what the hell is wrong with you listening to your HOBBY SHOP!! lst2 is more expensive! ofcourse they would say to get it... After youve purchased a car, then ask them questions! btw i have nothing against lst, looks like a great truck
a hobby shop might make another $2 if they sell him an LST over a Savage X. Hobby shops make precisely dick on cars. the reason they sell cars in the first place is becasue they make money on replacement parts. The kid's lucky they didn't try to talk him into a t-maxx.

a typical hobby shop actually makes MORE on two packages of T-maxx suspension arms than they do on an entire T-maxx.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
spacecase25

youll be happy with your x go to this forum[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3914271/anchors_3914271/mpage_1/key_savage/anchor/tm.htm#3914271]x advice[/link] and follow there guidence it worked for me. ran one gallon and no problems i drive very aggressively its taken many hard shots. turning servo a must replace[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXDWF8]this servo rocks in my X[/link]

also my friend has a hellfire it freakin rocks it can bash too. if want to race this is what you want for the price it is worth it
Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 PM
HerrSavage

Well Spasecase25, what you said is reassuring, cuz I was just coming on to ask about toughness concerns. I just gave it a thorough look-over, and my overall first impression is that it just doesn't look as beefy as the old Savage. And that has me a bit concerned. The arms in particular look a little frail.. The chassis feels really solid, but the arms don't look reliable.

I think I've decided that, if I keep it(looking more and more that way, but there's always the possibilty to re-sell on e-bay....), I'm just going to go nuts and make it the ultimate Savage project over the next months. IMO, that means:

1.) Sell the F4.1 to recoup some money.

2.) Sell the wheels. I don't like the look or feel of the tires or rims at all.

3.) Sell the body. I seem to be evolving a black-only fleet of RC rides. I'm thinking Dodge Durango - in black.

4.) Top motor choice will be the LRP Z28 Spec 2. AND NOW HERE'S THE MAIN QUESTION/CONCERN - can the X hanlde that? I'd believe my 25 could, but the X?

5.) Zombie Max tires on black Beadlock rims.

6.) 3-speed, which I already have..

7.) Ribbed pipe, which I already have...

8) Hitech 645 servo, which yes I already have...

So, this is my thinking as of now, but what I really want to be sure about before I embark down this insanely impractical and expensive path, will the X(its arms in particular..) be able to handle the bigger tires and rims, as well as the (significant) increase in power from the Z28?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:33 PM
E-maxxer

Wow 16 dude if you only lived by me. Im 14 easy enough to say. Not 6 like what that other guy said. I haven't messed with a lst. I have seen a friend of mine at the hobby shop had one(not a beginner). He said he stripped spur gears to. But he also said he's stock transmission sucked. I started the immaturity first but ya need to stop calling me a kid because you ain't nothin but one to. I act like a kid? Yep I sure do and so do you because you keep contuning to do so. SO I am willing to quit if you are.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Wow 16 dude if you only lived by me. Im 14 easy enough to say. Not 6 like what that other guy said. I haven't messed with a lst. I have seen a friend of mine at the hobby shop had one(not a beginner). He said he stripped spur gears to. But he also said he's stock transmission sucked. I started the immaturity first but ya need to stop calling me a kid because you ain't nothin but one to. I act like a kid? Yep I sure do and so do you because you keep contuning to do so. SO I am willing to quit if you are.
just FYI, LST's don't break shocks...and he stripped his spurs from debris, not from a design flaw. the LST's transmission and suspension are bulletproof.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Kanza

Jeeze.. Last looked at these boards this morning, and it was all "keep the X." I've even heard that the X, with the K4.6 and the 3-speed would - and I quote "smoke" an LST2(that's just what I heard -and from a dude with an LST2 - but it was encouraging..) Now I guess all the LST guys have woken up..
It goes back and forth in here. You'll hear completely different opinions from day to day. In the end, you should just stick to the facts and buy what suits you best.

(And don't worry about the flames, they're just toys after all.)
Old 03-11-2006, 04:58 AM
HerrSavage

Well, this is what I've decided: I've got a lot of work in the next month or so, plus I have to move flats, so that's gonna take a ton of time. So for the time being the X is going back in the box on the shelf. My feeling NOW is to keep it, but sell:

1.) the motor(would like to keep it for my old-school 25, by I've simply got to cut some corners somewhere. I happen to like my NS25 too - runs great.
2.) the wheels and tires. I HATE both - they look cheap.
3.) the 2-speed
4.) the body - it's OK, but I prefer long SUV style bodies(which will also make mounting the motor-guard less of a problem). In the meantime, I have to learn how to paint a body. Thinking Dodge Durango. Black.
5.) the Rotostart. Who needs two rotostarts? Besides, the new motor might be pullstart.

It's gonna take some time to sell all that, but I reckon I should get at least €200.

Then, I have to buy a motor. I think the K4.6 is just the most sensible option. One thing I've noticed, the K4.6 for some weird reason is one of the VERY FEW things that is more expensive in the States than here in Germany. It's not cheap(findable for €160), but it's not just stupid expensive like the LRP Z28 Spec 2(at least €200). Plus, yeah I'm a newb, but I'm starting to suspect that some of these huge motors are just a bit overkill. I want useable, screaming high-RPM power - and in a reliable, easy to tune motor. Besides the Mach 26, which I could do for about the same price, but with more hassle cuz of the required mods, I don't know of a more sensible choice.(Piccos sound too un-tuner-friendly, and every vid I see with big Piccos, Collaris, SH 28's or even LRP Z28's for that motor, are primarily of wheelies in first gear, and flipping over very easily. Have seen some extremely cool vids with Picco 26's and Mach 28's, but you can only really get those in the States - and it costs $40 just for shipping for a motor from the States.)

So, in the end, my project will be to sell the aforementioned parts, and then to install:

1.) NS K4.6
2.) new body
3.) 3-speed
4.) new tires and rims - I already have a new set of Dirt Bonz and HPI chrome six-spokers sitting in a box. So, those unless I go for something bigger. The dream set-up would be Zombie Maxes with black 7-spoke offset Beadlocks(not impossible - my sister would get'em for me..)
5.) ribbed pipe
6.) Hitech servo

I have EVERYTHING already just sitting in a box(b-day present from the States from last year..), except the motor and the body. The motor I may very well not have to pay for, as my fam said they'd get it for me.. So in the end my X, thus pimped, could cost (ME) less than €300. With that rationale, it makes sense to keep it. Plus it gives me a project over the next months. Don't think I'd keep it as it is - just doesn't look as cool and tough as my old 25.. So anyway, that's my thinking for the time being. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. And any further ones would be appreciated. The weather here in Germany will be horrible for another good two months, so I'll be online brainsstorming for a while yet..
Old 03-11-2006, 05:06 AM
HerrSavage

My fleet..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28272.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	424059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48437.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	424060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56231.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	424061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70422.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	424062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd44145.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	424063  
Old 03-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Kanza

Nice, like the Lambo.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:57 PM
the dog

id get the lst2, hellfire and savage 4.6.
i have the hpi's and ill buy the lst2 later when time permits and weather. im tired of the cold..
Old 03-12-2006, 09:02 AM
HerrSavage

Thanks. Don't know if I'll ever drive with it though. Getting the body on is even more of a pain that the Hummer on my Savage(can't start either with the body on..) And I was suprised to see how thrashed the stock white Porsche body was - after one tank-full.. The exhuast sticks THROUGH the body, and practically melts it.. I plan on thrashing the car(assuming I ever get it running right - it is blistering fast, or WAS, till I curbed it at 30mph +. Got a new tuning chassis, but the tranny has my worried..), but for now anyway that's the shelf-queen body..

As for the LST2, I've kind of ruled that out. I got the X on e-bay for €452 shipped, and a new LST2 would cost about €740 shipped... That's a chunk.. I got my on-roader for about that difference... With the Hellfire I don't know. Would have to see on live, and then get lucky and find a great deal. Right now they're about €675 shipped - also a not small sum...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.